Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been leasing a 1999 Acura CL 3.0 coupe for the last 3 1/2 years and now that we have a baby on the way, we need 4 doors instead of 2. I have driven the TSX, TL S-Type, Lexus IS300, Infiniti G35, Maxima and the BMW 325i & xi.

I have ruled out the G35, IS300, Maxima, and TL S-Type for a variety of reasons (cost, size, style, etc.)

So it is down to the TSX and BMW's. I am going to lease these vehicles and my local BMW dealership is making some great deals on their 2003's. I live in MN, so I like the 325xi for it's all wheel drive, but it is a little more expensive. The 325i that they have on the lot is loaded at a great price. I love the TSX, but would have to wait until August to get the one I want. Here are the figures...

Carbon TSX,
36mo. 12k/yr, $2,500 total down, $350/mo

BMW 325i - Steel Gray with Black Leather, Sports Package, Heated Seats, Xenons, Moonroof
36mo. 12k/yr, $3,500 total down, $396/mo

BMW 325xi - Silver with Black "Leatherette", Heated Seats, Moonroof
36mo. 12k/yr, $3,500 total down, $396/mo

So, if I get the "xi all wheel drive version", I have to give up the leather for leatherette, Xenons and sports package, but I get the all wheel drive for those MN winters.

I like the TSX, but I am having trouble passing on the 3-Series.

Opinions welcome...

·
Oops. I, uh, did it again
39 Posts
Buff:
You'll save money and aggrevation with the Acura.

German cars (Bimmers especially), while not UN-reliable, tend to need more service. So even with a loaner, you may not always have AWD in those killer winters.

I love the look and performance of the BMWs but they don't offset the potential hassle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We already have one BMW, it is the X5 Sports Activity Vehicle and it has been great thus far. Also, BMW now includes a full maintenance agreement for the full term of your lease so that there are NO additional costs. You don't pay for oil changes, minor repairs, it's all covered under the warranty unless you crash the thing or wear out the brake pads in 3 months.

We have been very happy with both companies.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Buff-Daddy said:
We already have one BMW, it is the X5 Sports Activity Vehicle and it has been great thus far. Also, BMW now includes a full maintenance agreement for the full term of your lease so that there are NO additional costs. You don't pay for oil changes, minor repairs, it's all covered under the warranty unless you crash the thing or wear out the brake pads in 3 months.

We have been very happy with both companies.
If you already have an X5, do you really need another AWD vehicle? I've lived in MN before and felt FWD was enough to get me around 95% of the time during the winters (with all-seasons).

The TSX is less expensive, but comes with more options than the BMW. It will also get better gas mileage, which is good all year round. Heck, you can take the money you saved on getting the TSX and buy a set of winter tires (Blizzaks). That should get out around 99% of the time in the winter.

G

·
BMW vs TSX, drive them!

Have you driven any of the cars? I live in Boulder CO and was considering a 325xi after seeing BMW's current special. However, I drove them back to back and decided that the TSX was a much better drive. Comparing to a stripped out xi, the TSX had more features and a more comfortable cabin. There is no way I'd drive a RWD car with the snow, but AWD add so much weight. I'd hate to call a car as fine as the 325xi a dog, but it really was underpowered for its weight. The TSX does have a little less pull under 3000 rpm's, but once it is above that level, it is so much fun.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have driven them all and I agree that the xi didn't blow my socks off, but either did the TSX. I actually felt that the BMW held the corners better and was more fun to drive, but as far as the total package goes (standard features), the TSX just has too much to offer...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too drove the Beamer xi, the G35, Audi A4 Quattro, Jag X Type and the TSX. All are great cars. I felt the TSX gave me more bang for the buck. Although I'm in California, and I don't need 4wheel drive as you would living in in MN, I do make an occasional trip to Tahoe and it does come in handy.

For me, it's all about how you FEEL when you drive the car. The TSX has a sweet dash and now with Navigation, my boyfriend will never have to ask for directions ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
NHTSA released new front- and side-impact crash test results for 10 sport utility vehicles and sedans.
In those tests, the BMW 3-series and the Mazda 6 did worst, earning three stars for injuries caused to the driver in a side-impact crash. Three stars
reflects an 11 percent to 20 percent chance of serious injury in a
crash.
NHTSA noted that the damage caused to the crash test dummy in the BMW crash
indicated a high likelihood of serious pelvic injury in an actual
crash.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Barbie said:
NHTSA released new front- and side-impact crash test results for 10 sport utility vehicles and sedans.
In those tests, the BMW 3-series and the Mazda 6 did worst, earning three stars for injuries caused to the driver in a side-impact crash. Three stars
reflects an 11 percent to 20 percent chance of serious injury in a
crash.
NHTSA noted that the damage caused to the crash test dummy in the BMW crash
indicated a high likelihood of serious pelvic injury in an actual
crash.
Anyone know if the NHTSA has tested the TSX yet? If so, what were the results?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well, I think TSX is better in price with all the goodies that you will get (HID, 17', VSA, and also that color choice with no additional charge). But if you think you really need the AWD thing, maybe u should get the 325xi. But what have you consider the Audi A4 1.8T?? it's an AWD car and better price compare to the Bimmers. Just my 2 cents

G

·
yo i also was considering buying a bimmer but they wanted 33,900 for the 325i with no negotiating nothing. luckily i didnt buy it, i held off a couple of days to see the tsx when it arrive,my first impression of the tsx was wow what an awesome interior not only did the exterior look beautiful but interior was fantastic. Took it out for a test drive and i was hook there was no turning back, i didnt even think about the bimmer anymore yes the bimmer handles a little bit better but the interior of the bimmer is to plain, just a plain red glow on the dash everything glows red borrrring. The tsx on the other hand has a better dash appearance and a little more room in the back. Before u make your decision think about this are you gonna have anyone over 5' 7" sitting in the back of the bimmer, because they will be unhappy campers there is just no leg room in the 325i and the front seats are made for midgets i might add. Thats why i chose the tsx over the bimmer it has a better price for a fully and i mean fully equipped car none of that option crap that usually brings the total up to 35 to 40 grand by the time you leave the lot. just my 2 cents

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Just discovered this old thread.

First off: Hey, Buff-Daddy, you still around???? Been a while.....

The TSX/BMW debate has progressed a lot since last July. Or maybe degenerated, depending on your point of view and who you've been listening to. Or who you've been forced to listen to. :D

Seem to me that the argument has progressed through basically 3 or 4 phases in these few months:

(1) The TSX will be a competitor for the BMW 3-series.

....which pretty quickly was overtaken by:

(2) The TSX is no 3-series -- its handling and power aren't the same, plus it's FWD so what did you expect anyway.

....and then:

(3) So it's no 3-series but it's close, plus look at all the features that you get and for less money.

.....and eventually.....

(4) TSX wins a bunch of awards, TSX selling for MSRP or close to it, while BMW dealers are having to deal on the 3-series.....maybe the TSX really is a 3-series fighter.....

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
2.4DOHCiVTEC said:
Xenon HID headlight is a must.
Doesn't the TSX have Xenons?

Well, I know it's HID. I've never exactly gotten whether this necessarily also means "Xenons." But I think the TSX headlights for all intents and purposes are like Xenons, whether or not they actually are Xenons.

No?

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
Doesn't the TSX have Xenons?

Well, I know it's HID. I've never exactly gotten whether this necessarily also means "Xenons." But I think the TSX headlights for all intents and purposes are like Xenons, whether or not they actually are Xenons.

No?
Yes, the TSX has Xenon HID headlights.

http://www.acura.com/models/model_specs_index.asp?module=tsx

I don't think he was questioning it... he was just pointing out the things to get in a car in general... it's just that the TSX meets all the criteria. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts