Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the sight. Just bought my TSX 10 days ago...love this site. I was wondering...for those who have an auto trans...do any of you hear a click or maybe even a clunk when you shift it from DRIVE to REVERSE? When I go from PARK to REVERSE, I don't hear it but DRIVE to RESVERSE its there. Its not loud but noticeable. Do any of you have the same thing? Not sure if I am just being paranoid or not...

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes i think its normal, i have the same noise, also, when you put the car in drive and start, few seconds after you can hear a quiet grind for a moment seems like the traction control is kicking in, but i think the transmission is adjusting to something whatever the hell it is. Those damn cars have become so high tech now that we dont even know anymore if the car is broken or its within specs.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I wish I could give a more authoritative reference than this, but.....
It's just that this came up on other sites and this seemed to be the consensus. My impression was that some people said it pretty knowledgeably and that was where the discussion settled.

Of course that doesn't mean it's true.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes.

Pardon the "cross-reference," but I found a little bit about this on Club TSX. It's not anything "authoritative" (which means either my recollection was wrong, or I also saw stuff about this elsewhere), but here it is, esp. the 10th post (by BlackityBlack who was kind of a jerk), and Darth's posts a little further down. They start out discussing a different noise but then get into this one:

http://www.***********/bbs/showthread.php?t=4238

As you can see, they were just wondering about it too, and didn't really have an answer.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Actually, to me it doesn't really make sense, intuitively, even though I'm the one who said it. I think the VSA makes more sense, but I just thought I remembered that ABS is what was stated somewhere basically as a fact. But I'm not sure.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's a solenoid... and it's normal. BUT if you want to be nice to your transmission and reduce the clunking sound, come to a complete stop before shifting into reverse and wait a second before pressing the gas.

That said, the TL's clunking noise AND delay to shift into reverse is ridiculously bad... enjoy your TSX.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What would happen if you rev. up the car to lets say 4krpm, and then put the car to drive? I am used to drive manuals and we would call this burning rubber, what about automatics?

·
Registered
138 Posts
That would be fine with reinforced transmissions with beefy torque converters, but I don't recommend it with your TSX.

That said, it is possible that the DBW throttle would try to quell the RPMs before engaging the tranny. I'm not about to go test that though...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Reverse noise?

I have a 06 with auto tranny and when I put it in reverse it sounds like I have a MT in reverse, you know the whirl sound it makes, anyone else hear this in there auto cars?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts