Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I drove the Avalon and hated it and then went to check out the accord. With the exception of 3-4 amenities the cars are the same. The accord has a bigger engine and is a bit bigger overall. Theres about a $20 a month diff in price. So I'm torn. Do I get the "nicer" acura or the faster, less expensive accord?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
A fully loaded Accord EX V6 can be bought for about the same price as a base TSX. However, the TSX is a nicer looking car and feels more sporty over the Accord sedans, plus the styling of the Accord is rather ugly IMO.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I agree, i had the same decision, and went w/ the TSX, so go w/ the TSX, but only if u wear ur damn seatbelt

·
Ridiculous
67 Posts
theres tons of posts out there comparing the two, i made my decision based on my test drive and the fact that theres 50 Accords to every TSX on the road

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
I think it depends on what your used to. I like a sportier handling car myself. I like the cockpit feel and the quick handling. If you need more room then go with the Accord. I like the fact that I am driving an Accord in essence but it is a rarer more sexy looking version. Oh comon and just buy the TSX! :jeffy:

Err.....Sorry, I hear the Accord is kinda fast...

·
Denial: a river in Egypt
277 Posts
My wife is considering the Avalon also......Why did you hate it so?

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same opinion of the accord... UGLY. The salesman keeps making me an offer. Went from $402 to $357/mo. Logically I should get the 240hp accord, which is bigger. But that damn TSX is sooooo sexy.

Why I hated the Avalon... I dunno, I'm 29 and it made me feel 49 I guess.

G

·
Everyone is obsessed with bigger but you only get a couple of inches here and there. I'm sure you're not in this boat, but there is a neurotic obsession with size. It is sometimes as if people think they get more for their money if the car is bigger. When Car and Driver voted the TSX in the Top 10, the referred to its dimensions as just-right-sized." If you are 6 foot 7 inches or over 250 lbs it might make sense to sacrifice a really cool car for for a couple of inches. Otherwise, you are not getting that much extra and losing a lot. The Accord is really butt ugly. I am harsh about it because my entire family has been Honda fans for over 20 years but someone was sleeping at the helm when they passed the Accord's final drawings for approval. The other experience I want to share is that I traded in my old Sentra SE-R because I got married and I fell to the size obsession. Seven years later, after two ho-hum cars that I bought because they were practical, I got tired of it. Most of us are going to go into debt and drive the car for 10 more years so it should put a smile on your face every morning and at least make writing the monthly checks not hurt so bad. Finally, if you didn't have the hots for the TSX, you wouldn't be posting here. Go with your heart, it will make going on a grocery run or some other silly task much more enjoyable. Best wishes and good luck. I hope you accept my strong opinion on this as it was intended with the best of intentions.

Ignacio

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went for the TSX because it's a great car, but also it just made sense financially. Higher resale, better warranty, better mileage (compared to V6) and free roadside service (no more AAA), etc. Also an Edmunds lowest true cost to own. KBB private party value on my '04 TSX with 12,000 miles is equal to what I paid for it new 8 months ago.

·
gas-aholic
208 Posts
reviews have raved about the TSX...but not for the accord. many critics say that the accord has lost its spirit trying to compete in the "Family Sedan" market. It's a wallowy, non-hondarish sedan that just gets you there safely. there's no longer that crisp, honda feel--which would be the only reason to buy an accord over the Camry..

·
oh so so fresh
118 Posts
marcura02 said:
Well I drove the Avalon and hated it and then went to check out the accord. With the exception of 3-4 amenities the cars are the same. The accord has a bigger engine and is a bit bigger overall. Theres about a $20 a month diff in price. So I'm torn. Do I get the "nicer" acura or the faster, less expensive accord?
Quick question, did you test drive the AVALON w/ the 3.5L 280hp? Because that is supposed to have much more technological features than honda accord and tsx. Don't get me wrong, tsx is still a great car but i believe that the avalon is a totally different class than a tsx. A person who buys a tsx is usually looking for a sport-luxury sedan. A person who looks at an avalon is usually looking for a luxury(old people) sedan. just my opinion. but if don't have too many kids and still want that sporty feel, go w/ the tsx. don't even think about accord.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well i'm 6'2" if not taller, so if you have legs you can't sit behind me in the tsx, the accord had some more leg room. thats no reason to buy the accord. and as far as resale value etc... i'm leasing it. i don't believe in buying cars. if i did i would only have each car about a year or less. i get bored real fast. i love my cl but i would have been out of it 1-2 years ago if i bought it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I bought mine, Acura couldn't come close to the Honda Accord lease rates, but I would recommend buying anyway. With the high resale, you will easily do better selling private party than letting Acura make the money from the lease. Like I said, I could sell mine today - 8 months later, and lose $1,000 at most - just do some good negotiating up front.

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
127 Posts
I also had to weigh out the pros and cons between the accord and the tsx.
My decision was based on

1) The accord's stlying looks so generic
2) The build quality seemed better in the acura (everthing seemed more tight and solid)
3) The accord that I drove (EX v6 leather) had really poor sound insulation ( road noise was markedly higher with the accord)
4) The acura felt like it was more fun to drive.

I actually was going to buy the infiniti G35x. The only reason I test drove the tsx and accord was to shut my wife up. I went into the test drive not wanting to like it but after a few minutes I was totally hooked. Its a great car

·
oh so so fresh
118 Posts
yofoofoo said:
Is TSX quieter than Accord during both cruising and acceleration?
yup, test drove both. Accord seems as though the engineers building the car forgot to put insulation in it. alot of road noise and engine noise, unlike the tsx.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I just got home from the dealership and believe or not that let me walk! All they had in stock was that awful artic blue. I told them to get me red and we'd talk. They couldn't promise me a red so I got up, and walked out. Oh well. Good thing I still have the current "Marcura" for a few more weeks.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts