Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post! Too bad its because i have a huge problem :(

So, I spend about the last 8 hours searching online trying to find some sort of answer. A buddy ended up looking on All Data, which has been the most help so far. Hopefully somebody here can shed some more light.

Car- 2006 TSX A/T, 71xxx miles, non-navi, original owner, 100% stock, never had any major issues before.

2 weeks ago I notice the car idling real rough for a few seconds (park,drive, neutral, doesnt matter) after I was driving for about 20 minutes, it cleared up real quick, maybe in 5-10 seconds. It did it a couple more times over a couple days, same way each time. Then on Sunday after about 20 minutes of driving, it actually stalls out after a couple seconds of a real rough idle. It fired back up, still idled rough for a few more minutes, CEL popped on, and then cleared up...

So I stopped at autozone to get the code(s) read, it only had one, P1009 - VTC advance malfunction. So I googled it real quick, saw a few different definitions of what that code mean/ what the fix is... It seems like the general consensus is that the VTC solenoid should be replaced, assuming the car is not low on oil and has oil pressure. So stupid me, assuming that this isnt a huge huge issue, I decided to put it off until the weekend. Well yesterday morning the car shut down during driving and refused to start up again. Had it towed home, and was able to get it running (like complete crap) by holding the throttle about 30-50% open, and it sounds almost like its running on 3 cyl, or it has an enormous cam in it.

I know its "running" on all 4, I know it has oil, batter power is good (have a battery charger on it to keep it from draining during testing), checked the filter screen behind the serpentine belt tensioner, pulled the VTC solenoid out to see if it was a full of crud, its not, it Ohm'd out at 7.7ohms (no clue if thats good or not), Cleaned the hell out of the throttle body, cleaned the MAP, and checked out everything I'm capable of. Now here's something I'm really worried about.... Compression test, cold engine, 1-4, 180psi, 150psi, 150psi, 220psi... Obviously, I cant get the engine warm, because it doesnt start... Now I'm not totally sold that those comp. numbers are accurate. An older engine like this can dramatically change its static comp. when it warms up.. Also bent valves usually = 0-10psi total and timing chain being off = all 4 cyl equally being out of whack. So I'm thinking that the VTC and/or VTEC is "stuck" maybe??

I can get a solenoid today, $190 from the dealer, however I'm lacking confidence that this will solve my problem. I'm going to go grab it anyways, and hopefully somebody can reply letting me know if I'm good to go with a solenoid swap.. Or they can tell me what I need to get done. :puke:

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update- Replaced the solenoid with a new part, new spark plugs, fresh oil, car runs, but runs like crap (same as wednesday).. I think its in limp mode, along with its remaining problems. It takes ~30% throttle to get it to start and keep it "idling" sounds like it has a massive cam in it. Wont rev past 2400rpm. Got another CEL though, so I'll scan it, and go from there. I'm guessing the intake cam sprocket is F'ed too, the car is clearly stuck in full advance and/or vtec.

Also, I'm 90% sure why all this happened.. Part my fault, part JiffyLube's fault. JiffyLube clearly did NOT even change my oil.. On wednesday, when S hit the fan, the first thing I did was top it off (2.5 quarts :/), and drained it last night, it came out dirty, dark black, like dirty diesel semi-truck oil. My fault is being lazy or too busy that one time a couple months ago and not changing it myself.(f)(l)(a)(

Can anybody define how the car runs/acts when its in "limp mode"?? I'm cutting my teeth on the K-series engine with this issue, I normally work on subaru and mitsubishi cars.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Maybe its the gear itself that isn't working properly?.. I'm not sure what the symptoms of a faulty gear is though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe its the gear itself that isn't working properly?.. I'm not sure what the symptoms of a faulty gear is though.
Its definitely on the procedure list, I'm kind of at the point of just yankin' the head off and going through it, replacing everything that needs to be replaced.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
well if you were that low on oil for that long of a time, your crank bearings are probably scored and garbage, and i wouldnt doubt that your cams are shot to death. The only way to find out is to start taking it apart. Taking the cover off and inspecting the cams will give you a pretty good idea on the status of the engine.

Limp mode doesnt allow you to go past 2500rpm, and youll have almost no power, but in *most* cases the car will run fine. but if its that severely damaged you may be SOL and in need of a engine rebuild.

after replacing the solenoid you can disconnect the battery for a few min to completely clear the codes and issues and see if itll run ok. but if it doesnt keep the car off and dont touch it until you start breaking the motor apart or you could risk even more damage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well if you were that low on oil for that long of a time, your crank bearings are probably scored and garbage, and i wouldnt doubt that your cams are shot to death. The only way to find out is to start taking it apart. Taking the cover off and inspecting the cams will give you a pretty good idea on the status of the engine.

Limp mode doesnt allow you to go past 2500rpm, and youll have almost no power, but in *most* cases the car will run fine. but if its that severely damaged you may be SOL and in need of a engine rebuild.

after replacing the solenoid you can disconnect the battery for a few min to completely clear the codes and issues and see if itll run ok. but if it doesnt keep the car off and dont touch it until you start breaking the motor apart or you could risk even more damage
thanks for clarifying limp mode, I sent you a PM too.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Tried and true example of how important regular maintenance is.
Sorry about your trouble, hopefully it isnt anything major.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried and true example of how important regular maintenance is.
Sorry about your trouble, hopefully it isnt anything major.
yup, I'm not taking any chances, I'm pulling the head anyways, just going to have it torn down and cleaned real good, replace anything thats broken. I'm going to clean out the block as much as possible too. So far the only parts, that i can actually see, that are damaged, are the timing chain and guides. I know the intake sprocket is toast internally, but the all the rockers, and both cams look ok.

I also know that no valves were bent, leakdown was right on the money, i caught a break there... :laugh:

·
Speed Density
72 Posts
I'll find out in about 2 hours when I get back to my garage.
All cars has a Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) or Crank Angle Sensor. It's an input signal to the PCM that detects misfire and #1 TDC. A malfunctioning CKP will cause no fuel and spark at the same time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
your cars engine oil low light didnt come on?
not once... im thinking maybe its bad, so im replacing it, along with all the timing components and intake cam sprocket, oil pump and i pulled the head off, had it freshened up...

I think i know for sure what went wrong, after i get the car put together and running, ill post the details of what i did to fix this issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohhhkkkk...

So, as of this past Sunday evening, the car is all back together and perfect, running like a champ. What I did... Found that the timing chain had jumped about 5-6 teeth, had wacky compression numbers, the car would not really run. 2 trouble codes p1009 and p0341. So I decided to pull the head, in fear of massive oil contamination and bent valves.

Got the head off (major pain) sent it out to the machine shop to get cleaned out, inspected for bent valves, ect, ect. Got it back in 2 days, no valves were bent, but had them lapped, new seals, ect. I ordered all the parts from acuragenuinparts .com and bought all new timing components, head gasket kit, new VTC solenoid, and Intake cam gear. Idk if the cam gear and VTC solenoid were necessary.. I feel that removing the head was, at the very least to get it cleaned out really good.

Put it all together, kinda had to figure it out as i was going, couldn't find a whole lot of guidance here or hondatech. Lucky, i didnt mix up any rockers, and its actually very simple to time this engine (especially compared to a subaru, omg). Getting the front cover on and off was insane. After I got it off for the first time, and realized I had to HondaBond it back together, I was losing sleep over that.. lol. But I figured it out, raised the motor a little with a floor jack, and practiced putting in on and off a dozen times before I put HB on it and slid it in (haha) and bolted it down. Fired right up on the first try, my heart started beating again, and I also lucked out with zero leaks, zero other issues, and I have put about 200 miles on it since..

Glad thats over with

·
What to put here...
1,050 Posts
Wow, you must be a bit of a daredevil -- no service manual and you completely tore the head apart and put it back together?! Y'know, the Helm's (service manual) is only like $80 and it has every nut/bolt/torque spec in the entire car!! ;)

But seriously, good job on remedying the problem. When I first read that you were low on oil while reading through this thread, I immediately thought "timing chain skipped", especially when you mention the compression numbers were all out of whack. Glad it's fixed, but PLEASE don't EVER go back to ANY JiffyLube type of place again. ;)

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
glad you got her fixed. Did you check the timing chain tensioner ? k's are notorious for blowing up because of a bad one (usually not the a2 in the tsx).

·
Registered
4 Posts
ohhhkkkk...

So, as of this past Sunday evening, the car is all back together and perfect, running like a champ. What I did... Found that the timing chain had jumped about 5-6 teeth, had wacky compression numbers, the car would not really run. 2 trouble codes p1009 and p0341. So I decided to pull the head, in fear of massive oil contamination and bent valves.

Got the head off (major pain) sent it out to the machine shop to get cleaned out, inspected for bent valves, ect, ect. Got it back in 2 days, no valves were bent, but had them lapped, new seals, ect. I ordered all the parts from acuragenuinparts .com and bought all new timing components, head gasket kit, new VTC solenoid, and Intake cam gear. Idk if the cam gear and VTC solenoid were necessary.. I feel that removing the head was, at the very least to get it cleaned out really good.

Put it all together, kinda had to figure it out as i was going, couldn't find a whole lot of guidance here or hondatech. Lucky, i didnt mix up any rockers, and its actually very simple to time this engine (especially compared to a subaru, omg). Getting the front cover on and off was insane. After I got it off for the first time, and realized I had to HondaBond it back together, I was losing sleep over that.. lol. But I figured it out, raised the motor a little with a floor jack, and practiced putting in on and off a dozen times before I put HB on it and slid it in (haha) and bolted it down. Fired right up on the first try, my heart started beating again, and I also lucked out with zero leaks, zero other issues, and I have put about 200 miles on it since..

Glad thats over with
Your entire situation sounds like what I have in front of me. 2005 with all the same issues. Got it for free when nice lady purchased a new Civic and just wanted to say good bye to here dealer maintained TSX. Little did I know..... but when I dropepd the oil and saw that black "Texas Tea" and along with the rough idle and cutting off with foot off the gas I went online and saw a ton of similar issues. Codes are p0300-p0304 and p0341. Your description is the most detailed by far and is almost an exact copy of what Im experiencing. I dont want to put mush into this car so Ill have to approach it carefully. I'll have to read your post a few more times but thinking new chain, timing adjusted, valves adjusted, chain tensioner, VTC, plugs, coils, and then a little praying. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Your entire situation sounds like what I have in front of me. 2005 with all the same issues. Got it for free when nice lady purchased a new Civic and just wanted to say good bye to here dealer maintained TSX. Little did I know..... but when I dropepd the oil and saw that black "Texas Tea" and along with the rough idle and cutting off with foot off the gas I went online and saw a ton of similar issues. Codes are p0300-p0304 and p0341. Your description is the most detailed by far and is almost an exact copy of what Im experiencing. I dont want to put mush into this car so Ill have to approach it carefully. I'll have to read your post a few more times but thinking new chain, timing adjusted, valves adjusted, chain tensioner, VTC, plugs, coils, and then a little praying. Any suggestions?
You just resurrected a 9 year old thread.... But moving on.... If the engine is in that bad of shape, it may be more cost effective to just drop in a JDM longblock. They can be had for under $1000, and even if you are paying labor, shouldn't take more than 2 days to swap, where it will take several to put all those new parts on what appears to have been a neglected engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts