Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a small issue with the passenger muffler (only) moving up and down, knocking against my bumper. This occurs under load of course (or not enough gas etc.). It can be avoided by adding more gas, but I CAN reproduce it, and so want to fix it.
Any idea why this would be happening? And only on the passenger side?

Apexi WS2. Reinforced skid plate. Bashed on debris on the highway. Only started occurring AFTER I had my exhaust realigned. I thought it was clearance on the RSB, turned out to differently.

The motion is up and down. (hangars?)
thx

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Yup it's the hangers.... Had the same issue when I replace my exhaust... The hangers were sagging so I replaced with cusco hangers and problem solved...

·
Registered
856 Posts
Cusco hangers = SOLID. That exhaust will not ****ing move. You'll need four. You shouldn't spend more than $60 for them.

Also, J's Racing has the triangle hangers farther up. .I may replace that as well in the future for due diligence.

Reinforced skid plate? Metal instead of plastic I take it. Link?

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, I ordered from Sakari Motorsports; they matched (beat?) whatever lowest I found at the time.

Cool thought on the skid plates. Welds will hold fine, nobody sees them.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya tbh, probably could have cleaned up the rear welds a bit, but we only had an 4" wire disc. And I just spent 99hrs cutting out my seized camber arms to want to finesse anything with a dremel ?

IPhone Autoguide

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
I'm still running my oem ones in the back and cusco in the front ... My Tanabe exhaust has no movement at all.... I choose cusco just because there cool looking in blue .. Lmao ... but you can get no brand from local auto parts if u like... Either way replace those worn out ones and u set...

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thx guys. Will see how it goes. Just weird that it was moving so much. Didn't think that was possible. And only on one side.
Looking to get a lip kit, this will make the gaps smaller... Hopefully not worse too.

IPhone Autoguide

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: installed the new cusco/J's hangars. The exhaust does not bounce around anymore like it did before.
Unfortunately, now it rattles against my RSB when idling with a bit of weight in the car. Literally, if I step out of the car it stops, when I sit down it starts. This baffled me for a bit as I could not hear it outside the car, only inside. Then realized it was my own biddy weight that did it. And I'm not fat - jerks! :).
Seriously though:
*Progress RSB
*Apexi WS2 (1/4" skid plate welded on - should hang lower, stiff setting)
*OEM end links
*HT F&F1 -down about 2" and a bit.

My RSB is currently only millimeters from the pipe. Is this similar to others? Or did I get some sort of height damage to something in there?
Will softening the RSB setting raise the bar? (I feel like opposite effect).

Thanks helpers!!

IPhone Autoguide

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx. I'm pretty sure I didn't have the problem before the road debris incident. But I also lowered the car more, added skid plate, etc before that point. I don't know what to do to gain clearance. It almost like the whole exhaust is bent upwards near the back. But it's not noticeable.

Anyone with WS2 & progress RSB lowered?

IPhone Autoguide

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sigh... Temp fix: heat wrapped pipe and RSB at point of contact. About 3/4" of wrapping between. No more knocking!
I think adjustable end links may be the solution.

IPhone Autoguide

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
good to know..i have a nice rattle that is constant at 1700 rpms.. it comes and goes. But when its present its easily detectable at 1700 rpms.

I guess its time to replace those hangars :).

but the progress rsb issue saddens me :(.

Damn apexi for making such a low hanging exhaust

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
good to know..i have a nice rattle that is constant at 1700 rpms.. it comes and goes. But when its present its easily detectable at 1700 rpms.

I guess its time to replace those hangars :).

but the progress rsb issue saddens me :(.

rattle? it could just be your heat shield for the cat.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, my car is not nearly dropped as far as I would like, yet I can barely fit a pop (soda=US) can under the lowest part of my exhaust! It's like, "stealth slammed" lol.

rattle? it could just be your heat shield for the cat.
Kev is most likely right about the heat shield rattle. I actually had that issue. It'll come and go at low rpm and under heavy load. Check the tabs where the heat shield is supposed to be attached to the cat. I think you'll find that its snapped off. Just bend it away from the cat.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So after adding these stiffer hangars, bleeding my clutch after a failed attempt to install my braided clutch hose and installing hybrid racing cable bushings, I seem to feel my car drives differently...
Maybe I didn't bleed out all air from the clutch line, or it has finally been flushed with new fluid, but I seem to be breaking traction on my starts all of a sudden, where previously i had not. How will the clutch feel if I didn't get the air out? Or is this somehow more power transfer due to the exhaust being tightly held (it was particularly saggy and movable before)?
I'll be honest and say I feel more low end power, but the 5hp per bushing and painted engine part couldn't actually be real... Can it?

IPhone Autoguide

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thinking about it, it's prob that I got air out of the line so the clutch FP is higher on the pedal than where I'm used to...

IPhone Autoguide

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.