Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2007 tsx with 147,000 miles. It has performed perfectly until today I noticed an odd shift from 1st to 2nd. It revs up like and loses a bit of pull and takes longer to shift. Also downshifted when I dont think it should have. Kind of seemed like it cant make up its mind what gear its wanting. The transmission fluid looks good but was a low by a very small amount. I've read something saying I need to flush the fluid twice and replace some sensors, also read something saying the fluid was cold and I need a grounding kit. If anyone can clarify what is wrong and what I should do I would be forever thankful. Love this car dont want to tear it up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like the transmission is beginning to slip. Unfortunately, the only true fix is a rebuild. The last thing you need to do at this point is a flush of any kind. The particulates in the fluid from the worn clutches and bands are helping said clutches and bands engage. A flush now would make the slipping worse. Adding Lucas Transmission Fix can help with the slipping but the rebuild is inevitable.
All that being said, if you want to keep the car long term, find a reputable transmission shop to look at the car and properly diagnose it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Grounding issue is worth a check, since it is a cheap fix. Just connect the battery/AT/injector grounds together and if the issue should go away if it is indeed ground related.

The symptom you described does sound like a little slipping to me. Since replacing transmission is costly, I would suggest starting with a few cheap parts first, for example replacing the outer ATF filter and the a couple of pressure sensors. The idea is to make sure the oil pressure in the system is stable and recognized properly. There was a post that talked about replacing pressure sensors help resolving an AT issue. My car had the slippage symptom mainly from 5 to 4, when the engine changes from non-VTEC to VTEC along the way. I noticed an improvement after replacing the above-mentioned parts. The symptom still show up occasionally, but infrequent enough for me to hold on to the car and its original AT, 200k+ miles and counting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
everyone above they are saying everything right, When I had my auto I tried changing the fluid and it barely made a difference, but if your fluid is stupid brown it might help smoothen things if you are getting clunky or grinding shifts. yeah they say new fluid will cause more slippage, I knew that but I was ready to accept it haha.
Slippage may very well be a symptom of infrequent fluid changes but after a certain point you want to keep whatever grip you have once a certain amount of the clutch material was lost and absorbed by the fluid.
What I did to remedy was when the trans was cold I would throw it into manual mode and not let it shift into 2nd until it was warmed up or if i had to go go immediately i would shift it into second before even moving. When it was warmed up my shift was better. But yeah you might have to get a rebuild!! this is why manuals are better :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts