Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
i am searching on the forums but can't get answers im looking for!

i use my car on the track on weekends for road race lapping, si i need good brakes. i have escalated the ebc pads on blank rotors, and now my yellowstuff are due to be changed after one day of lapping! they ate the rotors and the pads is nearly dead!
i didnt loved the ebc yellow on track, i never feel them fade but they never bite enough. so its time for me to get better brakes.

when i look at the 800 wilwood 4 pots bbk, its looklike a good kit, however i have to run spacers because they dont clear my oem wheels(that run 235/35r17 tires). plus, i do not seen replacement discs and pads anywhere.. are they available easily? im wearing out brakes fast so price of replacement is a concern for me !

Tl-s brakes seems a good options, but looks the same price as the wilwood kit.. but easier to get replacements but no idea of clearance.. help me :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tire compound and brake pad material are the only thing you should upgrade before going coucou on multi pistons caliper. Yeah, they look good and they mean business...but won't beat track time! ;)
Especially if it's only for lapping days.
The reliability of those OEM parts will serve you all day long and will be easier to replace if the time comes.

I'm running Hawk Hp+ in the front and ceramic in the back.
I didn't go yet on a racetrack with the TSX but I have experience on a track.
If I would have to upgrade my system to push the things more "hardcore" I would switch for R-888 tires and either some Cobalt brake pads or Performance Friction.
There, I would outbrake most of those "bling" big brake combo.

I had EBC before and personnaly, I wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh! this is not my first time on a track! i run kumho v710 soft R-compound too!! i tryed many brakes compound and i still miss bite.. i got told my disc were red when i brake.. makes me think they are overwhelmed...

Tire compound and brake pad material are the only thing you should upgrade before going coucou on multi pistons caliper. Yeah, they look good and they mean business...but won't beat track time! ;)
Especially if it's only for lapping days.
The reliability of those OEM parts will serve you all day long and will be easier to replace if the time comes.

I'm running Hawk Hp+ in the front and ceramic in the back.
I didn't go yet on a racetrack with the TSX but I have experience on a track.
If I would have to upgrade my system to push the things more "hardcore" I would switch for R-888 tires and either some Cobalt brake pads or Performance Friction.
There, I would outbrake most of those "bling" big brake combo.

I had EBC before and personnaly, I wasn't impressed.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Seriously?
First time I heard that!

You can't rely on the fact that the disk is red so that would mean the system is being overwhelmed.
At least use an infrared gun to measure the disk temperature so you know where your at!
Race car coming to a curve have glowing disk...

Anyhow, there is nothing like too much seat time so that being said, there is always room for improvement.
Ask someone who's got more track experience then you and let him have your seat for a few turns or just try to follow someone who has a similar car.

As for different compound, don't take offence to what I'm gonna say, you said that you used different compound and you're saying missing bite and you are using EBC yellow...

You are running tires with R-compound, so you should get a more agressive pads.(You can, the tires have good grip)
Get some Hawk blue or previous brand said in my first post.
Put new disks and do your break-in at the track.
You'll have your set for track time and be able to brake later and dive faster in the curve.

All that, at a fraction of those multi pistons caliper.

That is just my opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after reading your thread i've been on hawk website and read on their different kind of pads. it looks you are right may be a different compound could help me. however when looking at the review by other users hawk blue eat rotors very fast!! maybe thats the price to get better brakes!
ill give a try at the blue and ill try tu make some air ducts to help cooling them!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I track my SC TSX too and I also run stock wheels. I currently run Racing Brake one piece slotted rotors which have been holding up great after a few track days. I'm also playing with different pad compounds and people at the track also recommend Hawk blues. I would try a better rotor or even a 2 piece rotor with Hawk blues. If that doesn't work then I guess you'll need something with more heat capacity like in a BBK. I'm looking in to the the Racing Brake BBK / HT-Spec Stage 5 kit from Marcus at HeelToeAuto because it could possibly clear the stock TSX wheels. My TSX is in the shop so I can't provide them the measurements to see if it would clear. What year TSX do you have? If you are running oem wheels can you do the measurement so I can send it to them?

Measure distance between stock caliper center and one spoke of the TSX wheel. (inner side).

·
I am the SneakHerHunter
735 Posts
I would highly reccomend these pads for weekend warriors and still streetable pad. I'm currently running a BBk up front and looking to swap out my rear rotor this week for a local track event this up coming weekend. Running XP8's in the rear. http://www.ctbrakes.com/pads.asp

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2006 with the 2004 wheels, ill take a look at measurement this morning!

The only thing that is still unknown is the price and availability of replacement rotors of theses bbk! Ive never seen anywhere!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 2006 with the 2004 wheels, ill take a look at measurement this morning!

The only thing that is still unknown is the price and availability of replacement rotors of theses bbk! Ive never seen anywhere!
any measurments ? very interesting ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got my brembo and hawk blue, and installed them yesterday!
I can't beleive their superior bite compared to the ebc yellow stuff!! Unbeleivable! However it squeals like a truck!
Im going to the track on july 30, can't wait to see the difference!!

I measured the gap between the wheel and galiper while everything is new ( thickness of disc and pads )
2004 wheels on a 2006, 5/8" clearance left.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts