Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new CG TSX is being held against its will and mine due to a mysterious hold applied by AHM to certain VIN's having tranny's (exclusively auto I believe) bearing a certain mfg code.

Anyone know anything about this? When I might actually get my car?

Thanks!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
As I understand, it's not necessarily anything major, and it's not anything like a recall. Seems that for some reason, Acura decided or realized that the transmission on those cars needs further inspection. Doesn't seem to me it's any cause for worry, although it does make us wonder -- I guess it's possible that a thing like this might sometimes indeed indicate there's a major problem.

And regardless, unfortunately it just leaves you waiting................. :donno:

Please let us know anything you might find out, Mark.

Let's hope it gets cleared up very soon -- and let's hope also that some fuller story gets put out.

Are you listening, Honda/Acura???? You NEED to put out some fuller story pretty soon. Otherwise, you leave people just frustrated, and wondering, and maybe lacking the fullest confidence, not only in these cars but also, at least to a tiny extent, in the entire company. And you don't want that.

And take it from me -- as it says below....... :D

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks larch.

I have it on pretty good authority that it's a mystery shrouded in an enigma.

The "inspection" thing is this: Certain VIN's had to be inspected for a certain code on the tranny. If it has the code, HOLD. When the hold is over or what it's about noone seems to know.

Dealers are awaiting "repair instructions in the near future."

It's super-annoying for me because I had ordered a PWP to be delivered in about mid-April. But let that bug crawl up my butt and changed my deposit to get a CG/Q that was already on the lot. The CG is subject to the hold.

So, I am back to square one. And most likely by the time the hold lifts, I will have my choice of CG or PWP. GRRRR.

If I find anything new, I will post.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently just autos. Not clear though.

How's your paint holdin up in Watauga?

I'm in Dallas and worried a bit about the paint, but seems the canucks are the major complainers on that score.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, from another forum, a poster received the following info, for what it is worth:

He told me that the wrong tranny case was put on for only the AT. All the cars in the range had to be inspected and the tranny case had to be swapped out. The current case that is on the car causes the tranny to leak.
Apparently, takes less than a week to swap cases, if the dealer prioritizes it and has the new case.

Question is, do I want to take delivery of such a vehicle? At a discount?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes -- I don't think we can assume that's the actual or full story, but I see that's what a forum member was told over the phone by someone from an Acura corporate office.

Obviously there are a few "ifs" here. We know that corporations aren't necessarily totally forthcoming about things like this, and even when they are, they wouldn't necessarily tell just anybody like you or me or that other member what the real story is (and over the phone), when apparently they haven't made an official disclosure yet. Pardon my skepticism and perhaps cynicism -- but the thing is, this isn't usually how it would happen that the real info on something like this gets put out.

If this IS the actual and full story, I personally wouldn't have any worry about the car. I'm hardly your best expert on this, but I am a bit of a worrier, and this wouldn't be something that I'd worry about.

But I WOULD be worried that this isn't the actual or full story.

I think we'll have to wait a little longer to be sure.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the official (looking) poop:

DATE: March 26, 2004
TO: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers
RE: Special PDI Inspection and Stop Sale Order

Basic Problem: Some TSX vehicles may have an automatic transmission case that is out of specification.

Stop-Sale Order: Certain TSXs in your new car unsold inventory, as well as vehicles in-transit to your dealership between VIN JH4CL96***C025689 and VIN JH4CL96***C028611, are affected by this Special PDI Inspection. These vehicles CANNOT be sold or leased until they have been inspected.

Support Materials: On March 18th, American Honda posted on ISIS a Special PDI Instruction Sheet and an Affected VIN Matrix.

New Information: The matrix was updated today to reflect vehicles that were/are in-transit to your dealership and, therefore, must be inspected before retail sale. Please print out and fax the new matrix to American Honda AFTER you have transferred the inspection results from the first matrix, plus the inspection results of the additional vehicles that you have inspected.

We need your updated inspection information so that we can accurately predict the quantity of required repair parts.

NOTE: On ISIS, Look under “What’s New” then “Job Aids” then “PDI Transmission Case Inspection Instructions” and “PDI Transmission Case Inspection VIN Inquiry.”

Parts: No parts are needed for the inspection.

Repair Strategy: If the transmission case number is RCL-1, the vehicle cannot be sold. The supply of parts to repair vehicles with the RCL-1 case is still being finalized. We expect to have more information early next week. If the transmission case number is RCL-2, the vehicle can be returned to an “Available for Sale Status.”

Customer Notification: You will be notified about customer handling for any vehicle that was sold at retail.
What the repair strategy is is unclear as is the timing. We shall see.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Great info, Mark -- and good news I guess, all things considered. So, that WAS INDEED the real story (apparently), and it turns out there had been an official communication about it from Acura.

Please keep letting us know whatever you find out.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
My Paint is holding up fine, of course I am using a garage for what it is meant for...Cars. It seems people in tx use garages for other things

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No chippage? Bet you do some hiway drivin in Watauga? No?

This whole "soft paint" thing kind of worries me. I can live with chips. But a bunch of em will nut me up. Rusting ones will send me into cardiac arrest. I'm rationalizing that the reported problems seem to come from Toronto/Montreal, so a cold weather salted/sanded/rocked road problem (they must use some pointy, hi velocity rocks up there :p)

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
No chipping. However I do work from home, and usually, don't go much farther than dfw

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
MarkPinTx said:
Here's the official (looking) poop:......
BULLETIN -- WAIT A MINUTE, EVERYBODY!!!!

Not so fast, hold your horses, take off your underpants, whatever.

It seems that whoever posted that letter from Acura on another site DELETED IT, or somebody deleted it. (As of now it seems that he himself did it, but we can't be sure.)

What this means, we don't know. Except that everything's up for grabs again.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is true, but the contents of that post ring true with all the other anecdotal information I can gather. From my dealer, other dealers, people affected and their dealers.

Those affected apparently are waiting for a new AT and a changeout.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
So why do you think it was deleted?

As I see it, only 2 possibilities:

(1) It wasn't valid.
(2) It was valid but "they" decided they didn't want people to know about it yet.

I lean very strongly toward #1, unfortunately. Once something like that is "out," I don't see why they would want to pull it unless they feel they couldn't necessarily be responsible for the truth of it.

I know that "they" weren't necessarily the ones who posted it in the first place and therefore who deleted it. As far as I know, we don't know exactly who it was who posted it, or whether he has anything at all to do with Honda/Acura. But my guess is that his deleting it has some relation, directly or indirectly, to input from the company.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of this begs the question, do I want a "new" TSX that has had it's transmission swapped out? If I take it, shouldn't I get a discount?

Pros? Cons?

Thanks.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I don't see why they'd feel they SHOULD give a discount, because as far as they're concerned it would be a full-fledged, good-as-any-other new car (at least officially), or else they wouldn't sell it as such -- because they couldn't get away with it. They might feel (and I absolutely think it would be the case) that if they commonly and openly give discounts, it would be conceding that they're NOT full-fledged new cars. And in that case, I think, they would make a decision not to sell them as such.

All guesswork of course.

Putting it together, I would say that assuming they wind up selling them as new cars (i.e. as originally planned), it will mean the cars are fine.

But meanwhile, as part of the road toward getting to that point, I think it's important for the would-be buyers to be pressing Acura on this point -- i.e. the question of whether these are full-fledged, every-bit-as-good-as-new TSX's. I think that's the issue here, not asking for a discount. IMO asking for a discount is totally the wrong question -- because, as you note, you'd still be left with the other question.

Sounds like you don't want the car if it's not totally fine.
And if it's totally fine, there's no reason for any extra discount.

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My guess would be that Jack R. was privy to some Acura-only info and took it down before he got busted.

Just my theory. Too much trouble to make that thing up.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I didn't say it was made up -- I don't think there's any chance at all that it was made up.

What I meant was that perhaps they felt they couldn't stand behind it.
Which in turn could mean any one of a number of things, including most prominently that it wasn't the full or real story.
But, yes indeed, it could also just mean that they didn't want this out yet, which seems to be what you're implying.

But, as I said, I don't think they'd pull it after it was already out, unless there was also some element of what I said up there.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
The conservative side of me is saying there's no way Honda/Acura can make a mistake that big.

The impulsive side of me is saying Honda/Acura made a major booboo and is trying to hush hush.

The curious side of me is asking "What the heck is a transmission case"?

The adventurous side of me went to an Acura dealership website that lists online parts and diagrams (thanks to Hip):

http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnys...gry5=TRANSMISSION+CASE&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no

From what I can gather (help me out you mechanics out there), the transmission case is an enclosure that encases the transmission. (LOL, I should have known). List price is $489 and change, although if it causes the transmission to fail, the repair costs will skyrocket.

Say it ain't so Honda/Acura. Please, say it ain't so.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts