Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car into Honda recently to do a drain and fill of automatic transmission fluid since my car was getting close to the 100k mark and ever since I did the drain and fill, that ever present transmission whine (usually always happens past 70mph) is still there but now there is a grinding/scratching noise that starts around 40mph which then turns into the familiar high pitched whine at 70+mph.

I'm guessing the dealer used the new DW-1 ATF instead of the Z-1 which was in the car. Did any of you have accentuated noise after changing to the DW-1? the shift quality is about the same and the noise is not as noticeable when the car and weather outside is cold. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the decreased viscosity of the DW-1 ATF. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I changed my transmission fluid in 08TSX a couple of days back to DW1. Don't notice any negative side effects - on the contrary, it starts shifting much smoother. My car has only 60k on it , I did that as a precaution as I suspected previous owner did not care much about the car and sometimes I had experienced harsh shifting from 1st to 2nd. I even not sure that that fluid that came out was Honda genuine - not even close to reddish Honda's ATF color.
As for Z1->DW1 change, you shouldn't worry about it - Honda states it's 100% compatible with older vehicles. I did change ATF in my other two Honda's (02 CRV and 03Accord with very high miles) to DW1 and have only positive experience with it.
Also, looks like TSX has an ATF level sensor - I didnot put enough fluid first time and after a minute of driving I've got "Check Transmission" gear-shaped light and blinking "D". It went away after I put another half of a quart or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah maybe i'll bring it back to the dealer, the shift quality of the transmission itself hasn't changed and the 1st to 2nd gear shift is actually probably better.

It's just the noise, I have the high pitched transmission whine that a couple of the people on the forum had on their TSX and am wondering if anyone else who had the transmission whine had it get worse after switching or replacing the transmission fluid with DW-1. The grinding/scratching noise which builds up to the high pitched whine I normally get at 70+mph started immediately after the dealer put DW-1 in the car so that's why I suspected the fluid. I just had the alternator die on me and maybe i'm just being overly paranoid that the transmission will do the same...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I took it back to the dealer and they said they can hear the whine and think its coming from the transmission pump but there is nothing they can do besides replace the transmission :(

I've always had that tranny whine but can't figure out how it got worse after draining and filling once with the DW-1 ATF. The dealership says the fluid is full and red with a slight discoloration which looks right after doing only one drain and fill. They don't think I need waste money for any more drain and fills either. Eh, part of me wants to do another drain and fill just to see if it changes anything but they say it wont... and what if the whine gets even worse! I just really hope the tranny doesn't give out anytime soon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.