Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tsx 2010 car doesnt heat on idle
Temp gauge up on hight speed 90 95 mph and on large hills on the highway
Coolant its godd doesn consume coolanr no leaks, I notice that the radiator fan activate continuosly on idle car doesn heat up on large trips unless have a large up hills here in PR.
Any idea??

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds like a failed coolant thermostat. The thermostat is supposed to close and restrict coolant flow during warm up. At normal operating temperature the thermo opens to allow full coolant flow.

If the coolant gets above the normal temp, then the fan runs to cool it down.

If your driving at high speed, especially downhill, the airflow will tend to cool it down below normal in which case the thermostat should close again to help keep the motor at it's normal design temp.

You could verify that by using a scanner gauge the plugs into the OBDII port and see what the coolant temp is doing. Most modern cars have a a normal temp of about 90 degrees C. Too hot is usually about 110-115 C. I don't have my shop manual with me so I can't get the exact value.

You should get it fixed... the engine will wear a lot faster if you drive it too cold. If you go on a long drive, I'd tape paper bags over part of the grill to restrict the airflow and help keep your temp close to normal. Obviously remove them for city driving or if it gets hot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe i explain bad because my English its not perfect sorry. The tsx temp its going up when driving on large high hills and at hard speed 90 mph up. Temperature needle going slowly up passing the middle and then when down hill or decrease mph temp going normal below middle. But i think thats not normal. When i stop the car needle going down to normal.
Tomorow im ging to acura dealearship to diagnose the car.
Car doesnt have any leaks car doesnt heat up at normal speed not overheat at idle i tested in idle for long time. Radiator fan kik on. I notice that the fan activated whiting 10 15 second of lapse time? I dont know it is normal. Help or an opinion
Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Could be a thermostat problem, it might be stick in different positions causing both overheat and excess cooling, but usually a thermostat fails either open (car runs too cold) or closed (car overheats).

Might also be the fan controller, if the fan is running when it's not supposed to the could result in excess cooling although the thermostat should shut to keep the engine warm enough.

Could be both, I've had that happen where the fan controller malfunctions and the resulting overheat damages the thermostat causing it to stick open. That would result in overheat due to fan not working right at low speed and uphill, and also underheat when cruising at highway speed or downhill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts