Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals - great forum!

Picked up my '05 TXS w/ Navi YESTERDAY! Love it!

So far, still learning all the bells and whistles - lotsa fun!

One problem so far though ... the Navi system won't do addresses? What I mean is, the GPS seems to be working fine (accurately places the car on the map and shows the correct street names etc.) ... but won't display any address when I do "current location" ... it shows the long/lat/elevation, but no address (and the "save address" button is shaded out and can't be used). Similarly, even when I just try to input a new address (e.g. - to set up my HOME address) ... the system just freezes. It seems it won't do anything that involves an actual address.

Now - when I have tried this, I've been terribly impatient and only waited a few minutes or so ... perhaps the system is loading information for the first time and I just need to be more patient?

ANY suggestions or hints are much appreciated!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More info

Well, just got back from another ride ... and, after a little more reading, ... I live in the downtown area of Vancouver (Canada) ... in and amongst lots of highrise apartments and office towers - I suppose it is possible that these structures could just be causing interference/poor GPS reception and messing with my system?

I'm thinking this b/c it seemed to work (i.e. paused for a bit, but eventually spit out a correct address) in some parts of the downtown core ... but got outta wack (showed me on the wrong street, one block over) in other parts and, in those parts, would not bring up an address.

Thoughts? (other than maybe I should just shut it, be patient, and get to know how the thing works before I post tons of silly questions .... :laugh: )

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
hmm i got an 04 tsx wit navi, never encountered any freezing up ... the only thing is laggin a little bit, but thats when u have to many address stored in ur previous destinations and all...

as for the displaying current address.. all u have to do is move the joystick to where u want ur car to be.... and push "into" the joystick, there should be a little green box that shows the address ur car is on... keep in mind that this only works when its on an actual street... good luck

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
the navi is dvd based, i believe there should be nothing involved with reception of watever, the only time u have to be in the open is when ur battery gets disconnected and u reboot ur whole gps and it tells u to be in the open to it can find a signal

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ransak said:
Well, just got back from another ride ... and, after a little more reading, ... I live in the downtown area of Vancouver (Canada) ... in and amongst lots of highrise apartments and office towers - I suppose it is possible that these structures could just be causing interference/poor GPS reception and messing with my system?

I'm thinking this b/c it seemed to work (i.e. paused for a bit, but eventually spit out a correct address) in some parts of the downtown core ... but got outta wack (showed me on the wrong street, one block over) in other parts and, in those parts, would not bring up an address.

Thoughts? (other than maybe I should just shut it, be patient, and get to know how the thing works before I post tons of silly questions .... :laugh: )
Indeed it's not normal.
I guess your theory sounds as good as any. But I'd also guess something's wrong.

If it keeps happening, it seems like it's something worth at least bringing to the attention of service at your first routine visit -- or, if you feel like it, making a sooner visit just for this.

P.S. Congrats on the car -- glad you're loving it otherwise!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys ...

Still learning ...

First - LOVE THE CAR ... I reasearched and drove dozens of cars and now, after only two days, I'm totally convinced that I made the rigth choice! What a car!

OK - my problem. Chyllintsx/Larhmont - you are right, of course. I've noticed that even though my Navi isn't showing showing my current location by address (or showing the street name in the shaded bar at the bottom of the screen), the system picks up my GPS coordinates (LONG/LAT) instantly! So this is NOT a GPS reception problem - so my theory is toast (I should have figured that out sooner).

AND - last night I found the section in the manual that deals with my issue. The Navi-Manual says:

"MAP MATCHING - This part of the initialization matches the GPS coordinates with a road on the map sceen. To perform this part of the procedure, ensure that nav system is displaying the a map, and drive the vehicle on a mapped road (a road shown on the map screen). Do not enter a destination at this time. When the name of the current road you are driving on appears at the bottom of the screen, the entire procedure is complete. Your system is now ready to use."

THIS IS MY PROBLEM - only ONCE in two days has the system shown the street I am on in the little shaded bar at the bottom - i.e., only this was the ONLY time my system has been "ready to use".

So - my NEW question - How long does this map matching process take for you guys?

Maybe, I've been so busy messing with the controls, that I have not left the system on with the map screen showing for long enough for the map matching process to complete?

The manual/instructions seems to indicate that one must keep the map screen on, without interuption, for the map matching process to be completed. I'll try this next. But does this mean that every time I use the screen to control the audio system, climate controls, or other navi function, that the map matching process will have to start all over from scratch?

Thanks so much for your feedback. Once again ... far from frustration, I'm just excited to get this all figured out!

Ryan

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I never heard of this.
I didn't have to do anything on my Nav to make it start working.
It worked fully, from the start.

If something really needs to be done to get it initialized, I wonder if maybe the dealers routinely do it before giving us the car and maybe they just forgot to do it on yours.

·
Registered
106 Posts
chyllintsx said:
the navi is dvd based, i believe there should be nothing involved with reception of watever, the only time u have to be in the open is when ur battery gets disconnected and u reboot ur whole gps and it tells u to be in the open to it can find a signal
Uh, GPS = global positioning satellite. It means you need reception.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
... ok - he knows that ... but he is correct. My system IS receiving a signal (or, at least is certainly seems so, since it immediately shows the LONG/LAT and altitute coordinates of my car).

However, the system seems to be unable to spit out the ADDRESSES of where I am ... or allow me to even input any addresses at all.

As I noted above, the manual suggests that the system is not ready until it has completed a MAP MATCHING process and, once completed, shows the name of the street you are on at the bottom of the screen. That's where mine falls short.

Another note - what is weird is that screen shows me on the correct road (and that road is named) ... while it seemed to be a few hundred feet off last night, at least it was close and on the correct street ... but, it said "NOT ON A DIGITIZED ROAD" in the shaded bar a the bottom? Weird, since the streets I was traveling on were all decades old AND showing up and named on the map?

Something seems to be wrong here ...

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
haha thanx ransak, glad u knew what i meant... yes ur case is weird, but i thought of a few more things for u...

1- did u try to push the joystick IN , not left right up or down but IN.. that tells u the approximate address of where u highlight ur car to... or where u are...

2- are u fully zoomed in? (all the way)... but i doubt this is the case, but it might, i always leave it on the largest zoom, never smaller....

3- try goin to SETUP... mess around with the buttons in there, try lookin for 'vehicle positioning' maybe thats ur cause if ur a little off on the screen.

if i think of anything else, ill let u no, but dun worry bout the long. latit. thing, thats useless unless u plan on shooting a missle from ur car... if worse comes to worse, bring it to the dealer n bitch bout it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thnanks for the feedback.

I'm gonna take it out and about over the next few weeks and see if I can figure this out.

chyllintsx - I've got the joystick figured out ("Push in" to select etc.) ... I'll try your other suggestions too.

Sounds like it should just WORK instantly and maybe something is wrong - but, I am still just figuring this thing out. I'll try messing with the settings etc. and see what's what.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You bet - thanx.

(Man - I love this car ... this is just another excuse - that i don't really need - to drive around aimlessly!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Problem Solved!!!

ok - Now THAT is more like it! :ben:

Took her out for a spin (I'm currently supposed to be studying for final exams at law school - but I couldn't help it!). Tried EVERYTHING and had just about given up ... the bloody thing simply would NOT report it's current location (street or address), even though the red-triangle was positioned correctly on the map. In fact, none of the address functions were working ... couldn't input or look up any address ... just got a frozen screen when I tried (unitl I hit info to clear it). :banghead:

Then I thought ... ok, if this was my computer, I'd do a manual re-boot. How can I do that on this thing? :ikno: I tried ejecting the DVD from the trunk unit ... waited a minute or so (car running) ... and stuffed it back in (carefully).

Reboot.

INSTANT PERFECT FUNCTIONING! :woot:

And - this Navi is one seriously fun man (or woman) toy! I set up my home address and then just TRIED to get lost ... but "she" wouldn't let me and talked me in ... all the way home.

I'm in love.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and help!

I'm proud to say, I seem to have discovered a troubleshooting tip that, while simple, I couldn't find anywhere online or in the manual (though, perhaps that's because I'm the only twit to have this problem)!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Ransak said:
ok - Now THAT is more like it! :ben:
Took her out for a spin (I'm currently supposed to be studying for final exams at law school - but I couldn't help it!). Tried EVERYTHING and had just about given up ... the bloody thing simply would NOT report it's current location (street or address), even though the red-triangle was positioned correctly on the map. In fact, none of the address functions were working ... couldn't input or look up any address ... just got a frozen screen when I tried (unitl I hit info to clear it). :banghead:
Then I thought ... ok, if this was my computer, I'd do a manual re-boot. How can I do that on this thing? :ikno: I tried ejecting the DVD from the trunk unit ... waited a minute or so (car running) ... and stuffed it back in (carefully).

Reboot.

INSTANT PERFECT FUNCTIONING! :woot:

And - this Navi is one seriously fun man (or woman) toy! I set up my home address and then just TRIED to get lost ... but "she" wouldn't let me and talked me in ... all the way home.

I'm in love.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and help!

I'm proud to say, I seem to have discovered a troubleshooting tip that, while simple, I couldn't find anywhere online or in the manual (though, perhaps that's because I'm the only twit to have this problem)!
That was brave. :nervous:

·
TSX of the Month Winner
2,330 Posts
haha good stuff... glad ur navi workin properly... gotta tell u... had the car for 2 years... been in an major accident.... still perfect ... love it... no probs at all... only the leather seens to b cracking a little...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had something somewhat similar happen. The GPS icon followed my travels, but all other functions were locked out (ac/audion/info). I stopped the car and essentially "rebooted" the nav and all worked well. It's the first glitch I've had on my 2005. Has anyone else experienced this?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts