Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was filling up my gas tank, and wanted to pump it full with the temporarily low gas price before the week starts (it seems to be going ever higher and higher).

I pumped it so full that it spilled, and GUESS WHAT ... It did not spill from the circular entrance of the tank, where we insert the pump gun. It was observed that gasoline actually dripped out from beneath the car along the left mud guard.

Is this a design feature? Or is my '05 TSX having a problem?! Anyone with the same experience?

Acuran

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
umm..i've overfilled before but it spilled from the circular entrance..where we insert the pump gun..

so maybe you should get it checked out just in case? btw i have an '04

·
Registered
954 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. It's like that on my Integra as well.

When I accidentally overfill it, it comes out of the place where the gas pump is inserted and flows out and drains onto the left-rear tire. I like that better than flowing out from where the fuel door is and spilling down the side of the car.

The overflowing gas has to go somewhere... you wouldn't want it pooling anywhere on the car, and it can't go back into the tank since it is full already.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sjlee said:
......The overflowing gas has to go somewhere... you wouldn't want it pooling anywhere on the car.....
Yeah, but this way, you can't tell so easily when it starts overflowing.

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
Yeah, but this way, you can't tell so easily when it starts overflowing.
If you're worried about overfilling it, you should really stop pumping as soon as it automatically stops. Don't you ever heed that warning "Don't top off"?! :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
sjlee said:
If you're worried about overfilling it, you should really stop pumping as soon as it automatically stops. Don't you ever heed that warning "Don't top off"?! :D
nah u wait 15 seconds, and then pump again, and keep on doing that u can pack in another gallon or two before it stops,

alot of the guys on this forum like to do that because there all trying to get more then 500 miles outta a tank

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
You guys are joking right? Theres no way you get three more gallons after the pump auto shuts off. I never top off though, so I'll have to take your word for it I guess...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
joerockt said:
You guys are joking right? Theres no way you get three more gallons after the pump auto shuts off. I never top off though, so I'll have to take your word for it I guess...
Dunno about anybody else, but I'M not joking.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
im not as talented as Larch, but I managed to get 2 extra gallons in it the other day packin her,

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Wait a few years, all you need is a little more experience.

Like about another 30 years maybe. And WAY too much free time. :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
I think it'll vary on the design of the tank. On my Integra, once it auto-stops, I'm lucky if I can get another gallon in before it overflows. There's no real skill involved... just pump it slowly, but you have to stop if you can actually see the gas in the fill pipe.

After it stops the first time, I usually pump more in until it stops a second time. Anymore than that and I'm usually wasting gas.

If you guys try to squeeze more gas into the tank, be careful because sometimes you'll find that the auto-shutoff feature isn't working. I saw an older man who had gas flowing all over the place because the pump didn't shutoff, and he wasn't paying attention. I ended up having to tell him to turn around and see the shocked look on his face as he frantically tried to stop it.

·
Overworked Microsoft Peon
13,780 Posts
I can get around 3 gallons...

Pump clicks at around 11 gallons, end up at around high 13's or low 14's at the end.

Really takes patience, since you have to really control the flow rate to not cause it to backflow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it dangerous?

Have similar experience as Larchmont and Revenent.

When Low Gas Light comes on (with four gallons left in tank), tank takes approximately 13.3 gallons to automatic shut off.

If I'm patient and barely squeeze the handle, I can get another 3 gallons in before overfill.

With 20 or so gallons this give great highway cruising range (at 30 to 32 MPG that's 600 to 640 miles!)

Have done this a few times but have always wondered if there is anything unsafe about filling tank up completely--especially in case of accident with full tank of gas.

Any thoughts?

04 TSX 6sp (Dec.03) CG Non Nav 20k miles

·
oh so so fresh
118 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
nah u wait 15 seconds, and then pump again, and keep on doing that u can pack in another gallon or two before it stops,

alot of the guys on this forum like to do that because there all trying to get more then 500 miles outta a tank

isn't there a charcoal filter in the tank. If you top off too much you'll end up needing to replace your fuel system because your filter will go bad, futhermore effecting your fuel pump, etc;

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
FASTSX said:
isn't there a charcoal filter in the tank. If you top off too much you'll end up needing to replace your fuel system because your filter will go bad, futhermore effecting your fuel pump, etc;
The charcoal canaster is usually located outside the gas tank and can be replaced.

Topping off your tank dosent hurt anything. I used to do it in my Tacoma all the time. For some reason, I've been reluctant to do it in the TSX. But now knowing that i could add about 2 or 3 more gallons, I will try.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can only add half a gallon more after the gas pump clicks off; otherwise, it will overflow. In my previous car I could add a full gallon more.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I do it all the time. And I usually get about a gallon or more.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the info that you can squeeze in more. Concerning dangerous I wonder if anything neg could happen in very hot weather. Is there an overpressure vent for the vapors to escape in hot weather? Theoretically the tank could heat up so much that what little air/vapor is in there could want to expand so much that it could burst a weld or rubber lining or whatever auto tanks are made from. Then you'll have a real leak problem.

* I doubt it could cause a fire though because according to a webiste gas dosn't autoignite until 500degrees F.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
20Seven said:
Thanks for the info that you can squeeze in more. Concerning dangerous I wonder if anything neg could happen in very hot weather. Is there an overpressure vent for the vapors to escape in hot weather? Theoretically the tank could heat up so much that what little air/vapor is in there could want to expand so much that it could burst a weld or rubber lining or whatever auto tanks are made from. Then you'll have a real leak problem.

* I doubt it could cause a fire though because according to a webiste gas dosn't autoignite until 500degrees F.
I think this IS INDEED something to keep in mind, and I always do.
It's not only the vapors, but also that the gasoline liquid itself could EXPAND, which I imagine it does when it gets warmer.

So I never top it off too much when the temp is gonna be getting warmer in the coming hours and I'm not gonna be driving off some of the gasoline right away.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts