Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having changed my driving style a bit (taking it easy on the acceleration) I am noticing a modest amount of MPG improvement. Thanks to all who chimed in.

However, now I am faced with another rather annoying discovery on the TSX, paint chips all over the hood. My hood literally looks like the milky way galaxy, progressively more and more speckled with micro paint chips. I have never had this issue on my prior car (granted it was a silver Accord). Anyone else out there with this issue (especially if you have a non-silver, dark color TSX)? Is it me or did Acura go light on the paint job? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

· VP of Infinite Infinity
1,790 Posts
06 CGP. Same deal.
The problems for me:
-daily driver
-dark paint/ lighter underneath
-too many road trips!

You could also have:
-dried car wax in the chips. (or dried detailer spray)
-drive too close behind other vehicles (debris is chipping you). This is why I hate when drivers pass you and cut you off too close on the highway.

As for thin paint, I doubt that's the issue. However, I didn't read your other thread you seem to have, so I don't know the condition of your car.

It seems you and I both need a paint job! :)

IPhone Autoguide

· , Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,045 Posts
You are not the only one. Our OEM paint is very soft. I opted for a clear bra because of this.

· Registered
1,432 Posts
My 06 tsx has numerous rock chips. It would have needed a clear bra that covered all of the car. Have driven the car in 42 states. Most of the chips came from driving on 95 from NC to NJ and back often. Rocks thrown from 18 wheeler tires can travel far.

· Registered
833 Posts
2008 Nighthawk Black Pearl , same deal guys , i got touch up paint from acura dealer and filled in the spots with few coats of paint , i already have a detailer place picked out just got to take care of my health issues first , they said thay do touch up so i am hoping they can level off the touch up paint by wetsanding it down , once thats done i plan on full detail paint restoration and clear bra , all in all it shouldnt cost more than $400 to do ( or so i hope ) but it sure beats a $3000+ professional paint job :p

~De5

· Registered
1,667 Posts
2008 Nighthawk Black Pearl , same deal guys , i got touch up paint from acura dealer and filled in the spots with few coats of paint , i already have a detailer place picked out just got to take care of my health issues first , they said thay do touch up so i am hoping they can level off the touch up paint by wetsanding it down , once thats done i plan on full detail paint restoration and clear bra , all in all it shouldnt cost more than $400 to do ( or so i hope ) but it sure beats a $3000+ professional paint job :p

~De5
Second that. I have the touch up paint waiting on me to get back from vacation. I am a fairly experience detailer with all the required tools so I'm going to attempt to do the full touch up job myself for $15 just the price of the touch up paint. I'll be posting pics. Good luck with yours.

· VP of Infinite Infinity
1,790 Posts
Second that. I have the touch up paint waiting on me to get back from vacation. I am a fairly experience detailer with all the required tools so I'm going to attempt to do the full touch up job myself for $15 just the price of the touch up paint. I'll be posting pics. Good luck with yours.
I wish I could do a good job on restoration. Maybe you can record your progress when you do yours for those interested in taking a crack at it? Would be useful for even trying to fix up smaller portions.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all who viewed and chimed in. Really appreciate the input, good to know (but also sucks in ways) that others are out there are hit (no pun intended) with the same paint chip issue thanks to the soft paint Acura chose to use.

I actually bought a small bottle of touch up paint from the dealer the other day. No go for me, considering I am newer than newbie at this; looks awful and considering how many chips I have, it'll take forever.

I feel its too late for a clear bra. Any ideas from you guys on how much it would be to have just the hood repainted, perhaps front fender too to blend in? Thumbs up, down?

Thanks!
Happy driving!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.