Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

just purchased my 2011 TSX(Daily Driver). After reading thru all the post i still haven't found the answer i was looking for .... My question is does anyone have any recommendation on coilovers for daily driving across the dirty Toronto ontario streets :p am not looking to go slammed or roll fenders just to make the car look cleaner (Track look Maybe) i will be running the stock wheel till i decided if am going to stay with 17 or move up to 18. i know
Price is quality but looking for something nice for the Toronto streets setup. Again this is my daily Driver
Please feel free to leave your opinions and thoughts

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey there,

I'm from Toronto too :) hope to see you around!

Anyway, I was on the same boat as you. Wasn't looking for hellaflush/slammed look, closer to a track look that is DDable and affordable.

Ask yourself this. Do you really want adjustable dampening (i.e., adjusting stiffness of the coilovers independently from ride height/preload)? If you do, you will naturally need to pay more for the added feature. I decided to skip that, and so far no regrets and gone with the TEIN Street Basis coilovers. They're affordable ($830 CAD locally after tax last year... looks to be much cheaper this year too, probably sub $700), and TEIN is of great quality. The Street Basis is the new entry level coilover that replaces the Basics. There's no dampening adjustability, nor is there independent pre-load adjustability. There's simply ride height adjustability, that indirectly affects preload/stiffness. It's the most basic form of coilovers. They ride great for my current ride height (~1.5 finger height on 18x9 +30, 18x10 +38 on 225/40/18 and 245/35/18 respectively).

If you want/need dampening adjustability, you could go up to the TEIN SS or SA (I believe one is the successor to the other... can't remember). It will come with adjustable dampening as well as ride height. However, I don't know if it has independent preload adjustability (I highly doubt you'd need this anyway if you're going for a simple street setup). These will naturally cost a couple hundred north of the Street Basis, but are equally of great quality, if not better.

I've heard mixed reviews on all other coilover brands (maybe except KW suspension), so that's why I only suggested TEIN (given that you're looking for something that's affordable).

Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
KW V1's ride better than Tein SA/SB and are made out of stainless steel. Plus...lifetime warranty vs Tein's 1yr warranty. They're more expensive as well...but...they're definitely nicer.

The Teins are great, don't get me wrong. But don't expect the adjustsble damper on the SA's to take you from floating down the boulevard to flying down the track. They're soft as hell. If you try to firm them up....they end up riding like shit. Leaving them soft is the key. Anything below the 8th click is a bad idea (1 is stiff, 16 is soft). I have like 35k miles on my SA's and I still really like them. But my GF's KWs are a lot more refined.

I'd recommend buying KW ST's, which are V1's that are zinc plated steel instead of stainless...and a 5 year warranty instead of lifetime. But zinc plated steel may be a bad idea for Toronto. Why did these German idiots not just powder coat them? Why Zinc????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.