Acura TSX Forum banner

TSX or TL

4K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  BB1_VTEC 
#1 ·
Has anyone test drive Acura TL and TSX? Would you have, would you post your impression of both cars?

I have my eyes set on getting red TSX, but 2003 TL seems to be very good value (especially with discounts you can get from dealers).

#2 ·
i like both cars and could see how you have a tough decision to make...

i guess it comes down to sho vs go
tsx is better lookin to me... and image wise has a younger look to it.. and is also really fine tuned.. interrior wise...

tl is obvioulsy more powerful... and it is also the last year for this body style.. so you probably get a deal...

umm... anyone else jump in here ;)

oh yeah by the way i have driven both... i perfer the tsx.. cuz of cost, and just looks overall

#8 ·
Drive a TYPE S TL (or preferably a TYPE S CL 6 speed)

Take it out on the OPEN road.

Then do the same with the TSX.

The difference in power will be significant enough such that you will be able to answer your own question. (The TYPE S CL/TL are MUCH faster cars!)

And the difference in fuel mileage is essentially moot.

#10 ·
dmghent said:
Just a note...my Mom's 2001 RL also had a tranny problem after about 20,000 miles, however it was fully warranteed and replaced without any hassle.
LOTS of Hondas have auto tranny problems. I've seen many new/late model Accords sitting in the local dealer garage with the tranny yanked out of them.

Some people talk about these cars as though they are perfect and never break. They're not and they do. :eek:

#11 ·
I drove both (not TL type S) and thought the TSX had a sportier feel, TL felt softer, although it did accelerate better. I like the styling of the TSX better. I didn't have to think real hard between the two though, because the TL did not have enough headroom for me (I'm 6'3").

#12 ·
sponge said:
I drove both (not TL type S) and thought the TSX had a sportier feel, TL felt softer, although it did accelerate better. I like the styling of the TSX better. I didn't have to think real hard between the two though, because the TL did not have enough headroom for me (I'm 6'3").
The standard TL (which competes with the Lexus ES300) is too soft a car to compare with the TSX. You'd have to drive the TYPE S version of the TL/CL to appreciate it. The TYPE S is also significantly faster than the base TL (260 vs 225 HP). Despite its advantages, the price gap between the TYPE S and the standard car is essentially negligible.

#16 ·
I test drove both the TL Type-S and the TSX. The TL is a very nice car, but it felt somewhat bland and generic. The TSX was something totally different. I immediately was impressed with the tightness of the suspension, acceleration, and shifting. Interior was much more aesthetically pleasing. Beautiful dashboard, 360 watt eight speaker system, my body was glued to the front bucket seats in tight turns. It felt so much like a sports car.

For me, it was not a difficult choice. My TSX will arrive in mid-July.

:D :D

#17 · (Edited)
Maurice said:
I test drove both the TL Type-S and the TSX. The TL is a very nice car, but it felt somewhat bland and generic. The TSX was something totally different. I immediately was impressed with the tightness of the suspension, acceleration, and shifting. Interior was much more aesthetically pleasing. Beautiful dashboard, 360 watt eight speaker system, my body was glued to the front bucket seats in tight turns. It felt so much like a sports car.

For me, it was not a difficult choice. My TSX will arrive in mid-July.

:D :D
The TL Type S will BLOW THE DOORS off the TSX!

So how could you be "impressed" by the acceleration of the TSX?:confused:

#18 ·
I never said that the TSX could out accelerate the TL Type-S. 60 more horsepower is noticable, eventhough the TL weights 300 pounds more.

I only said that I was impressed, specifically on how linear the TSX accelerated. Probably due to the variable valve timing and the lift electronic control. At 2000 rpm, the engine is already cranking 90% of it's torque(140 lbs-ft), peak torque is reached at 4600 (166 lbs-ft), and stays at that level until 7000, before beginning to drop at redline(7100)

#19 · (Edited)
Maurice said:
I never said that the TSX could out accelerate the TL Type-S. 60 more horsepower is noticable, eventhough the TL weights 300 pounds more.

I only said that I was impressed, specifically on how linear the TSX accelerated. Probably due to the variable valve timing and the lift electronic control. At 2000 rpm, the engine is already 90% of it's torque(140 lbs-ft), peak torque is reached at 4600 (166 lbs-ft), and stays at that level until 7000, before beginning to drop at redline(7100)
The CL/TL type S have a LOT more TORQUE (232 LB-FT) than the TSX! And they make 30% more PEAK POWER, even though they're just ~ 8% heavier.

Wow! 140 - 166 lb-ft of Torque! In a 3,230 - 3,329 (auto with nav) pound car! Man, that's a real stump ripper!!!! :rolleyes:

My LS1 Z28 (which weighs about THE SAME as the TSX auto/nav) makes more torque than that at IDLE (and 350 LB-FT PEAK) and it still gets almost the same gas mileage (19 city/28 highway)! It also makes nearly TWICE the drive wheel HP!

A 4 cylinder Accord makes 161 lb-ft (just 5 lb-ft less) and just 30 less DRIVEWHEEL HP than the TSX. Additionally, it's ~ 200 pounds LIGHTER than the TSX and it's EPA rated @ 26 city/34 highway on REGULAR unleaded. And in the REAL WORLD, it's about as fast as the TSX.

Spend ~ $500 on a "cat back" exhaust for the Accord and it probably IS as fast as the TSX.:D

Want to be IMPRESSED by the acceleration of a 4 cylinder, fwd, 4 door sedan? Try one of these:

#21 ·
TeC said:
I think we're starting to get into the "nobody cares" zone again.
"Nobody cares" that the 4 cylinder/5 speed EX/L Accord gets 26/34 (on regular unleaded) while the SIX (6) speed TSX gets just 21/29 (on PREMIUM unleaded)?:confused:

Jesus, my ~ 340 HP Z28 is rated @ 19 city/28 highway. The TSX 6 speed is far closer in MPG to my Z28, yet it's far closer in HP to the 4 cylinder Accord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The TSX should get BETTER mileagethan the Accord because it's a mere 183 pounds heavier, has an extra gear, a higher compression ratio, a lower restriction exhaust system and "tuned" intake runners. ALL of those things INCREASE the efficiency of the TSX engine!

Even the 6 speed manual, V6 Accord better the TSX on highway mileage, despite the fact that it makes 20% more power and a LOT more torque!

Let's face it, even by Honda's OWN STANDARDS, the TSX 6 speed fuel mileage SUCKS.
:p

#23 ·
cyco-lic-no said:
Im thinking about gettin a tsx or a tl... anymore thoughts on this?
I considered purchasing TL before I bough TSX. TL also has good list of standard features, bigger engine, and, most importantly, it can be bought at a steep discount.

I personally liked the look and feel of TSX. I also liked the way TSX drive much better than TL. I enjoy driving TSX a lot.

Have you test drive them, yet? If you haven't, you should.

#24 ·
cyco-lic-no said:
Im thinking about gettin a tsx or a tl... anymore thoughts on this?
I've test driven the TL Type S, but not the TSX yet. Here are my impressions....

The TL is defintely more powerful, but the suspension and interior subdue the feeling giving it a more luxury ride.

The TL is also bigger than the TSX... longer and wider. That's a plus if you're looking for more interior space, but a minus if you like a compact car.

The TLs handling isn't quite up to par with the TSX.

The TL only comes with an automatic. The autoshift feature is worthless if you ask me (on any car).... doesn't even come close to using a real manual tranny. More of a gimmick than anything else.

Since the TL is being replaced by a new model, you can definitely get decent discounts on it.

If I were you, I'd test drive both. If you still cannot decide, start pricing both out... and see how much price difference there is between the two. With the discounts, you might be surprised how little there is between the two cars. Also, check into insurance on both cars... although I'm sure they will be very similar.

Think about what's important to you as well. Acceleration? Handling? Interior space? Trunk space? Size?

After that, you should be able to decide between the two cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.