Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The "360 watt" rating is a PEAK power rating and not a "continuous" (RMS) power rating.

The speakers are lower level Pioneers and are made in China.

Here's what's printed on the back of the rear deck speakers:

"Max Continuous Power Handling 30w".

The speakers would have to be able to handle 60 W continuous if the system were a TRUE (RMS) 360 watt system.
:eek:

In terms of REAL ratings, it's a 180 watt (RMS) system.

·
Registered
36 Posts
dude who the hell are you? why dont you go and pick on someone else's car? all i care about is that the TSX is a great car for me and a lot of the people on the site. why dont you go to an accord lovers site and leave us alone or. I think you should be banned. Anyone esle agree with me?

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Equ222 said:
dude who the hell are you? why dont you go and pick on someone else's car? all i care about is that the TSX is a great car for me and a lot of the people on the site. why dont you go to an accord lovers site and leave us alone or. I think you should be banned. Anyone esle agree with me?
Can't you handle THE TRUTH?:confused:

An OPEN SOCIETY should WELCOME the truth. CLOSED/tyrannical societies CENSOR the truth. Which would you rather live in?

Look @ the bottom of your speakers in your rear deck (via the trunk)...

What does it say on the bottom? Try using "30 watt max continuous" speakers in a REAL 360 watt (RMS) stereo system and they'll fry like eggs on a red-hot griddle.:eek:

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
sublime3sixteen said:
Oh and if it's not a 360 Watt Stereo where the hell did they get that number from? And if they just managed to pull it out of there ass, that's false advertisment buddy. :)
It's 360 PEAK watts @ a high level of distortion.

It is NOT 360 CONTINUOUS (RMS) watts @ a low level of distortion and no-where does Acura claim that it is. People like you just ASSUME that it is because you're not educted enough on the subject to know the difference.

My "Monsoon" stereo was advertised as a "300 watt" stereo. That's also a BS "peak" rating that has little to do with reality. The difference is that I knew that when I bought it.

Acura is using 30 watt max "continuous" speakers in the car...That says it all right there.

REAL stereos are rated per the example below:

100 watts per channel RMS @ .05% THD

That means 100 CLEAN watts (just .05% distortion) per speaker.

Want to LEARN about the OEM TSX stereo:

Go to:
(substitute a "u" for the "*")

http://www.cl*btsx.com/bbs/engine/forum/51.html

Here's a preview:

"Posted by: fcaron

I test drive Acura TSX yesterday April 18th and I am too really dissapointed with the sounds system.

I checked in the TSX trunk and saw the 6x9 brand. These speakers are Pioneer speakers rated max 40W, nominal(RMS) 20W. It's written on the speaker magnet, everybody can see that.

So my guess is that all those speakers are low quality Pioneer stuff. The 360W system that Acura uses is actually made of two 4*45W standard amps found in regular audio dash units.

Then I went road test. I won't comment here on the driving impression (positive) but while testing sound, I made sure to use all the flat ajustements, except for the fader ajustement which I set +1 to the rear seats.

Overall, the sound system is an ok system, but nothing impressive. Not a lot of bass, vibration is early present in doors when you add a bit of bass. I played jazz fusion and Massive Attack. I concluded that this audio system is not the one I anticipated. The RSX Bose system is way better!!!!!

Those of you who don't care about audio quality and presence will be satisfied with the proposed audio system in the TSX. That one is not for me, I will certainly change speakers and add amp if I finally choose the TSX.

Cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: Splashman24

You have confirmed what I have posted earlier. For a "premium" system it sounds horrible. I have a TSX on order. When it arrives in May, I too will have to make changes. I'm almost 40 so I am not interested in a loud booming system. I want a clean sound with the appropriate low end."

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sublime3sixteen said:
Oh and if it's not a 360 Watt Stereo where the hell did they get that number from? And if they just managed to pull it out of there ass, that's false advertisment buddy. :)
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/education/amplifiers/power-ratings.htm

"RMS

Which stands for Root Mean Square, the only reasonably accurate, consistent, comparative measurement of power exchange that should be used for both amplifiers and speakers. RMS is an average of the power transfer between a generator and normative load that is obtained by measuring the AC power with the formula P=EI cosine Ø where cos. Ø is the power factor.

Generally( but not always), RMS is half or less of the value usually attributed to alternative methods such as:
Peak power
Max power
IPP - Instantaneous Peak Power
PMPO - Peak Music Power Output
and other measurement schemes, that while having a nebulous mathematical consistency, are still little more than schemes to create higher numbers to increase sales. Be wary! ...very wary.

Many manufacturers provide specifications without mentioning what kind of watts are being measured. Again, be wary; this almost always means that those are not RMS watts, and the actual power is half or less than the number indicated."

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ssmtsx said:
I looked at my speakers and they both say 40Watts.
PEAK - NOT RMS/continuous.

What to they say for CONTINUOUS?

ANSWER:

Go to:
(substitute a "u" for the "*")

http://www.cl*btsx.com/bbs/engine/forum/51.html

I test drove Acura TSX yesterday April 18th and I am too really dissapointed with the sounds system.

I checked in the TSX trunk and saw the 6x9 brand. These speakers are Pioneer speakers rated max 40W, nominal(RMS) 20W. It's written on the speaker magnet, everybody can see that. "

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ssmtsx said:
I couldn't find "continous" I'll go look again in a few minutes.

I test drove Acura TSX yesterday April 18th and I am too really dissapointed with the sounds system.

I checked in the TSX trunk and saw the 6x9 brand. These speakers are Pioneer speakers rated max 40W, nominal(RMS) 20W. It's written on the speaker magnet, everybody can see that. "

·
Registered
7 Posts
harddrivin1le: The point you are making is true. I don't own a TSX yet, but I'm sure it isn't 360 watts RMS. The only thing your not pointing out is every audio mfg. ( especially head units ) use maxium power. Is a Alpine,Eclipse,Clarion,Sony Moble ES, Kenwood, and Pioneer cheap? They all may say 45 x 4 on the head unit but RMS they are only about 18 x 4. RMS and maxium power are two different scales of measurement. Like inches and feet.And as far as THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) do you think any factory radio is even below 1% at its given RMS? I don't think so. Every car manufacture rates there radio's on this bullshit scale, so what is your point? If you plan on having a great sounding system, you may have to consider a after- market stereo.
Does the stereo in a Impala sound any better?

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
brentd1 said:
harddrivin1le: The point you are making is true. I don't own a TSX yet, but I'm sure it isn't 360 watts RMS. The only thing your not pointing out is every audio mfg. ( especially head units ) use maxium power. Is a Alpine,Eclipse,Clarion,Sony Moble ES, Kenwood, and Pioneer cheap? They all may say 45 x 4 on the head unit but RMS they are only about 18 x 4. RMS and maxium power are two different scales of measurement. Like inches and feet.And as far as THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) do you think any factory radio is even below 1% at its given RMS? I don't think so. Every car manufacture rates there radio's on this bullshit scale, so what is your point? If you plan on having a great sounding system, you may have to consider a after- market stereo.
Does the stereo in a Impala sound any better?
NO, "EVERY" audio mfg DOES NOT use "maximum power" ratings. In fact, nearly ALL of the names you mentioned use RMS ratings!:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-xvYyFKUuxr0/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&s=0&g=300&cc=01&avf=N

EXAMPLES:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...=0&c=3&g=300&I=113KDC3022&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...=0&c=3&g=300&I=023PASADEN&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

And any AMPLIFIER that's worth its own weight in sand is rated per an "RMS @ THD" method.

EXAMPLE:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...=0&c=3&g=120&I=113KAC8401&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Now, which amp do you think makes more REAL power. The "240 watt" Kenwood unit posted above or the "360 watt" piece of crap that comes in the TSX?

BTW:

The ONLY reason I posted the Impala is to demonstrate the RELATIVE EFFICIENCY of its "inefficient" pushrod/2 valve/iron head engine.
:eek::rolleyes:

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sublime3sixteen said:
Did you pal check everyother speaker too besides the back ones? I dont think so. :)
The rears are THE WOOFERS.

They require MORE POWER than any other type of driver. Yet, they are rated @ 20 watts NOMINAL and 40 watts PEAK.

The OEM stereo is VERY MEDIOCRE relative to what could be bought in the aftermarket for less than $900.

·
Registered
7 Posts
harddrivin1le said:
NO, "EVERY" audio mfg DOES NOT use "maximum power" ratings. In fact, nearly ALL of the names you mentioned use RMS ratings!:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-xvYyFKUuxr0/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&s=0&g=300&cc=01&avf=N

EXAMPLES:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...=0&c=3&g=300&I=113KDC3022&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...=0&c=3&g=300&I=023PASADEN&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

And any AMPLIFIER that's worth its own weight in sand is rated per an "RMS @ THD" method.

EXAMPLE:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...=0&c=3&g=120&I=113KAC8401&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Now, which amp do you think makes more REAL power. The "240 watt" Kenwood unit posted above or the "360 watt" piece of crap that comes in the TSX?

BTW:

The ONLY reason I posted the Impala is to demonstrate the RELATIVE EFFICIENCY of its "inefficient" pushrod/2 valve/iron head engine.
:eek::rolleyes:

Hey dumbass, I said on the head unit ( Cd player, Tape player , eight track ) If you look on the face plate it will tell peak power. I have a Alpine CD player and it says 45 x 4 on the face plate. Is that RMS Mr stereo? Hell no. Its 18 x 4 RMS. If you are a true audiofile like you pretend to be, why are you supprised a factory stereo doesn't blow your mind. I invested over five grand in a stereo to get 148 db out of two 15'' speakers. I've never heard a factory stereo that would not sound better if installed with high quality componets. Is the TSX the only factory stereo your dissapointed in? I hope not. And another thing, Infinity Kappa's are made in China. Are they cheap?

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
brentd1 said:
Hey dumbass, I said on the head unit ( Cd player, Tape player , eight track ) If you look on the face plate it will tell peak power. I have a Alpine CD player and it says 45 x 4 on the face plate. Is that RMS Mr stereo? Hell no. Its 18 x 4 RMS. If you are a true audiofile like you pretend to be, why are you supprised a factory stereo doesn't blow your mind. I invested over five grand in a stereo to get 148 db out of two 15'' speakers. I've never heard a factory stereo that would not sound better if installed with high quality componets. Is the TSX the only factory stereo your dissapointed in? I hope not. And another thing, Infinity Kappa's are made in China. Are they cheap?
Take a loot at these HEAD UNITS and let me know how they're rated:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-q0RbIktH4Qn/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?c=3&s=0&g=300&cc=01&avf=N

Where does Acura post its RMS specs? ALL I see is the PEAK ("360 watt") rating.

Have you actually LOOKED INTO the TSX's speakers? EVERY SPEAKER in the car is a ONE WAY design. I especially like the "full range" drivers in each of the 4 doors.

The TSX stereo uses 8 drivers TOTAL; that's the same number that can be had with FOUR (4) co-axials.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
My point is this Alpine head unit is rated at 23 x4 rms. On the head unit it says 50 x 4. Here is the address http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/...photos&pi=1&i=500CDA9807&display=L#morephotos
What does the Alpine say on the face plate? What? 50 x 4. Is Alpine a lier too? I guess because its only 23 x 4 rms. I agree that max or peak power is not a true rating.But you are acting like Acura is the only one using this bullshit rating. If you look in a Crutchfield book they will tell you the rms below each receiver in the specs. If you buy a car and it has a Alpine receiver already installed , or any other brand, a uneducated stereo person would say it was 50 x 4. Because this is what it says on the receiver.In reality it is only 23 x 4 rms. Is this not the same as what Acura is doing with there factory radio ? If your looking for a stereo go to Crutchfield. If your looking for a CAR go to your local ACURA dealer and tell them how much time you spend in the TSX forum.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.