Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey TSX owners, new here as you can see, im posting here becasue im thinking of buying a new car, i have a 2002 subaru now and looking to trade it in for either the TSX or the TL, now i know this isnt a TL club forum but you will see why im looking at the TL and the TSX. Im going to try to make this short and to the point but back in 2001 when i bought my subaru i got the 2.5 rs, not the WRX, in the beginning i really didnt mind driving it until i noticed the WRX made plenty of headlines while the RS just got no attention, many people always asked me why didnt you get the WRX, now the major difference is that the WRX has plenty more HP then the RS. I always told them that the WRX at the time was an extra $4,000-$5,000 more, and that just got you the extra HP and 6 CD changer. Now im looking at both the TSX and TL, i already know what color i want and that if i do get it its coming with NAVIGATION..now i priced both up at my local acura dealer, they wanted the TSX, automatic with navigation for $27,000, he quoted me on the TL with Automatic and navigation for $32,500..now this is a big difference in price but i know there is a big difference size, HP, speed, options, room etc, but what i do know again is that the TSX is in the right price range while the TL is a little bit out of my range...they are only giving me $11,500 for my trade in which i believe is alittle low and could probably get $12,000-$12,500 at another dealership....my friend was interested in one as well without navigation the price they offered was $24,700...only have been to one dealership so far, still have to call 2.....

if i do decide on the TSX im going for the Premium White Pearl with nav/auto the only problem is that the interior they offer is only Parchment Leather, what i did notice is that in Canada when you get the Premium White Pearl they offer the option of Ebony leather, wish i knew the reason but i dont.....

so if any TSX owners can help me out, it would be great, Thanks....

p.s, i notice how everyone on this board helps out everyone so well, keep up the good work

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
well I can tell you I've never had anyone ask me why didn't I get the tl if that helps.
Drive them both and see but if the tl really is out of your range get the tsx. I wouldn't want to be stuck with payments I couldn't handle then be forced to get rid of the the car anyway.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
In case it might help, here's a post I did about this on another thread:

larchmont said:
.....Full disclosure: I'm a TSX owner and fanatic, and only test-drove the TL. So I can't say I was objective about the TL, even though I really tried. Anyway, in our family of two here, we had a split decision. My wife picks the TL. I pick you-know-what. Since I'm the car expert, I'm obviously right. :confused:

The cars are quite similar in size, the TL being a little bigger. I consider them in the same size category, and it's a pretty exclusive category that includes only a few cars, kind of a "tweener" category -- bigger than the cars like the BMW 3-series, MB C-series, Volvo S40, Lexus IS300 etc., but smaller than the 5-series, S80, and ES330. Other cars in the same category are the Saab 9-3, the Jaguar X-type, the Infiniti G35, and the Volvo S60, which if anything is actually a tad smaller. The TSX actually has more height than any of the other cars mentioned (including the TL) except the G35 which is about the same. To me, size is the main factor determining the nature of the car, assuming it's cars of comparable basic quality, so these size-groupings are very useful guidelines for me. I know this isn't a common view. For example, most people regard the S40 as a better comp for the TSX than the S60, which I don't understand at all, but it is so.

The TL feels significantly bigger to me than the TSX, both for better and for worse. Except that I didn't notice much if any advantage in ride comfort. But the lady (in the passenger seat), maybe a more objective observer, feels the TL ride is far more comfortable. I think it may be a common experience about the TSX, that the driver likes the ride better than the passenger does. But it's not like anybody feels the ride sucks -- for a car of this category, the ride is probably at least average (and clearly better than most of those slightly-smaller cars which many people consider to be in the same category), and as you can see from the above list, it's a tough category. The ride has a feeling of great stability and solidity, maybe in part because of the relatively heavy rims and the relatively great weight in general (for a car of its size). You definitely feel bad bumps, like freeway expansion joints, but there's just one brief "bump," and then immediately you're right back where you want to be, like nothing happened. Since the TL is a bit bigger, I expected it might be a big improvement on those bad bumps, but to me, it's not; I thought there was little if any difference.

Both the TSX and the TL have fairly quiet rides, and the noise that you do hear is more like MUSIC! -- It's sweet. And the engine noise is very, very low. I recently rented a G35 for a few days. I thought it had considerably more engine noise than both the TSX and the TL.

You definitely become aware of the greater power of the TL as compared to the TSX. This makes a big difference to a lot of people, but very little difference to me. The TSX, while not a very powerful car, is more than adequate, and I do not find it lacking in the least, despite never having had a 4-cyl before (my 3 previous cars were BMW 320i, Acura Legend L, and Acura TL-S). People often say that it feels more powerful than it is. My TSX is the 5AT. The 6MT is a bit more powerful, but the AT is fine. And, oh, both of the transmissions get raves, especially the MT. No, especially both of them -- they're both considered extraordinary for what they are.

You definitely feel the greater interior room of the TL. But for me as a driver, the greater interior room oddly is a disadvantage. I love the snug feel of the TSX driver seat; by comparison, I'm just floating around in the TL seat. But the lady would kill to have that TL passenger seat over the TSX one. She says it's not just the larger size, it's the whole thing -- much more comfortable, better support, more leg room of course, and the power adjustment helps a lot. But I've never felt healthier (and stronger) than I do in the TSX seat. Very individual, of course. You gotta try it. About the rear seat, I don't really know, I basically don't go there, but people in general (and reviewers) tend to give the TSX high marks for a car of its size. The TL of course is bigger and better in this respect. (The main size difference between the cars is the unusually great WIDTH of the TL, which can help a lot on the rear seating.)

About the handling: A little hard to say either car is "better" or "worse," because they're different in the various aspects of handling. We often speak of "handling" as though it were a single thing, but it's not -- it's multifactorial. There's cornering, there's body roll or lack thereof, there's "tossability" and nimbleness.....so it's a matter of what aspects of handling you consider more important than others. I like the TSX better (as do most). The TSX scores a clear win on nimbleness, but I could see that some people might regard the TL's handling as better. Most people feel the TL has less body roll, but it's not unanimous; anyway both cars are real good on this. Also, something I've never seen written up by anybody else is the idea that seat-comfort gets involved in one's impression of handling. Of course it doesn't have anything to do with handling per se, but, "handling" ultimately is a subjective thing, and I know that when the seat has just the right feel, I have a better general sense of the car and I feel more confident and assertive -- and so it feels like the car handles better. I don't think I could totally separate this out from actual "handling."

If there were no TSX, there's no doubt that I'd be getting a TL. I regarded the TL-S as the best thing out there before there was a TSX, and the new TL is better than that. But I wouldn't trade my TSX even-up for a new TL. But that's no slam on the TL, because I don't think I'd trade the TSX even-up for any other car either.

P.S. Don't talk to my wife :D -- she'd trade the TSX for the TL in a heartbeat. The TL might be her next car, if not mine.
Good luck, 0405!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
I didn't get the TL because the new one wasn't out when I bought my TSX. But I've got other reasons too.. I love the interior of the TSX more than the TL. It's cleaner and it just looks awesome. But with the TL, you get memory seats, driver/pass auto seats and a few other extra ammenities. One thing I didn't like about the TL was that the rear seats don't fold down. The rear armrest has an opening for skis though, but I wanted fold down rear seats..and the TSX has it. The TSX definately has more room than a WRX, if you've sat in one before. THere's a few other reasons but it's late and I can't think right now...but definately test drive both cars... and see which you like better. HOpe that helps :)

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
I wouldn't have considered the TSX with the AT at all, the power is marginal by my standards (I'd consider 500hp "adequate" :) ) and about 20% of those 200 little Japanese ponies get lost in the torque converter. The TSX with the stick is a nice, nimble, reliable, fuel-efficient everyday grocery-getter. If I thought I really needed more power.... Gotta draw the line somewhere or I'll end up with an M5 or an E55 AMG that I can't even drive on a snowy day, which defeats the whole purpose of a "daily driver", doesn't it? "Less is more", at least sometimes. So I have a set of snow tires and the TSX is my "SUV".

Also, real estate or an education is one thing, but I'd never ever extend myself to buy something like a car.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
bob shiftright said:
Also, real estate or an education is one thing, but I'd never ever extend myself to buy something like a car.
I think this is a great point, but not a ubiquitous opinion 'round these parts (well, definitely a-tsx.com).

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bob shiftright said:
.....Also, real estate or an education is one thing, but I'd never ever extend myself to buy something like a car.
What JCG said.

I've always been pretty conservative about spending, including that I was slow to even get my first credit card. And the first thing I ever "extended" myself for (sort of) was a car.

But there's "extending" and then there's "EXTENDING." I don't think you should "EXTEND" yourself for anything, but if you ever do, it could be for education and maybe a house but it shouldn't be for a car.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
What JCG said.

I've always been pretty conservative about spending, including that I was slow to even get my first credit card. And the first thing I ever "extended" myself for (sort of) was a car.

But there's "extending" and then there's "EXTENDING." I don't think you should "EXTEND" yourself for anything, but if you ever do, it could be for education and maybe a house but it shouldn't be for a car.
Who said "Never invest in anything that needs feeding or repairs"?

If you think something will eventually be worth more than you paid for it, like an education, (or Trump Towers, if you're Donald Trump :) ) OK.... otherwise, the sheeple who "invest" in new cars that they "extend" themselves for are the ones who, in effect, pay for people like The Donald's custom Boeing 727. Then again, the OP may have $26k burning a hole in his checking account and simply be uncomfortable raising the ante another $6k. I don't know.

As I expressed elsewhere, :) the calculus that says that a TSX plus a state university education is a better investment than an "elite" college plus 4 years driving a rustbucket Volvo is one that I just don't understand.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
bob shiftright said:
......the calculus that says that a TSX plus a state university education is a better investment than an "elite" college plus 4 years driving a rustbucket Volvo is one that I just don't understand.
Yes.

But the calculus (that would be me :D ) that says a better car might be a better investment than some other things might be true.

Like maybe golf clubs. I remember when I was a kid first starting out, I was told that you should always get the most expensive clubs you can get.
(I don't think it was from a sporting goods salesman but I'm not sure. :D )
And I think he was right.
Except that at the time, the most expensive clubs I could get was the cheapest clubs I could get. :D

Anyway, an example: If you're in a job where you take out clients, "extending" yourself to get a better car could very well be a good "investment."

Another one: If you might want to keep your new car for a bunch of years, extending yourself to get a Honda rather than a Hyundai or Kia could very well be a good "investment."

Unless, of course, we accept the strictest definition of "investment."
In which case I could argue that stocks and bonds aren't investments either. :D

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Fist off, welcome to the community.

Both are great cars. You stated in your post that you regretted getting the RS over the WRX because of lack of HP and the headline grabbing attention. If HP and glamour is what's important to you, maybe the TL might be a better fit for you. The TL is about $4,000-$6,000 more expensive but it's got a lot more HP (270 vs 200) and gets more attention (partly because it's more of a volume vehicle) than the TSX.

But also keep in mind, going from an Impreza 2.5 RS to a TL might be an "awkward" transition. The TL is way bigger, significantly more HP, and seriously more luxurious than your previous car.

You owe yourself a test drive (or at least some time sitting inside both cars). Since both are Acuras, your salesman should be more than happy to give you time to compare both cars side by side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have a comparison between the TSX headlights and the '04 TL headlights? (low beam only) I was wondering, since I work for a lighting company as my day job, whether anyone has test drove both in the dark, or owned both cars whether there is much difference in the light output, beam pattern, etc.?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Master47 said:
Does anyone have a comparison between the TSX headlights and the '04 TL headlights? (low beam only) I was wondering, since I work for a lighting company as my day job, whether anyone has test drove both in the dark, or owned both cars whether there is much difference in the light output, beam pattern, etc.?
I have owned both, and to my naked eye, they appear to be the same :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I only drove the TL during daylight, but I can tell you this: I consider the TSX's low-beam headlights to be the weakest thing about the car. I don't know if the TL is any different.

For what it's worth: My previous car was the TL-S, which I thought had THE BEST low beams I've ever had.

FYI most people disagree with me about the TSX's lights -- they think the lights are great. :donno:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Joker said:
I have owned both, and to my naked eye, they appear to be the same :thumbsup:
I would think that Joker must be one of the world's foremost authorities on this subject.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
larchmont said:
I consider the TSX's low-beam headlights to be the weakest thing about the car.
Wow! I never thought I'd hear this about the TSX's headlights :eek:
Joker - who is very impressed with the headlights :thumbsup:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Joker said:
Wow! I never thought I'd hear this about the TSX's headlights :eek:
Joker - who is very impressed with the headlights :thumbsup:
BTW, in case anyone had any doubt, I was serious about what I said about Joker being the #1 authority. He's one of the few people who has owned both cars.

As I said, I know I'm in a small minority about the TSX headlights. There have been negative comments from others, including in some reviews. But nobody seems to dislike them as much as I do.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
104 Posts
Two Different Classes

If you are trying to choose between these two cars, then you are trying to pick from to different classes. I reccomend that you figure out what you want from a car first. First pick a class then look at the cars in that class.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sublime3sixteen said:
If you are trying to choose between these two cars, then you are trying to pick from to different classes. I reccomend that you figure out what you want from a car first. First pick a class then look at the cars in that class.
Actually (as I said above).....I think that not only are they in the same class, they're two of the VERY FEW cars that are in this class. But I know that a lot of people disagree -- i.e. they agree with sublime.

I find it a very interesting question -- what is it that most defines a car's "class"? To me, the answer is very clear: SIZE, first and foremost. Most other people seem to feel otherwise. It seems that to most people, the main single answer is probably COST. For example, that's the only way -- the onliest way -- that I can understand why it is that most people think the S40 is the Volvo that's the closest to the TSX, when you've got another one (the S60) that seems like not only a closer comp to the TSX, but arguably THE CLOSEST comp that exists -- except for price.

·
Registered
48 Posts
larchmont said:
What JCG said.

Here's my take and take it for what it's worth.

I went to the dealership on 26 March 04 with the intention of buying a TL. I, too, am a horsepower freak. And I loved the looks of the car (and the XM radio which I have already harped on too much here). I also liked the size. Having driven a Taurus SHO for the last 10 years (92, 94, 96, 97, and 98 models), I liked the big (well, sorta) V-8 and roomy back seat. Then, the dealer pointed me at both cars and I dove them.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the interior. The TL has all of these things that seemed unecessary to me. A power passenger seat, to me, is something I'll never use, who why pay for it? The extra power seemed good at first look, but I thought back and remembered that I rarely ever used it in the SHO. In fact, when I did I got in trouble. I finally decided I wanted enough power to be sporty, but handling was more important. The TL's handling was good, but I sensed what I sensed in the 98 SHO. It was a big car and even though you were handling just as well, it didn't seem like you were.

Speaking of seats, I thought the SHO had really comfortable seats. Just like your grandfather's La-Z-Boy. The earlier generation 1 and 2 seats were really performance seats, but the 96-99 SHO's had those nice soft leather seats that gave very poor lateral support. I got the same feeling in the TL (though less so). Let it be known that I am not a youngster. I had my 55th birthday in November, and nothing irritates me more than squishy seats. If I wanted that I'd buy a Lincoln or a Cadillac.

Speaking of power (again), and gas mileage (for the first time), I had to consider the TSX because it was a four cylinder, but an amazing four banger. MY V-8 SHO (and the TL one of my neighbors owns) simply suck gas around town. My SHO got around 17 MPG in town and my buddy's TL gets a little less than that. All the time having 270 HP is nice, but he doesn't drag race too many people anyway--to many law enforcement officers for that. I get around 24 in town and have reached 32 on a 300 mikle trip. At over $2 a gallon, I figure I saved nearly $10. It's not much, but I'm not in favor of throwing money away. On the day of my test drive I did a stupid thing...normal behavior for me, I guess. In trying to merge into traffic on I-81, I seemed to have pulled out in front of a semi. I kicked the engine down and immediately lunged forward in what seemed to me very good time. So good , the speedometer read 90. That sold me. And with little or no obnoxious noise. Nice.

So, that's it in a nutshell. I compared both cars (and I could afford either of them--price was not the object in this case--I paid $30K for the Taurus 6 years ago), but I began to doubt what the extra $6K was going for and had to justify it. I couldn't. The TSX had the luxury, the quietness (which my dentist buddy swears is quieter than his Caddy), the little details, and surprising power. Drive both and make your decison because either way, it won't be bad. But, for me the TSX was the answer for what I needed.

Oh, and BTW, I took the extra six large and bought a plasma TV and added a sunroom on my house. It all in your priorities, I guess. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
larchmont said:
Actually (as I said above).....I think that not only are they in the same class, they're two of the VERY FEW cars that are in this class. But I know that a lot of people disagree -- i.e. they agree with sublime.

I find it a very interesting question -- what is it that most defines a car's "class"? To me, the answer is very clear: SIZE, first and foremost. Most other people seem to feel otherwise. It seems that to most people, the main single answer is probably COST. For example, that's the only way -- the onliest way -- that I can understand why it is that most people think the S40 is the Volvo that's the closest to the TSX, when you've got another one (the S60) that seems like not only a closer comp to the TSX, but arguably THE CLOSEST comp that exists -- except for price.
Larchmont:

Most folks look at price as the defining characteristic as to whether you get prestige or not from owning a car. It ain't so. The only thing that anyone has ever critisized me for in owning the TSX is that it was "too small," or a "girl's car." May folks ask me if it's a TL and many more ask which Honda I'm driving. I could care less. I was shocked to find that my former SHO was only 2 cubic feet less in size than the TSX. And believe me, I don't know the difference. Acuras get no respect in the yuppie world of luxury cars anyway. To get that you have to have a BMW, Lexus, or Audi, anyway. And Volvo just doesn't even compute. I challenge any driver of those brands to compare back seats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts