Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I no longer have my TSX. While I love many things about it, in the end it came down to being too stiff riding and the seats being too uncomfortable for me. I hated to give up the wonderful handling and the sweet engine, but there is no use staying with a car that gives you literal aches and pains.

I now own a 2001 Lexus GS300. It is a Certified Pre-Owned car with only 32,000 miles on it. It is in beautiful condition, and the Lexus dealer from which I bought it has fixed the few minor problems that I saw. The seats are very comfortable and while it does not handle like the TSX, it takes curves and corners quite well. So, I wish all of you well with your TSXs - I just wish it had worked out for me.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Just have to remember there's a car out there for everyone...you just have to find it.. Sounds like you got a car that's to your liking and that's good :nod: I love the looks of the current gen GS..very sexy.. Just wish I had enough money to get one :bawling:
But good luck to ya... And that's no excuse for not posting here...so come back often!!
Oh yeah, I'm gonna be waiting for a review about your new ride after a road trip :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Good luck with it, DSM -- sorry the TSX didn't work out.

(Sound of riffling pages, as Larchmont looks up the GS 300.......)

I don't know the car at all, and I think most of us don't. I haven't ever much thought of it, because I long ago swore off RWD's. Let's see.....

My two main references are Consumer Reports and Consumer Guide, since I guess I'm more of a "consumer" than an "enthusiast." :D

Consumer Reports: Likes it. Top reliability, above average satisfaction. The car gets their "Recommended" nod. Beyond that: ".....a quiet and powerful luxury sedan.....[Engine is] smooth, powerful, and linked to a superlative 5-speed automatic transmission......Lack the optimal ride-and-handling balance of the BMW 5-series and MB E-class. Handling is capable but unexceptional. The front seats are comfortable :D ......A redesign featuring AWD and two new engines is due next year."

(emphasis and smiley mine) :naughty:

Consumer Guide: LOVES it. Total score of 67 out of 100, which might sound mediocre but actually it's a top, top score. (TSX gets 62, which is also terrific.)

Yes indeed DSM, I hope you won't be a stranger! You've been a great member of this site, truly a one-of-a-kind, and we'd miss you a lot if you stayed away.

Maybe for starters you could tell us some about the car. I would have thought (admittedly simplistically) that it was sort of a RWD ES300/330, but it can't be, because it's regarded as a superior car. For example, besides the higher cost, I see that publications that put the ES300/330 under "near-luxury" call the GS300 "LUXURY." So, I don't know!

Best of luck, DSM -- hope this one works out!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have seen TSX reviews where they talk about the comfort of the seats lacking... well I am unsure whether Australia's Accord Euro has different seats or not, but I have found them EXTREMELY comfortable so far, infact I don't even get sore whereas I did in my previous 2001 Honda Civic!

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
thats so weird cuz I think the TSX seats are WAY more comfortable than the accord seats, or any others that I've had.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little more about why I traded in the TSX: The seats were very nice as to their seating position, but they were too hard for me and the stiff side bolster at the left front of the seat hurt my left thigh all the time. The other reason is the ride to me is too stiff, almost brutal, especially on bad roadway. I felt that I was getting jarred so much that I dreaded to go over some roads that I have to drive each day. I will say that I had a great experience with my Acura dealer while I had it.

About the Lexus GS300. It is called a "luxury sport sedan," but the emphasis is more on the luxury. It is a rear wheel drive car with an inline 6 cylinder engine that makes 220 HP with 220 pounds of torque. It has all the performance features (ABS, VSC, brake assist, etc. as well as curtain side airbags). It will move quite nicely if it needs to, but not as fast as the GS400(430) which has a V-8 engine. (I test drove a 2004 ES330, and while it had a beautiful interior, it had no road feel and handled like mush). The GS300 has about every luxury feature you could want, except audio controls on the steering wheel. On the other hand, it does have manual shift buttons on the steering wheel to control the 5-speed automatic transmission.

Lexus' Certified Pre-Owned cars come with a 3-year bumper to bumper warranty up to 100,000 miles. It is thoroughly inspected and reconditioned. As I said earlier, the car is in beautiful condition. I dont think anyone ever sat in the back seats. The dealer put on new tires (Dunlop SP Sport 5000s), new battery, new mats, etc. The previous owner must have let the windshield wipers deterioriate badly because there were surface scratches in the wiper path that were very annoying. I asked the dealer if they would consider replacing the windshield, and they did so with no question.

I'll be taking a trip to the NC mountains at the end of August and I will report about the road trip afterwards.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
DSM said:
.....(I test drove a 2004 ES330, and while it had a beautiful interior, it had no road feel and handled like mush)....
Exactly my impression of the ES300 when I tried it a couple of years ago.

I had assumed the ES300 was going to be my next car, until I tried it. :donno:

Just as I had assumed the Volvo S70 (soon to become basically the S60, I guess) was going to be my next car, until the reliability ratings started coming out.

Thanks for the info about the GS300 -- interesting, and sounds great.

Also it sounds like you did a nice job on your deal. Good luck -- looking forward to your updates!

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
Thorn2004 said:
I have seen TSX reviews where they talk about the comfort of the seats lacking... well I am unsure whether Australia's Accord Euro has different seats or not, but I have found them EXTREMELY comfortable so far, infact I don't even get sore whereas I did in my previous 2001 Honda Civic!
I'm actually finding the accommodations of the TSX to be better than my Volvo ... it's a shock, but now I feel cramped in the Volvo's front seat. Playing with the seat controls for the past 9 months I've almost managed to get the TSX seat as comfortable as the Volvo's seat ... but the remainder of the TSX accommodations are definitely superior. I think if Honda adds the option of the Recaros available on the Euro-R (and adds a turbo) I'll have reached nirvana.

Great reviews on the Lexus in CR, but I've always looked tight past the GS300/GS400 because it's AT only. (The new, 500hp, V10 e60 M5, which is also AT only, drops off my radar for the same reason.)

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
bob shiftright said:
I think if Honda adds the option of the Recaros available on the Euro-R (and adds a turbo) I'll have reached nirvana.

:sprint:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts