Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still haven't test drove one yet but will soon.

5spd Auto owners; how nice is the sport shifting...close to 6spd feel?

What is redline on them?

The best quote I received so far online is $27,535 (W/ NAVI) and maybe up to $500 more off that (don't ask...we shall see).

Lastly, anybody AutoX their TSX yet? If so, please tell me more i.e. like what class and how it did...etc.

TIA! :)

·
Orangeblood
136 Posts
I have a 6MT, the sport shift is just a way to shift the auto, gives a bit more control, but you still have a slushbox when it's said and done.

So I think the answer is no.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
The sequence of events in my case was that I first drove the six-speed, then bought stock in Honda Motor Co., Ltd., and only THEN bought the car.

The TSX 6-speed is a VERY slick transmission.

The BMW SMG and the computer-controlled manual gearbox that Ferrari offers might compare. But otherwise the "manu-matics" are just sophisticated automatic transmissions.

As for the TSX with AT, I woulda bought an Accord EXL-V6 sedan instead. It's cheaper and faster, at least until you get to the first corner.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
I would have thought you'd be buying the 6-speed JP :donno:
Joker - who thinks you should test drive both ;)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joker said:
I would have thought you'd be buying the 6-speed JP :donno:
Joker - who thinks you should test drive both ;)
Yeah, I'm leaning strongly toward the 6spd but trying to justify the 5spd auto, since my wife can't drive a manual & the auto gets better gas mileage. Interesting that the auto has higher gearing, thus better gas mileage.

The 6spd will suit my driving style best since I will be driving it 95% of the time and I plan to do some AutoX events with it.

Greg, how is that Mugen suspension working out?

BTW, I'm leaning toward CGP or NBP for exterior colors...maybe MR or PWP. :)

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
HondaMan said:
Greg, how is that Mugen suspension working out?
I can't say enough good things about it :D
Joker - who will like the Mugen suspension even more after he gets his LSD installed, and gets some real tires :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I finally test drove a TSX 6spd tonight and it is awesome! I can't wait to get it.

I'm not totally sold on what color I should get. Here are my top 4 colors: 1. Black 2. White 3. Red 4. Carbon Gray

What do y'all think? Also, please tell some more how great he NAVI unit is. I'm not totally sold on it, but would like to have it. Lastly, does the black interior get hot...as in hot to the touch when you get in the car after it has sat in the hot summer sun all day? I guess the perforated leather helps keep it cool.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
HondaMan said:
Well, I finally test drove a TSX 6spd tonight and it is awesome! I can't wait to get it.

I'm not totally sold on what color I should get. Here are my top 4 colors: 1. Black 2. White 3. Red 4. Carbon Gray

What do y'all think? Also, please tell some more how great he NAVI unit is. I'm not totally sold on it, but would like to have it. Lastly, does the black interior get hot...as in hot to the touch when you get in the car after it has sat in the hot summer sun all day? I guess the perforated leather helps keep it cool.
Well...choosing an interior color will help limit to what exterior colors you want. If it were my choice, I'd get the Carbon Gray with ebony interior out of your color choices. (I really like the ebony interior) A white/ebony combo would be awesome if it was ever offered..

As far as the navi goes, I don't have one but sometimes I wish I did. I've ridden in one with navi and I think its neat to see where you're going and to have it there just in case. And Honda/Acura's got the best one out there from what I've heard. If you get it, you'll get your use out of it...whether it'll be used to get you somewhere, to tell it to change the volume, or just for it's coolness factor.

I've got ebony interior and I don't really notice the heat after it's been sitting for a while...so it's either not bad or I'm just oblivious of the temp.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I can't wait till you get it too!

Actually, this is all pretty easy, I think.

Colors: Your list is probably the most varied, wide-ranging little list there's ever been. Which seems to mean that you'll be happy with ANY of them, especially as soon as it becomes "your car." :nod:

The black interior (which I have) does make a difference, but somehow I've never noticed it. I know it makes a difference, first of all because the lady tells me it does, and also on these sites we see people mention it sometimes. BUT.... I don't recall that anybody ever mentioned it as a "Problem" -- it's been more of a theoretical, "yes-it's-true" sort of thing, rather than a complaint, and I'm pretty sure it's never been anything close to a regret.

And about the Nav: That's the easiest one of all. The TSX Nav has its little problems, but it's great, and maybe the BEST Nav out there. I think the rule-of-thumb is: ANYONE WHO HAS EVEN HALF A MIND TO GET IT, AND WHO CAN SPEND THE MONEY, SHOULD GET IT. And it seems like you're clearly over that bar.

Good luck, congrats in advance -- and keep us posted!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I will certainly go with NAVI and leaning toward NBP with either ebony or parchment interior. It will probably be about 2 weeks till I get mods sold off my EP3 and have it ready to trade-in or not depending on their trade offer.

BTW, that 6spd is the slickest/smoothest stick I have ever driven...I was really impressed! :)

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
HondaMan said:
Well, I will certainly go with NAVI and leaning toward NBP with either ebony or parchment interior. It will probably be about 2 weeks till I get mods sold off my EP3 and have it ready to trade-in or not depending on their trade offer.

BTW, that 6spd is the slickest/smoothest stick I have ever driven...I was really impressed! :)
Great!

You live in Georgia... I'd get the parchment interior. Mine is NBP/parchment, and doesn't get nearly as hot as our Passat with a grey leather interior. I'm sure there are other factors involved, but I think the interior color is important. It's also nice that you can lower the windows in the parking lot as you're getting off the train, walking to your hot car after work :)

Lots of TSXers seem to dislike the parchment interior, but that's only because they're dumb :slap: ;)

edit: to your original question - the TSX has a great SS mode, but get the 6MT if you're even thinking about it. I have a Mazda3 as my rental now, and it's SS mode sucks compared to the TSX.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jcg878 said:
Great!

You live in Georgia... I'd get the parchment interior. Mine is NBP/parchment, and doesn't get nearly as hot as our Passat with a grey leather interior. I'm sure there are other factors involved, but I think the interior color is important. It's also nice that you can lower the windows in the parking lot as you're getting off the train, walking to your hot car after work :)

Lots of TSXers seem to dislike the parchment interior, but that's only because they're dumb :slap: ;)

edit: to your original question - the TSX has a great SS mode, but get the 6MT if you're even thinking about it. I have a Mazda3 as my rental now, and it's SS mode sucks compared to the TSX.
Yeah, I can't decide. How hot the interiors get is important where we live and parchment should be cooler during our HOT summers. That alone is almost reason to get the parchment. I think I will just get whatever they have in stock, but leaning toward parchment now. :gapteeth:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joker said:
Joker thinks you should get ebony, and tint your windows ;) :D
Yeah, tinting would be a must with ebony...I plan to do that either way since it will be NBP. ;)

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
larchmont said:
I can't wait till you get it too!

Actually, this is all pretty easy, I think.

Colors: Your list is probably the most varied, wide-ranging little list there's ever been. Which seems to mean that you'll be happy with ANY of them, especially as soon as it becomes "your car." :nod:

The black interior (which I have) does make a difference, but somehow I've never noticed it. I know it makes a difference, first of all because the lady tells me it does, and also on these sites we see people mention it sometimes. BUT.... I don't recall that anybody ever mentioned it as a "Problem" -- it's been more of a theoretical, "yes-it's-true" sort of thing, rather than a complaint, and I'm pretty sure it's never been anything close to a regret.

And about the Nav: That's the easiest one of all. The TSX Nav has its little problems, but it's great, and maybe the BEST Nav out there. I think the rule-of-thumb is: ANYONE WHO HAS EVEN HALF A MIND TO GET IT, AND WHO CAN SPEND THE MONEY, SHOULD GET IT. And it seems like you're clearly over that bar.

Good luck, congrats in advance -- and keep us posted!
Last time I was in the tropics I noticed that almost all of the cars were light colors, particularly white.

Since white reflects the most light it is physically the coolest color.

Another reason I've been buying white cars for years is that some years ago Mercedes published a study of car colors and determined that white was the most visible solid color under most weather conditions. Again, because it reflects the most light. This is obviously not an issue if your car is the only car on the road or you think your car is the only car on the road but I want to be as visible as possible to the drumthwacket in the 6000 pound SUV who's yammering on her cell phone or screaming at her kiddies.

As for the Navi, it adds an additional step to the controls. Not as bad as iDrive to be sure but I find controls that are unnecessarily complicated to be distracting from my primary task in a motorcar. Driving.

Also, since I normally drive a car until the doors fall off, I thought that a dead, black navi screen in the middle of the dashboard would be more of a deal-killer than a deal-maker with the final owner.

This won't be a problem if you don't keep your cars. :)

Along with thoughts about uncomplicated controls, you'll need to get your order in quick before the Borg assimilate BMW completely and incorporate the iDrive into the new E90 3-Series! I haven't seen any interior shots on the E90 but the new M2 has the stupid dial in the middle of the console, so it's a good bet that the E90 will, too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts