Acura TSX Forum banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 · (Edited)
TSXXXX said:
Never heard of these vibra-technics mounts, do you have more info on them?

Hows the new clutch set up? Did it remedy the chatter you were getting?
The car won't be on the road for at least a month, but I have very high confidence
in the new clutch disc. It turns out that the previous disc was not made per my
requirements, so it didn't perform as expected.

Vibra-Technics makes performance engine mounts with rubber, the way they should be made.
Urethane mounts are a joke. Read the FAQ on the VT website for an explanation.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Wow those look really nice. May look into those at some point because I do not want to add any vibration to my interior from NVH like what you'll inevitably get with even the softest Urethane.

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Time for new wheels. The WedsSport TC105X looked pretty nice in the pics on the Weds website,
so I bought one to test fitment. This wheel is really sweet. It doesn't clear the TL Brembo calipers,
so I'm planning on buying a RB brake kit, which will fit the original TSX knuckles. I've become really
irritated with the TL knuckles due to the different angle of the top ball joint. I currently have modified
skunk2 UCAs, which are absolute garbage, so I've been wanting to get rid of those too.

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
17x9.5 +45. My current wheels are 17x9 +45 and seem perfect.
The wider rim is going to be really close to the knuckle, but should be OK.

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Yes, 255/40ZR17. The idea is to have the Weds wrapped with Pirelli Trofeo R tires for the track.
These tires and size are more like 265 width, so I should have plenty of grip.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I've never run a Pirelli. Those look aggressive though. I think I'm going to try an inexpensive set of tires like the Federal RS-RR in 255/35r18 next time. They too run wide and will likely be close to a 265 ????

·
Registered
383 Posts
@TSXXXX I have some Federal RS-RRs in my garage waiting to be mounted to my 2. I'll let you know driving impressions if I get them on before you change your tires again.

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Car is back on the road. I forgot how fun it is to drive.

The RE-71R tires are really greasy feeling when cold. Very easy to spin even in second gear.

The clutch feel is damn near perfect now. It took a lot of iterations to get to this point. I can
finally say "it's finished". (y)

I like the new engine mounts, however I would say that the vibration is borderline objectionable
at idle. Off idle it's fine. You can barely tell. Throttle modulation is more precise, as would be
expected, since there is less powertrain movement.

·
Registered
907 Posts
New fluids. I went all Motul this time. I should have everything back together this weekend.
I'm really looking forward to driving it!

I LOVE Motul fluids. A little pricey but 300V is all I will use in my motorcycle. Is that 75w gear oil for the trans? Can't quite read it.

@TSXXXX I have some Federal RS-RRs in my garage waiting to be mounted to my 2. I'll let you know driving impressions if I get them on before you change your tires again.
Yes please do!! I've heard they're loud as hell but sticky too so definitely curious. What size did you pick up?

Car is back on the road. I forgot how fun it is to drive.

The RE-71R tires are really greasy feeling when cold. Very easy to spin even in second gear.

The clutch feel is damn near perfect now. It took a lot of iterations to get to this point. I can
finally say "it's finished". (y)

I like the new engine mounts, however I would say that the vibration is borderline objectionable
at idle. Off idle it's fine. You can barely tell. Throttle modulation is more precise, as would be
expected, since there is less powertrain movement.
You're right about RE-71R's being greasy when it's cold. Most of my driving has been ~40-45 degrees. When I was out yesterday I managed to get some heat in them and wow big difference immediately. Once I'm aligned it's time to really see what they're about.

Glad to hear the clutch is where you want it now. Remind me what set up you ended up with? Idle vibration with those VT mounts you were talking about?

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
Yes, the custom VT mounts are installed. I suspect that during the warmer summer months,
the rubber will be a bit softer and the idle vibration may not be as noticeable.

To really appreciate my custom clutch setup, you need a little background. All Honda/Acura
J-series MT applications have dual-mass flywheels and SACs (self-adjusting clutch), with
the sole exception of the TL SH-AWD (J37). All flywheels and clutches were made by LuK,
with the sole exception of the TL SH-AWD, which was made by Exedy. The dual-mass
flywheels are very heavy at 30 lbs. The SACs always feel a bit spongy and are fragile.
Current aftermarket offerings all suck, so I designed my own. Aasco makes a nice
aluminum flywheel. I would prefer a steel flywheel as they are much quieter during
cranking, but at least I didn't have to design a complete flywheel. I have a custom
Aasco flywheel, a custom disc and an OEM replacement Exedy pressure plate (for J37).
My custom disc is made just like a stock disc, but with carbon Kevlar lining. It's smooth
and feels like stock, but that material can take a serious beating.

Motul 75w140. At least as good as the Redline MTL that I was using previously. Possibly better.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I remember reading your thread and all the clutch info. You're seriously dedicated to keep pulling the powertrain to try new pieces. Glad you found a set up that you're happy with.

75w140 - got it. I was gonna ask if you've tried Redline MTL, I've heard great things about that as well. I think I'll add that to the list next time I swap trans fluid. I use AMSoil Signature Series currently in the TSX, maybe I'll give 300V a try in my car too. AMSoil comes out to be around $12 a quart so the 300V is definitely a bit pricier but I'm a huge fan of how the bike felt after making the switch so I'll pry use it next oil change.

·
J-Spec
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Thanks! The exhaust actually sounds much better in person. The recording doesn't
quite capture the slightly out-of-phase relationship of the left and right exhaust outlets.

181 - 200 of 208 Posts