Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of mentioning to the dealer next time when I brought my car to have oil change. I noticed the trip computer E/T always calculated the wrong time.

For example. I saw the car clock at 5pm when I reset the trip computer, then I drove for 45 minutes. The car clock said 5:45 pm. However, the E/T of the trip computer could give me something like 33-35 minutes. It is off not by a minute or two !!!

Not sure if you guys notice that ...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
AFAIK nobody has ever commented before on the "E/T," on any of the sites. I guess it just isn't something that most people ever pay attention to.

I certainly don't. The only time I ever notice it is when I punch up "Previous Trip" (which frankly usually happens by accident) :D and then I see that it has this feature.

To tell the truth, I don't even know why anybody would want it, or care about it.
(No offense to Diesel, who just happens to be someone who notices everything!)

BTW....apparently the E/T stands for "Elapsed Time."

For the many people who don't know wtf we're talking about -- we better explain. In the Nav's trip computer, the screen shows various data, including "E/T," which is the total amount of driving time for that batch of mileage.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Edit: I originally did a post here where I said the "elapsed time" is shown just for the previous trip, not for the current one, but I took a look at the Trip Computer screen and I see that I was wrong.
The "E/T" is indeed shown on the screen for the current trip as well as on the one for the "Previous."

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
That wouldn't be a bad guess (although we would hope a computer could do better than "estimate."

But anyway the reason I'm pretty sure that it's "elapsed time" is that if you go to the "Previous" screen, you see that it's written out: "Elapsed time."

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elapsed time, it is.

I am wondering if you guys has the same problem ?

On second thought, I am not sure why it is consistently slow in my car. Maybe it's because Acura count Elapsed time as time the car is moving....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a test again on this issue.

When the clock of the car stuck 5:00pm, I reset the elapsed time in the trip computer to 0:00.

When I get to a place at 5:30pm (within a minute, as I don't know the seconds) The trip computer said elapsed time: 27 min !!

I called my service guy and he said it's the same for every TSX....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Diesel said:
I did a test again on this issue.

When the clock of the car stuck 5:00pm, I reset the elapsed time in the trip computer to 0:00.

When I get to a place at 5:30pm (within a minute, as I don't know the seconds) The trip computer said elapsed time: 27 min !!

I called my service guy and he said it's the same for every TSX....
Wow! I gotta check that out!

(BTW welcome back, Diesel!)

Hard to believe that's normal, because it would be ridiculous.
But I guess a lot in the world is like that. :D

·
Registered
634 Posts
I haven't played with the trip computer that much, but my best guess would be that the E/T records the amount of time the car is moving, as you suggest. That seems a more valuable piece of info to calculate, since the amount of time spent stopped can vary so widely given conditions and goal.

I mean, it can take 90 minutes to go 3 miles to my kids' karate dojang if we stop for dinner on the way...
:)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
larchmont said:
Wow! I gotta check that out!

(BTW welcome back, Diesel!)

Hard to believe that's normal, because it would be ridiculous.
But I guess a lot in the world is like that. :D
Thanks larchmont....check it out and let me know.
The service guy told me that it's the same for every TSX.

However, I cannot do an experiment because I only have one TSX myself.
Nothing to verify what he said.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Duke said:
.....my best guess would be that the E/T records the amount of time the car is moving....
Maybe, but I think probably not. I just got my car back from service, and by chance I happened to notice that the indicated E/T was unusually high. I assumed it was because it "ran" for part of the time that the car was being worked on, and I don't imagine it was in motion for much of that time.

If I get "too much free time" soon, I'll try to check that out too. Actually it wouldn't be that hard -- just stop for a couple of minutes and see if the E/T stays frozen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts