Acura TSX Forum banner

201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #204 (Edited)
I finally pulled the trigger on an RB Performance 2170-K brake kit.

I've been accumulating data on different brake components and setups and did some
thorough analysis before ultimately deciding on the RB brake kit. This information is
crucial to making a good choice for a brake system upgrade.

First, let's compare some brake calipers:

I'd like to point out that the Spoon caliper uses the S2000 brake pad, which is very small.
As you can see in the below comparison of brake setups, it causes a major imbalance.
Spoon designed this caliper mainly for upgrading Civics, and why they offered it for a
CL7/CL9 chassis is baffling.

I'm planning on installing 2nd gen TSX rear brake rotors to round out the brake system
upgrade. With the RB front brake kit, this will result in a near-stock brake system balance.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I admire your dedication.

Regarding the RB kit, as a previous RB 4046 user, I feel I gotta chime in. My combo was RB calipers + 300mm RB one-piece rotors + ET500. I don't know which brake pads you plan to use, but my experience is that ET500 can become too hot and lose 100% braking power right after an emergency stop. The larger rotors you have will help, but I will avoid RB brake pads because of the potential danger.

RB calipers/rotors are prone to noise. I had success using Centric Posi-quiet Metallic that keeps the noise to a very reasonable level. This brake pads have softer initial bite but have reassuring braking power, and most importantly do not fade during my ownership of RB calipers.

Overall, I like the calipers and if not for uneven wear issue, I would stick with them. After using Stoptech ST-41, I feel RB does not feel as stiff. The travel on Stoptech feels more like stock calipers, just with more consistent feedback deep into the travel, while RB is very short.

As for BBK, one thing the XLR8 BBK did not work well on my car was the front can lock up more easily especially when braking over bumpy roads. I don't know if that was due to more braking force from the BBK, or simply the extra weight on the 1-piece rotors making my suspension inadequate.

BTW, I have a set of Carbontech Bobcat for 4046 on my shelf that I did not get to use. If you want, I can sell them to you for cheap.

Reactions: Brock

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Thanks, but I don't plan on using metallic pads. My first choice would have been Akebono Performance
pads, but they don't make anything for a 300ZX. It looks like the JDM Nismo S-Tune pads might be the
Akebono Performance pads, so I ordered a set from Japan. Akebono supplies a lot of OEMs, including
Nissan, so I'm hoping the Nismo pads are what I'm looking for.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Love seeing more progress on this car still. Assume that is a Euro R Accord roof skin for your swap? That should shave a few hundred pounds off.

With the gen 2 rear rotors? Do you need a custom caliper bracket to run those? Would definitely love something larger out back compared to the tiny stock rotors.

·
J-Spec
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Yes, Euro-R roof panel, although the sunroof was an option for most the Accord sub models.
It's probably closer to 50 lbs weight savings. I'll be sure to weigh everything like I always do
when I get around to swapping the roof. I'm holding off until I move because my garage is
just too damn small.

With the 2nd gen rear rotors, you need a different bracket. The options are Accord Hybrid
05-07 or JDM Inspire (UC1 chassis). I have a set of the Inspire calipers as they are aluminum
just like the JDM Accord calipers. But the bracket is still steel. I'm thinking about designing
my own bracket and having it machined out of 7075 aluminum.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts