Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with this? I was driving on the highway and I heard a bad scrapping sound. At first I though it was ICE and then I was like no way that sounds bad. So when I looked under it seems there is a cover that goes over the car/a heat shield of some sort.

I was just gonna tear off seeing as how it serves no real purpose other than containing heat? Maybe I am wrong. In addition I had plans on installing either a testpipe or HFC so either way its gonna get changed soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! What I ended up doing was going under the car and Basically used a ZIP TIE to place it together. Ghetto but it worked. The whole thing from rust basically fell apart. Gives me an excuse to slap a test pipe on it now

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you want the cheap and easy fix, get yourself some thin wire and tie them together. The screws are rusted and will probably need to be cut off. Zip ties will melt off. The other two options are to remove the bottom cover all together or replace it. I'm already on my 3rd one for our 95 Accord, but replaced the cheap OEM bolts with stainless steel bolts. They still do rust a bit but I can usually get them off and replace them with new ones instead of having to cut/drill them off. You probably need a lift if you are going to do this yourself.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
If you want the cheap and easy fix, get yourself some thin wire and tie them together. The screws are rusted and will probably need to be cut off. Zip ties will melt off. The other two options are to remove the bottom cover all together or replace it. I'm already on my 3rd one for our 95 Accord, but replaced the cheap OEM bolts with stainless steel bolts. They still do rust a bit but I can usually get them off and replace them with new ones instead of having to cut/drill them off. You probably need a lift if you are going to do this yourself.
You won't need a lift, just put the front of the car up on jackstands and get under there, it's not too tight under there.

Secondly... rip the covers off (upper and lower) and get on with life -- they're there for the one time someone will park on a patch of tall dry grass and cause a fire. Just don't park on said tall dry grass. :)

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
You won't need a lift, just put the front of the car up on jackstands and get under there, it's not too tight under there.

Secondly... rip the covers off (upper and lower) and get on with life -- they're there for the one time someone will park on a patch of tall dry grass and cause a fire. Just don't park on said tall dry grass. :)
I agree with you, but I still think the OP should just buy a couple bolts and reattach it. I'm pretty low and I'd rather scrape the cat cover than the cat itself. I mean, if you needed more than a few bolts to fix it, I'd also say to just rip them off, but thats not the case.

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
I agree with you, but I still think the OP should just buy a couple bolts and reattach it. I'm pretty low and I'd rather scrape the cat cover than the cat itself. I mean, if you needed more than a few bolts to fix it, I'd also say to just rip them off, but thats not the case.
Odds are, if it fell off like it did, it's not a fastener problem... it likely rusted off at the tabs that the bolts go through. Mine was holding on by one 1mm piece of rusty metal on one tab... the other tabs were all detached - rusted clear through. Wrapping a wire around it would have lasted probably a month at most, as the rest of the heatshield would have just rusted to oblivion.

Remind me again why I live in Canada? :laugh:

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
yeah mine was rattling, all the bolts were rusted out ...
i'd rather scrape the cat cover than the actual cat... so i guess i'll be looking for a new one sometime soon.... don't think i have to worry about any tall grass at the moment, with all that snow!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
That happened to my 95 accord. The bolt holes rusted so bad that the rear of the cat shield was dangling. I noticed this on my drive from GA to PA. I was scared to death the other bolt holes were going to go and that piece of metal was going to fly into whatever car was behind me. When I got home and the car cooled, all it took was a few shakes and it came off!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
for me just the front two bolts are rusted right through..rear two are in great condition still

quick fix
being an electrician n all i had some bare copper laying around and used it to hold the two pieces of shield together as a temp fix..im happy

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Mine came loose on the drive home the other day and fell off; that said my car is at stock height so I'm not even going to bother replacing it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Two of the bolts came off my heat shield about a month ago. Just went out and bought some bolts from Home Depot and bolted it back up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey old thread but i wanted to give my input just incase someone still having these issues, what i did was went and got my self 2 big stainless steal clamps and clamp them together. its been on my car for 20k miles now and no issues AT ALL..cheap and easy.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Hey old thread but i wanted to give my input just incase someone still having these issues, what i did was went and got my self 2 big stainless steal clamps and clamp them together. its been on my car for 20k miles now and no issues AT ALL..cheap and easy.
can you give us a picture of how they look like? are you talking about these clamps??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts