Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Ive realized we don’t really have a mod list for giving the best performance gains possible, so this is my attempt to get as much info down on a post as possible without being boring :p
Im going to start off by saying don’t be stupid, research what you’re buying. Make sure you know what work is involved and how much its going to cost you. I will be vague in some places because you should be doing some of the work :D

Now on to the fun stuff. Im going to keep this post about an NA motor, eventually when my motor shows up and I get my turbo build done there will be a post on FI but for now this will only be about NA. We will also pretty much only by using OEM parts.
First, a motor is an air pump the more air you can get in the more power you’re going to get out. Now I always see threads about what mods should I get first? Well lets keep in mind Im making this post for maximum gains, and not how loud its going to be, if you want to see big numbers expect noise.

First, don’t bother with an intake you’re gonna want an RRC or RBC mani and if you go that route your intake wont fit. Save up and get Flash pro or kpro if you plan on needing more features but in most cases flash pro should suffice. Now you have a way to tune the car so now you need to get a base map and get an e-tune done (google e-tune if you don’t know what that is) please do not daily your car on a base map. Once you have a tune setup heres a list of mods to go through…

1) Tubular header

2) No cat or a highflow cat

3) Exhaust 2.75 inch or bigger (Single outlet will yield more power)

4) Accessory lightweight pulleys DO not use any aftermarket crank pulley(EDIT: Unless it is balanced and weighted for that specific motor like this: http://www.hptautosport.com/store/e...rank-pulley-k-series-honda-civic-si-fd2-k20z3), there crap. If anything swap to a PRC-RRC pulley.

5) Most likely youll need a clutch too, Ive had great success with a Exedy stage 2 clutch and 8lbs Flywheel but I don’t recommend such a light flywheel. Once again OEM is there with an 11lbs Type R fly wheel.

Now I know I said to not get an intake, but at this point I would recommend doing this: Do It Yourself DIY Acura TSX Short Ram Intake Cold Air Induction reason being you’re gonna want a tune and that stock intake Sh*t box is restricting flow. Now I would recommend you take your car to a dyno and get a WOT tune, and do a partial throttle e-tune.

Basically at this point we’ve made the exhaust gases flow wonderfully but are still choking the intake side. The motor will rev down a lot quick and your shifts might be quicker as well but its still not as responsive as many would like. Well that’s because of the long runner RBB mani and the stock TB the TSX comes with. Heres a few more things to buy:

1) RBC or RRC manifold (depends on price range, some say you lose tq at the bottom end with the RBC but I did not really feel it) RRC will make slightly more power.

2) J35 TB

3) Gaskets for mani and TB

You can get all these items from AutoFair Honda on k20a.org. The guys there are great and know there stuff. With these mods I would recommend throwing your battery in the truck to gain some space under the hood. *Hondata recommends that you do not do this, but if done correctly there will be no side effects* Once you get the mani and TB in make sure you do a coolant by pass on the TB. You’re also going to need a custom intake (reason why you shouldn’t buy one in the beginning). Pipe is pipe, if its smooth on the inside its going to perform the same as any other pipe with a label on it. So my recommendation is to order these parts:

I decided to get my intake pipe bent to make it line up perfectly, it should only cost a few bucks, and in that case you can use these exact parts, I ened up not needing the extra 3" section but just incase you might want it. If you don’t want to bend the pipe you’ll need to mess with some couplers. Heres a few pics of the parts and install.

(You will need to have a shop bend the tubing just slightly to make it fit perfectly)

Now expect to run lean at WOT, you will need to add some fuel to your WOT columns. Get a FULL Dyno tune and expect to be around 215-225 whp*04-05 TSX 06-08 will make more because of better cams*(depends on the dyno). At this point if you have an 04-05 TSX you should look into getting the 06 TSX cams and a machined VTC gear to allow more degrees of movement with your cams. At this stage you’re looking at about 225-240 whp, youll also want to keep an eye on your injectors because it might be time to upgrade to the higher flowing RDX injectors. And these are all OEM parts, and just tweaking the tuning. All of these mods get rid of the “DBW lag” and un-responsiveness the TSX has. Hope fully this helps out a few newer guys and maybe even some older members :p. Either way my car is so much more fun to drive and a lot quicker than a stock TSX. Heres a quick video of me driving around to show the difference:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ldIcvH_Z15o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for reading, as always if you need any tips or help feel free to PM me. If there are any errors or suggestions or things you think I may have missed let me know!

EDIT: please keep in mind all power figures were recorded at sea level.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,326 Posts
Nice write-up man.

Pretty good gains too.

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
yeah man. Great write up. wish i would've known this before i got my injen cai a few years back. PS i also do the "neutral wiggle" when i drive lol

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, I'm not going to be satisfied with Hondata. Thankfully I rarely drive the thing. :)
What do you mean by that? You mean just a reflash?

yeah man. Great write up. wish i would've known this before i got my injen cai a few years back. PS i also do the "neutral wiggle" when i drive lol
lmao dude its freaking habit, I was watched the video afterwards and thought to my self damn I do that alot haha. Thanks! And yeah alot of people fall for the 250-300 dollar intake BS, its just pipe as long as it is slightly larger in diameter than your TB and smooth inside your golden!

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
What do you mean by that? You mean just a reflash?

lmao dude its freaking habit, I was watched the video afterwards and thought to my self damn I do that alot haha. Thanks! And yeah alot of people fall for the 250-300 dollar intake BS, its just pipe as long as it is slightly larger in diameter than your TB and smooth inside your golden!
So let me ask you a question..in the future i plan on getting flash pro but i am not interested in turbo. I just want an NA with a lil kick.
would it be ok if i get flashpro/tune/ rrc/ j37tb gaskets for needed parts/ ur pulleys/ replace my injen intake/ already have greddy evo 2 catback and FLP HFC. im really interested in CT header ( Less Issues)

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So let me ask you a question..in the future i plan on getting flash pro but i am not interested in turbo. I just want an NA with a lil kick.
would it be ok if i get flashpro/tune/ rrc/ j37tb gaskets for needed parts/ ur pulleys/ replace my injen intake/ already have greddy evo 2 catback and FLP HFC. im really interested in CT header ( Less Issues)
Sure that sounds perfectly fine, even if you go low boost -10psi flash pro is fine. Anything higher and you need some of the extra protection and features that only kpro has.

^ +1 for the wiggle lol ( i do the same,, its how i was taught) wiggle wiggle wiggle YEA!! lol nice write up!! ill be pming you when i start going for performance again
Yep my dads OCD so now I do it lol, Ill be here!

·
~t.sdz
1,579 Posts
Sure that sounds perfectly fine, even if you go low boost -10psi flash pro is fine. Anything higher and you need some of the extra protection and features that only kpro has.

Yep my dads OCD so now I do it lol, Ill be here!
am i missing anything i might NEED later on? i saw you mentioned rdx injectors and possibly cams

also on a side note: do you do all your work or do you have a great mechanic you can recommend. Because i have yet to find a trustworthy mechanic and i have this pax axle inner shaft i need replaced lol

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
am i missing anything i might NEED later on? i saw you mentioned rdx injectors and possibly cams

also on a side note: do you do all your work or do you have a great mechanic you can recommend. Because i have yet to find a trustworthy mechanic and i have this pax axle inner shaft i need replaced lol
You might want to do the injectors if you do cams then yes I would.

I do all my work, axles are that bad if your somewhat mechanically inclined :p

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Good write-up so far. :thumbsup:

What are your hp goals for NA? (before you go FI)
What's next? Cams and increased compression?

What relocation kit did you get for the battery in the trunk?
Im done with this motor its going into an EK once my new ERL block and drag cartel head comes. Im going to daily the EK and keep it where it is power wise.

Edit: missed the battery relocation part, All custom, I can give a parts list if needed, all stuff you can get online or at a local audio store

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
good stuff! after researching for months I have gained the knowledge you displayed in this one post. Good luck with your build.

Also more information on this "stage" of NA tuning can be found in past Import Tuner Magazine where they took a 2004 and performed these mods and more and got 250whp with mostly stock honda parts.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good stuff! after researching for months I have gained the knowledge you displayed in this one post. Good luck with your build.

Also more information on this "stage" of NA tuning can be found in past Import Tuner Magazine where they took a 2004 and performed these mods and more and got 250whp with mostly stock honda parts.
Thanks man, thats why I decided to post it, too many people ask about it we needed something :p

Exactly, Its awesome that we can mix and match parts and gain 100 hp. 250whp is insane for a 2.4l engine blows the sh*t out of other manufacturers. When it comes down to it I will always try to use OEM parts.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yeah exactly! When I finally get all my parts in, installed and tuned im gonna get me the sticker that says "99.9% stock" lol

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
I <3 My CL9
1,492 Posts
Im done with this motor its going into an EK once my new ERL block and drag cartel head comes. Im going to daily the EK and keep it where it is power wise.

Edit: missed the battery relocation part, All custom, I can give a parts list if needed, all stuff you can get online or at a local audio store
Oh I understand. I hope to have all of the above mods by the end of next year. We will see lol :p

And if you could PM the parts needed for the relocation of the battery that would be awesome!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.