Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I am new to this board as you can see...and yesterday I just purchased a Black on Black 6-speed Navi! I live in San Antonio and the only dealership here is Gunn Acura and they do not negotiate on price or accessories AT ALL. They do One Simple Pricing.

I only had three requests...it had to be black ebony interior, 6-speed and Navi. I was not able to drive outside of Texas or too far from San Antonio because a friend was going to dive me. I had to buy a car this weekend because someone T-boned another car who struck me and totaled my Civic. My boss has been giving me major heat because I have been having to car pool w/ a co-worker who comes in an hour later than I do. No, I did not have a rent-a-car due to insurance coverage problems.

So I look for the TSX combo I want and the only dealer in the vicinity that had it was Sterling Acura in Austin, TX. Before hand, one of my Co-worker's son-in-law who works at Gunn Acura gave me a quote out the door with dest, tax, insp and other fees.

I went to Sterling yesterday morning and sat down after the test drive, and then the salesman comes back with the figures starting off at 29,190 + 570 dest, taxes and other fees. He said "just sign here and here, then we start the paperwork and it's yours." I said "no, that doesn't look right" and showed him the spreadsheet I prepared that had the Gunn Acura's quote. I told him "what can you do for me because I drove here to Austin assuming you could beat Gunn's price." He said "ohhh, I will be back." The finance manager comes back and says, "I can match their price, but I can't beat their price." "This is a hot car man that I can sell for sticker tomorrow and there are only two 6-speed Navis in Texas and we have them both."(don't know if that was completely true) I told him, "well match their price and include the alum trim kit, trunk tray and tint my windows and we can do business." He told me there was no way he could do that and I responded by saying "I am in no hurry, so why I would I inconvenience my self by buying a car outside of my city for the same price.” He asked me to come to his office to look at some numbers.

He then took two hundred more dollars off and I said "I am still not comfortable" and started gathering my things. He told me "wait, let me call my boss and explain to him why I am losing this sell over a thousand dollars." His boss came in and said "what if we discount your accessories and also throw in Road Hazard." I made them wait for an hour or so and they were still not budging, so I finally told them if they install the accessories right then, we have a deal. Service was technically closed because it was Saturday, but they agreed to do it excluding the tint because the company they use was not accepting cars because it was 4pm. This is what the final offer I accepted looked like:

Base Price: $27929.00
Destination: $570.00
Alum Trim
3m Tint
Trunk Tray
Road Hazard: $500.00
Tax: $1812.00
County Tax: $73.45
Insp: $127.05
Doc: $50.00
Total: $31,061.50

This was the first time I purchased a vehicle in my name...and my first buying experience. I am happy with outcome because I got the combo I wanted and I knew going in I did not have a lot of leverage because they had the product. I guess I just wanted you guy’s opinion for additional reassurance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
caz1604 said:
Base Price: $27929.00
Destination: $570.00
Alum Trim
3m Tint
Trunk Tray
Road Hazard: $500.00
Tax: $1812.00
County Tax: $73.45
Insp: $127.05
Doc: $50.00
Total: $31,061.50
Base price is a bit high IMO. I would have looked for the $27,000 maybe a little more. The destination fee is crap.. I'd tell them to shove it. "It's already here.. what the **** do I care?" I'd say.... I'm not sure what road hazard is.. but $500!?

Just my HO.. but what's done si done. It's a sweet car, you're happy, you got a bunch of free stuff...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
csnoke said:
Base price is a bit high IMO. I would have looked for the $27,000 maybe a little more. The destination fee is crap.. I'd tell them to shove it. "It's already here.. what the **** do I care?" I'd say.... I'm not sure what road hazard is.. but $500!?

Just my HO.. but what's done si done. It's a sweet car, you're happy, you got a bunch of free stuff...

No...$500.00 was for the alum kit, trunk tray, 3m tint and the road hazard. Road Hazard covers my rims and tires for 5yr at 100% for any damage done while driving...i.e. pothole, nails etc.

Like I mentioned...I was a little under the gun and I had to leave with the car on Saturday because my boss has been on my case for my unexpected transportation problems. They were the only dealer in my area who had a 6-speed navi, so I knew going in they were going to hold that over my head. I hear you though, it could have been better, but I am happy; you live and you learn!

·
Registered
49 Posts
netoperek said:
I dont think you can negotiate destination charge.
That's what they want you to think... just like this concept of a "invoice price." Total nonsense. With the $700 holdback you should aim for below "invoice" price. Don't listen to their nonsense.

Destination charges add up, but they were the ones who decided to bring the car there (it is an internal expense)... not you. Tell them color isnt that big of a concern of yours.. you'll get a better price.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree w/ csnoke. I think you overpaid a bit. Funny how they think they have the only two 6-spds. There is one here in ELP. Think it falls in a different region, but still in TX. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cmf said:
I agree w/ csnoke. I think you overpaid a bit. Funny how they think they have the only two 6-spds. There is one here in ELP. Think it falls in a different region, but still in TX. :D
No, they said they had the only two 6-speed navis if that is what you were saying. My friend from Gunn Acura here in SA said that he didn't want to tell me but if I had bought through him , he was going to have to go out of state to get a 6-speed navi. Oh well, I AM VERY HAPPY regardless and I got the car I wanted in the time frame I wanted. I HAD to buy a car that Saturday, so I was pressed and they were not budging anymore on the price. They did beat the non-negotiable price I would have paid for it here in town! In the end, I am not complaining one bit because I have a 6-speed navi TSX.

I definitely do appreciate the feedback so next time I am a little more prepared! Thx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts