Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm on a hunt to make my TSX the best handling possible. Seeing what other bracing or upgrades I should get.

Right now I have the Neuspeed Upper struct tie bar, Tein Supersport Suspension adjusted at the stiffest dampening, and Comptech Rear Sway bar and new Endlinks coming in.

Does anyone know if a front sway bar would stop the body roll? Also noticed that even the the stiffest setting on my coilovers aren't that stiff. Can I upgrade the springs to a higher spring rate or will I need a new set of coilovers?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Fender braces should stiffen up the front of your car. A few members on the forum have them installed, so a quick search should net some reviews. J's makes fender braces as well as Ultra Racing. UR also has underbody bracing available, including a 4 point underbody brace similar to the one Cusco used to make for the TSX.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've found a good size front sway bar to help handling quite a bit on past cars I've owned -- Subaru, Miata. My Lexus LS400 had a huge stock front bar and tiny rear bar, and actually handled very well for a boat.

There is no need for a strut bar in our cars as we don't have struts upfront. Short, stiff springs would work best to eliminate body roll, but on a street car that sees bumpy roads it usually isn't the best recipie for handling IMO -- you need a good amount of suspension travel, a damper that's matched well to the spring rates, good weight distribution, light wheels of correct offset and, probably most importantly, good sticky tires, You can have the best suspension setup in the world and car still won't handle well on shit tires, or a shit box on blown dampers and cut springs that rides on bumpstops, but rails through corners on r-compound tires.

Stan

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure about you guys but I've actually noticed that my Neuspeed strut bar makes a huge improvement in my car. I can even feel it when I'm switching lanes on the highway.

I was also reading that there's no point in upgrading the front sway bar, and that most track cars actually remove it. But I've also heard some people upgrade to the TL TypeS front sway bar.

As for the fender bracing. Seems like a huge PIA to install. Anyone know how hard it is? Also have to keep in mind that my car will be lowered pretty low in the summer. Not extreme stance nation but I will require a rolled fender to fit my 18x9.5 +22 so I think the under body bracing is out of the question.

·
ALL*CAL
461 Posts
I believe that as far as sway bars go, front wheel drive cars generally benefit from a larger rear sway bars by reducing understeer and rear wheel drive cars generally benefit from a larger front sway by making oversteer a little more neutral. With that said, I think putting a larger front sway bar in the TSX might make it handle worse by inducing more understeer, but addressing your original question, it should reduce body roll.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My stock front bar looks pretty beefy, and rear is smaller. Passat I had was the same way. On Subarus some people also are afraid of more front bar, but those who've done it including me know that it actually helps handling alot. But, that is just a general statement, and Subarus have struts upfront so camber is lost when cornering, TSX has shocks. YMMV.

To improve my handling, I'd love to get a much lighter hood and battery. But, my first step will be Koni yellows with stock springs over them, then most likely a larger rear bar. Also, my car did come with a front shock tower brace, there is probably a reason for it so I believe you when you say it helped in your case.

One thing I learned is lower, stiffer setup with no body roll is not always better on a street car, but again, that's a generalization. Trial and error is usually best way to find out, but it gets expensive. Also, what is good for auto-x doesn't always work for large track, so purpose matters, too.

Stan

·
Registered
114 Posts
Agreed, you can only adjust the compression/rebound damping as close as possible to match the spring rates you have, just cranking it all the way up probably won't make it handle any better. If you want less body lean, you'd either need stiffer springs, or stiffer bars, adjusting your shocks won't do it. Your car isn't "held up" by the damper, it's supported by springs.

Stan

·
Registered
176 Posts
I decided against the H&R or even TL-S front sway bar on the TSX. The front is thick enough and I still get a bit of lean on mine with Tein CST that I don't want the stiffer front sway bar to fight my front inner spring in cornering. I'd say chassis bracing is a definitely :tu2: on the TSX given that the body stiffness is OK, but not as stiff as it should be and there is a LOT of flex between the front subframe and frame as well as in the rear (hear that speaker panel creek everytime? - that's flex).

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
455 Posts
So I'm on a hunt to make my TSX the best handling possible. Seeing what other bracing or upgrades I should get.

Right now I have the Neuspeed Upper struct tie bar, Tein Supersport Suspension adjusted at the stiffest dampening, and Comptech Rear Sway bar and new Endlinks coming in.

Does anyone know if a front sway bar would stop the body roll? Also noticed that even the the stiffest setting on my coilovers aren't that stiff. Can I upgrade the springs to a higher spring rate or will I need a new set of coilovers?
See below

Running full stiff does not guarantee better handling. On street driving where conditions are dynamic, running less stiff is better, but not to soft. You must find a balance.
Agreed, you can only adjust the compression/rebound damping as close as possible to match the spring rates you have, just cranking it all the way up probably won't make it handle any better. If you want less body lean, you'd either need stiffer springs, or stiffer bars, adjusting your shocks won't do it. Your car isn't "held up" by the damper, it's supported by springs.

Stan
I personally found (after numerous high intensity runs) that raising the car actually had a profound effect on the handling of my car. For some reason (i'm not technical enough to know why) my balance was easier to get through the corners after this. Before it was mega jerky between under and over steer and now I have a nice balance that is neither of those effects. I am also running in the upper middle of the damper adjustment range of my Buddyclub N+ at 9 front and 10 rear.

Also a really great handling mod is some softer compound tyres with a generous width. Mine are Bridgestone RE002 ( 235 45 R17)and the difference between this and my old tyres was night and day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.