Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i heard about people doing this, where they put .5 to 1L of transmission fluid into the engine along with their engine oil when they do a oil change, im told that the detergents in the transmission oil helps break down all the gunk, slugde, and helps keep the inside of your engine clean, so my question is has anyone here done this with cars, what do you think about this and is it recommend?

·
unofficial city snowplow
837 Posts
this sounds like a really bad idea. from what i've heard, if you were to do this you wouldn't want to drive around with the transmission fluid in. you'd want to fully drain your oil, run briefly with transmission fluid and a new filter, and then drain again, new oil new filter... you could also potentially dislodge contaminants without dissolving them which could cause longterm issues.

dunno, this doesn't sound like a good idea. why not just use a dedicated engine flush, or something similar? i don't think briefly running transmission fluid would damage your engine per se, but i wouldn't run it for a full oil change that's for sure.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Just run a good quality synthetic ENGINE OIL in your engine -- Pennzoil Platinum is my recommendation. These better oils have special etergent and additive packs in them that clean the internals, remove sludge, prevent further sludge from forming, etc...

Why put something for transmissions in the engine? Why not use an oil made specifically for engines to accomplish the same thing a whole lot more safely?!

·
unofficial city snowplow
837 Posts
there's a well-founded belief that transmission fluid can clean an engine better than engine oil, but should not be left in for prolonged periods. i've read about this before, and while nobody has said that using it quickly to flush the engine would necessarily harm the engine, it can dislodge stuff without dissolving it, and need to be removed immediately afterwards. in my mind, not worth the risk.

why not just use a dedicated engine flush if that's what you want? i also agree, to use a good synthetic oil. personally, i don't do things like that. i never would.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
i do this every 10 k or so, just put about 1/4 quart in and drive it for about 250 miles than do a change, youll be amazed as to how dark and nasty it will be the first time. just dont leave it in there fore more that 400miles or you can do damage! but yes it does work and you will see the crap if you have decent miles on the car:)

·
Registered
834 Posts
i do this every 10 k or so, just put about 1/4 quart in and drive it for about 250 miles than do a change, youll be amazed as to how dark and nasty it will be the first time. just dont leave it in there fore more that 400miles or you can do damage! but yes it does work and you will see the crap if you have decent miles on the car:)
You're brave. Lol

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
880 Posts
They been doing this for years, this is nothing new.. if you use good oil, i wouldn't bother doing this.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
The detergents in synthetic is designed to keep sludge molecules suspended and separated from each other until it is picked up by the filter or drained. Just stick to a good synthetic and weight so it can donuts job while keeping moving parts well lubricated to prevent premature wear or failure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
this is what i do: i heard about that idea didnt sound good to me ...so i use 1 can of seafoam pour enitre or close to entire content straight into engine oil, drive for 2 days no more than that or youll damage your car as i think this makes your oil thinner, and then do my oil change car feels great after, alo it cleans out sludge, vtc strainer which sometimes gets clogged,and if i have enough left i pour into the gas to clean the injectors.this is just me and its what i do.i change with synthetic every 2800-3000 miles although i could go longer but id rather have the piece of mind of having fresh oil in my baby lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Tran Oil with Engine Oil

My father did this in the 60s and 70s; it is totally old school. Today's modern oils contain very complex additive packages and DO NOT need any additives of any kind. Please don't do this!!!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
My father did this in the 60s and 70s; it is totally old school. Today's modern oils contain very complex additive packages and DO NOT need any additives of any kind. Please don't do this!!!
+1

Plus, all the cleaners are a gimmick. You will not see or feel a difference unless you had a car that has over 200k + miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts