Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TSX 06 180,000 I bought it back in January and had to replace the alternator first month of owning the vehicle. I live in Florida and it floods pretty bad here.

I manage to drive my car through the flood waters to get to work. It wasn’t much water and I was already close to work, car didn’t stall or anything, I made it to work fine and I go on about my day.

Once it was time to leave I got in my TSX, turned it on, and less than a minute later the car shuts itself off almost like I ran out of fuel.TMPS, Check Emission system and a VSA light came on, everytime I tried to start the vehicle after, it would just shut off sooner and sooner until it wouldn’t start.

I waited a couple days because I figured a sensor must of gotten wet and it’s shorting out. I come back 5 days later to get the car, the battery was drained and I manage to drive her home after a jump.

Now it’s about 2 weeks after that incident and my car continues to have the same issue, the longer I let it sit without driving the car, the more of a chance I get of it turning on. I plugged a scanner in and usually I get a no connection, unless I mess with the ECU fuse or the battery, I’ll get the scanner to work but I won’t get any codes or anything.

The car runs when it hasn’t been touched in a good 10 hours, it’ll run perfectly fine and I won’t get any check engine lights or anything. After driving probably a good 30 minutes, I’ll try to crank her up and the issue happens again where the car won’t start and I’ll get a TPMS and Check emission system light. I’ve been looking on other forums to find out if anyone has been in my situation, I’m not sure where to start checking but I know it’s an electrical issue and not a mechanical one. The car runs perfectly fine, sounds normal, but after a good while of driving the vehicle, trying to crank her up again she’ll struggle and sounds like she doesn’t have any gas. I maintain my fuel above half. If anyone knows anything or have any suggestions on where I should start looking, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know it has to do with water and my electrical components, when I bought the car it didn’t come with the engine splash guard. :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to find a really good mechanic. Electrical engine problems are the toughest to figure out. I have replaced the steering rack on my own on my Tsx but I would not attempt to diagnose a problem like yours. There are simply too many variables. No codes, is there or has there ever been an alarm system, was there damage before you bought it, etc., etc.,. I had a bad mechanic spend 5 days and remove an alarm system on an Integra before he figured out my stalling problem was a cracked ditributor cap.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first codes I’ve gotten was from a coworkers scanner on the first day, He said that the crankshaft sensor was bad, I tried shooting it with a scanner I bought this week, no codes. It does have an alarm system but it’s not much of use, I don’t got the key fob either, but the alarm does activate upon locking the door with a key. I got the car and I had a couple of issues, bad alternator, found out my alternator went bad because it had too much power steering liquid falling on it. Yeah I think I’m gonna end up taking her to a mechanic. When the starts I don’t get any lights, nothing, as soon as it dies I get the TPMS and check emission.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was having strange electrical issues with my 07 MT with around 60k miles on it. Sometimes I would lose total electrical power for less than a second while driving. Sometimes I would be idling at the light and a bunch of warning lights would randomly come on, ie. VSA, Airbag, Brakes, etc.

My radio would also lose power and finally my battery died but still held a jump to the parts store. The guy tested my battery, which was only a year old, and it read as a good battery still holding 12volts.

I just bought a brand new battery and have not had any issues since then. I've also read that the negative battery terminals and ground wires could cause the same issue. Check those and make sure they are making proper connection and not rusted.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update - June 24 2020

So the car hasn’t been starting for the last 2 weeks. I decided to finally pull the ECU and this is what I came across.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, good thing you found it without spending time and resources looking for something else. I'm sure you can find a stock ECU fairly cheap but I would have a look under the dash to check for leaks. You don't want your replacement to be ruined the same way.

By the way, in my old EG hatch, I had a leak under my dash that would drip onto my fuse box and make the relays go nuts. The leak ended up being from an old and cracking windshield sealant.

·
Registered
168 Posts
there was a recall about corroded ECUs for the TSX. NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V093000. Might be able to get that fixed for free. Did you ever get a recall notice? It began in 2013. I bought mine late 2013 and never got a recall notice and am in the affected states.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My electrical problems have returned after replacing the battery. I'll be checking the ECU next after reading through this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Update - July 1st

So once finding out about my ECU being ****** up, I quickly got in contact with the famous @littlebo on the 24th, he told me he would have it for me by the first. I searched around he was the only service providing plug and play ECU’s.

I received it well packaged and put in the ECU, I was so excited that I didn’t even take pics. I tried turning the car on to nothing and had a quick scare thinking the new ECU was no good, the car hasn’t been on in a few weeks so after a quick jump, she cranked up and drove perfectly. He even reflashed the ECU so it was a 2 birds and 1 stone deal.

@TSX_scrub Now that you mentioned that about your EX.. My windshield has a huge crack on it, the water must be dripping on the inside and into there.. I must fix it ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts