Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So I got bored at work and decided to throw the TSX on the dyno.

I have run my car at the dragstrip and ran a best time of [email protected] on 225/50/15 drag radials. A little more info on that can be found here http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/autocross-road-racing/63451-anyone-here-drag-their-tsxs-results-inside.html

Anyhow the current modifications are as follows

04 TSX MT
- Comptech Icebox
- CT Eng. Header
- Random Tech High Flow Cat
- Apex WS
- P2R TB Spacer
- Hondata Reflash

I was curious as to whether or not the Icebox was a restriction or not so i decided to fab up an intake out of scraps i had laying around the shop.

Here's what i came up with.

Basically its a cut to fit piece of 45 degree 3.5 inch aluminum tubing along with a 3.5 inch coupler mated to a Comptech Airhorn and Foam filter that came out of an intake from a Comptech Supercharger. Its just junk i had laying around.

Just a simple slip on.

I also tested it in this configuration to see what kind of intake length it wanted.

Here are the results.

Light Blue is the Comptech Icebox at 187/162. I ran a [email protected] with this little power, i was very suprised by the low output!

Red is the fabbed up tube and coupler at 192/165. The car is definitely louder, im not sure if im a fan of the ricey intake sound on this car but power is power. I cant complain with gains.

Dark blue is the filter just stuck on to the stock intake hose at 198/169. Ok, now the car is even louder but it seemed to like this configuration the most so i've kept it like this now for a couple days. The car accelerates much quicker and i can absolutely feel the midrange torque gains.

Now if only the track was open to see what difference it would make along with a set of slicks. Near the end of this week or the beginning of next i will be testing out a PLM header vs. the CT engineering with Random high flow cat combo.

Stay tuned!

·
*Metalhead*
2,657 Posts
Nice work Mikey! So glad my old girl went to a fellow enthusiast.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Very interesting....was there any tuning done between part changes??

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wish you had better pics. how did you use the airhorn and a filter?
Sorry i didnt snap good pics, next time around i'll whip out the nikon. Pretty much our stock air tube is a 3.5 inch at the end where it mates to our air box. The airhorn(velocity stack) is 3.5 inches and the filter goes right over it. I shoved the airhorn and filter into the tube.

Very interesting....was there any tuning done between part changes??

I wish, Hondata Reflash....so i have no control over anything.

I hate the way a short ram sounds but like you said power is power.

Yep, one of my favorite things about the car is how quiet it is. But if theres anything i've learned from my line of work, its that anything noise cancelling on the car is usually a restriction. So.....race header is up next and im sure thats going to make it louder too. For the price of power i guess im willing to sacrifice a little quietness.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
so basically that comptech intake is a waste of money good thing i didnt buy that lol
Duh lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
so basically that comptech intake is a waste of money good thing i didnt buy that lol
I wouldn't go that far. What are you looking to get out of your car? CT Ice Box has some very strong points, consider this:
Looks stock, makes more power compared to stock (on par with most CAIs), inexpensive, and keeps the noise down.

This vstack/tb setup is old school.Put vstack on tb, use pipe if can't place on TB. Try different lengths to find sweet spot, and only use straight pipe if you can help it.
It will still cost over $100 anyway (vstack and filter).

In my opinion Ice Box and V stack/TB option are both legitimate. Both are good at something and inexpensive.

Where it gets REALLY gray is all the CAIs and short rams, given what they cost I am sure old v8 drag guys had a few laughs on account of import craze with these...

Anyway, to each their own, but we should consider that some of these products do actually have other strengths even if they don't make the most power in the end.

As always, thank you MikeySpec for sharing (I know you'd be wrenching and testing share or not share). I am very glad that you picked up TSX as the next car and knowing you with cars, community here will be in for some great info down the road. Much appreciated!

Nino

·
-
1,750 Posts
Mikeyspec, did you dyno the short ram air filter with the hood open or closed?

·
Registered
710 Posts
but a SRI usually suffers from heatsock from engine bay - did you protect yours somehow from heat ?
with hood open you'll get good numbers on dyno but with hood closed you will lose power (unless proteced from heat)

But still ... 11whp over Comptech ... I don't know :) , it contradicts with the testing from HeelToe
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/heelt...ltoes-mega-super-intake-shootout-results.html where Comptech got a very good place.

·
Save the manuals!
207 Posts
First off Mikey props to you for sharing valuable information for the TSX community! I already impressed with those quarter mile times and I enjoyed the sweet track footage!

Now I don't claim to know much but I thought the general consensus was that the short ram config. gave best throttle response (less restriction as you said) however, I thought the jury was out on how they perform OFF the dyno. With the hood shut, no fan blowing and the engine bay heat soaking everything.

Too bad the 1/4 mile track is closed for the season - it'd be a neat comparison if you could do runs now with the new intake as conclusive evidence for or against the DIY intake vs. CT.

I'm not questioning your dyno results - as it seems very conclusive for your car's set-up. Im just thinking aloud and trying to determine which is the better set-up overall in real worl situations.

Thanks again for providing a valuable A vs. B comparison for us all.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Very interesting...im going to have to try the ram air configuration on mine.

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
I want to fab an elbow to rundown the stock box hole with 3.5" aluminum or carbon fiber tubing and silicon elbows...
Longer pipe and cheap. Same components as the diy intake.

Keep the filter as high up on the lower bumper area to avoid water... Should work

Sent from my HTC Rezound on VZW 4G LTE

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
Curious to know if the hood was left open (and/or bumper removed) for the dyno and the intake manifold temperature.

These are 2 critical factors. The former because it allows indirect area to channel in, the latter because all SRI's eventual pitfall is heat-soak.

If you ran the car hood open and car just warmed up to idle (for example), that may explain your numbers. However this isn't the case, that is an incredible argument for SRI over Icebox style intakes as other dyno's have shown low end tq loss with tube style intakes. This dyno invalidates that and then some. lol

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.