Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I searched for my starter and can't find the thing. (My car won't start but seems to have full juice, ie: lights on etc., won't crank at all. No noise. No previous problems, assuming it's the starter)

Can anyone give me a detailed description of where I can find the thing? A pic would be sweet, I'm absolutely engine illiterate, though I could probably show you my airbox and my dip stick. :p

I can't get underneath the car unless I jack it up and it's currently somewhere around -30 C in Alberta so if I can get a good whack at it from above that'd be sweet.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Maybe it's the battery? Try jump starting it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it's the battery? Try jump starting it
It's not. "Full juice. All lights come on etc.".... that and I tried that first. I didn't even get a sound of crank when I tried to start it this morning, and I'd get at least that (AFAIK) if it was anything but the starter.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Toronto
782 Posts
I doubt it'll be the starter. Starter problems usually start by giving signs of slow cranking.

Could be the alternator. Did you check all of your fuses?

Make sure your car is in park before you try and start it. I made that dumb mistake one or two times. lol

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
It's not. "Full juice. All lights come on etc.".... that and I tried that first. I didn't even get a sound of crank when I tried to start it this morning, and I'd get at least that (AFAIK) if it was anything but the starter.
I had "full juice" too before. Lights would come on and everything but car wouldn't start. Had my brother jumped my car and it started fine. Doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay. So whacking the starter did nothing. (Thanks for the explanation). Is it likely my starter just died on me or is there maybe something I'm overlooking?

2005 TSX (MT)

- Clutch is full pushed in (so don't think it's the sensor).
- I have full interior lights and sound so don't think it's the battery.
- Boosting did nothing.
- No crank at all. Not a sound.

= Starter?

I haven't checked my fuses. I'll shoot out and do that now.

Checked fuses. They're good. Guess I'll get it towed in tomorrow.

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
2005 TSX (MT)
Try push starting (toe-starting) the car. Since you have a manual, you just need to push the car a little, hop in, and toe-start the car. The moving wheels should then be able to start the engine (which is something your starter normally would do). I have toe-started my car by rolling it only a couple of feet on my own.

As for what is causing the issue, I would have first suspected the battery (like everyone else has). When I toe-started by car, it was because I had my key set at the 2nd position while I was installing my rear view camera. I guess in the 20 or so minutes it took me to adjust the camera just right, I lost enough power to not be able to start the car. I still had lights, radio, etc, but my car wouldn't even crank. I figured I'd try to toe-start the car, and my car roared back to life. I haven't had an issue since then.

How hard did you whack the starter? If your battery is fine, maybe you should try to hit it a little harder. I remember some people hitting their starters pretty hard.

I doubt it's the alternator since it only comes into play when then engine is already on. The battery is there mostly to provide power until the engine starts running and the alternator starts working. That's why it's possible to disconnect a battery while the engine is running and not have it die.

By the way, in case you haven't toe-started a manual transmission car before, just put your car in neutral, push it forward a little, hop in, push the clutch in, put the gear in 1st or 2nd, release the clutch, and then press the clutch back in as soon as the engine starts. If you're on an incline, you can just let gravity do the pushing/pulling.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
do you hear clicking? there should be two different "clicks" the relay, and the starter pin pushing out. if you hear the pin pushing out your battery is bad

·
Registered
317 Posts
If everything else works, it is the Starter. If you don't hear the starter trying to engage the engine or any noise coming from the starter that means you may need to replace it. GL.

·
Tha Brown Mamba
29 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me couple months back. When I turned the key I didn't hear any clicking, but I heard what sounded like a fan was turning. I bought a starter and had a mechanic install it and it worked fine after that. It had me worried though because it happened a couple days after I had my pullies installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TSX Starter Motor Replacement

I had the same problem with my TSX, and today it just wouldn't even turn over. Here's some instructions on how to do it, but only if you have a decent amount of experience working on cars. It's definitely NOT A BEGINNER JOB.

First, disconnect the negative battery cable, then you remove the airbox connecting tube connected at the throttle body. You then have to remove two bolts and two nuts from the throttle body (TB) and remove it from the intake manifold. There are several electrical connections on the throttle body and the intake manifold that you have to remove. There is a coolant line connected to the TB that will continually leak when you remove it on the backside of the throttle body, so I used the back dull side of a drill bit which kept it from leaking more. If you remove this, you can access the lower intake manifold support bolt so you don't even have to get under the vehicle to access it. Then there are three bolts and two nuts holding the intake manifold on. Be careful when removing the manifold as there is one electrical connector going to the engine block, I think it's a knock sensor, that breaks rather easily, so don't force anything when removing it. Remove the radiator overflow tank with the two bolts, this will make it easier to remove the lower bolt of the starter motor. Most of the bolts are either 10mm or 12mm in size, except for the lower bolt on the starter motor is a 17 mm and the longer rear one is a 15 mm. Make sure to reconnect all the bolts and electrical connections, and refill the radiator if you spill any. This took me about 4 hours, but this was definitely one of the more difficult repairs I've had to do. It's not for the novice, so don't try this if it's your first starter motor repair.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How I tested my bad starter was I ran a wire from the positive lead of the starter to the positive pole of the battery. Did not start. If you only remove the first half of the intake manifold (the portion not connected to the head) you can still access the starter bolts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts