Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been dealing with an intermittent transmission issue over the past month, the code reads P0980 Shift Solenoid C - Control Circuit High (Open circuit). Sometimes after clearing the code, it will come up with the code P0979 Shift Solenoid C - Control Circuit Low (Short to ground) but this is rare and 9 times out of 10 it will read thr former P0980.

Now for the symptoms, on the first start and drive in the morning there's no issues at all, I can drive all day without any problems - the code only gets triggered on the second start up and drive (the car will usually be parked for anywhere between 10-30 minutes).

What I've done so far:
  • Replaced the Shift Solenoid C - Issue went away for 2 weeks then came back
  • Resistance test the solenoid - 17 Ohms which is within range 12-25ohms
  • Resistance test the solenoid at the ECU connectors
  • Test the sub-harness within the shift solenoid valve cover
  • Check for defect in wiring/connector/pins
  • Replaced the trans fluid
Following the service manual diagnosis steps, at this point it states I should replace the PCM if the solenoid and wiring tests good but my understanding is a PCM/TCM failure is quite rare. Has anyone come across this same problem are there any other possible causes for an intermittent Open circuit code.

I'm willing to do more tests to troubleshoot the issue before throwing money at a new PCM and hoping it works.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Are you sure you replaced the solenoid with the correct unit? I had to replace a few of my transmission solenoids and if I remember correctly there is some disparity in the part numbers. I went with a cheap replacement on amazon that looked correct and fit but the problem reoccurred and was in fact not a true OEM replacement.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey All,

I've been dealing with an intermittent transmission issue over the past month, the code reads P0980 Shift Solenoid C - Control Circuit High (Open circuit). Sometimes after clearing the code, it will come up with the code P0979 Shift Solenoid C - Control Circuit Low (Short to ground) but this is rare and 9 times out of 10 it will read thr former P0980.

Now for the symptoms, on the first start and drive in the morning there's no issues at all, I can drive all day without any problems - the code only gets triggered on the second start up and drive (the car will usually be parked for anywhere between 10-30 minutes).

What I've done so far:
  • Replaced the Shift Solenoid C - Issue went away for 2 weeks then came back
  • Resistance test the solenoid - 17 Ohms which is within range 12-25ohms
  • Resistance test the solenoid at the ECU connectors
  • Test the sub-harness within the shift solenoid valve cover
  • Check for defect in wiring/connector/pins
  • Replaced the trans fluid
Following the service manual diagnosis steps, at this point it states I should replace the PCM if the solenoid and wiring tests good but my understanding is a PCM/TCM failure is quite rare. Has anyone come across this same problem are there any other possible causes for an intermittent Open circuit code.

I'm willing to do more tests to troubleshoot the issue before throwing money at a new PCM and hoping it works.

Thanks
Acura did a recall on PCM's i think in 2010 from a.c. condensation leaking into it. what was the result?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.