Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As you can see, I'm new to this forum as I often browse the Subaru Forums only. I am trying to get some perspectives from you TSX members.

I am either going to purchase the Legacy GT or the TSX within this week. The TSX is very convincing indeed after paying a visit to the acura dealer. Every "luxury" comes standard. In comparison with the Legacy GT, the TSX has a much nicer interior and everything, but does not have AWD and a turbo charged 250hps engine.

I am sorry for not doing a "proper" search before asking, but I am in a hurry to leave the computer, and was desparate for some advice.

Note: How much more HPS can we throw into the TSX with some extra mods? How much would it cost(just curious)?

Thanks all! I am not to fimilar with Honda cars. Sorry for being long.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
well .. with a CAI , header , cate back exhaust , and Hondata gasket set up ..
it would basically gives u around 30 crank hps and will cost u under 1500 USD.. ~ and that's basically all wut u can do for now ~ except for custom turbo or the up coming comptech supercharger ~

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
It's only limited to how far you want to take it and how much you want to spend. But comparing power gains on a NA and a TA is like comparing apples and oranges. It's pointless if you ask me and if power is one of the principals of buying a car, comparing with one much lesser isn't going to help.

That's like saying, spend an X amount of money on the CL9. But with 10% of that budget, watch the Legacy fly like a bat out of hell with no problems whatsoever.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
it really boils down to what you want. Do you want power or luxury?

Power = Legacy GT
Luxury = TSX

Unless a turbo or SC comes out for the TSX, you'll never get the same level of power as the Legacy

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Righton....Subaru doesn't even have retained accessory power (ability to close windows after key is taken from ignition). It is missing Traction Control, and Stability Control. It has crappy stereo, no Xenon headlights, no telescoping steering wheel, or audio controls on sterring wheel. No overhead console for sunglasses, no homelink. It's just not a luxury, and I don't think it's worth 4k more than TSX. If you want AWD, then I would say get that car without a doubt. Otherwise I think there are much better options out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Joker: Thanks for the welcoming :nod: How much HPS can the TSX roughly take us at if with the extra "reasonable(2000 USD)" amount of mods?

Andy: Thanks for your advice. How much HPS will that take us? I think have seen your car passing by a few times if I not mistaken. Very nice work done.

Thanks for the inputs. More would definitely be nice. I totally agree that I am either buying luxury or performance at this point in time. I am not looking for the same power as the GT with the TSX, but seeing how much I can compensate for the lost power in the TSX.

Does the 6-speed ever come to use with you guys as well? I never had a chance to take it to that level with the sales sitting beside me :donno:

Thanks again everyone. :eek:

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
babeatto said:
I am not looking for the same power as the GT with the TSX, but seeing how much I can compensate for the lost power in the TSX. Does the 6-speed ever come to use with you guys as well?
Here is one with a USD$11,500+ budget upgrade and is no longer a luxury car in anyone's books. The downsides are, rides hard, stiff, noisy, uncompromising and poor fuel mileage but the upside is, handling is shockingly neutral, braking is neck-snapping, there is endless torque, no flatspot and power delivery is brutal all the way to a 8,000RPM redline.

Like I said, how far you want to take it is only limited to your budget. And this is just my daily car. While 6th speed is commonly used, it's just another gear ... Not a "overdrive" type gearing. You shouldn't have any problems cruising in 6th if anything. I personally would not compare a Liberty with a CL9, compensate is not the word ... Especially when I still sense power being a top concern.

·
Registered
180 Posts
babeatto,

IMO, the power difference btw the 2 cars is so great that there really aren't any reasonable mods available now that can bridge the gap. Furthermore, since the Legacy GT engine is just a detuned STi engine, it takes very little to hit over 300 hp on the Legacy. Finally, I think if you start adding serious HP to the TSX, ie. nitrous, turbocharger, etc. It would not work as well as it is still FWD and you would have problems getting the power to the ground.

If you are interested in a car with many of the nicer luxury items, plus high performance, you should consider waiting for the Mazdaspeed6. For about $29K base price, you get a 2.3 liter 274 hp 280 lb-ft torque AWD sports sedan that comes with luxury items such as HIDs and can be optioned w/ navigation, etc.

Of course, you would have to take your chances with the dicey reliability of Mazda/Ford. Then again, Acuras and Subarus also have their share of problems too.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hmmm...if were to decide between the two cars, I'd probably take the TSX over the Legacy. For me, the TSX has enough power for me to do what I want it to do. It's FWD and it handles well in the snow. The interior of the car is alot cleaner/sleeker. And it's got all the luxury features that I want for the price I want to pay.

Have you test driven both cars yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again everyone.

I don't me to be annoying. But was thinking maybe this chat was worthwhile for TSX members as well as a comparison. Unless it has been discussed before.

TSX'R US: I have actually test driven both (GT 3times/ TSX1 time). I think you probably know what I am going to say :D. But in case if you didn't, when I drove the TSX, it felt like the car didn't "want to go". But when in the GT, the car actually flew, and I was actually kind of scared of it since its got so much power in it especially when the turbo kicks in and I'm not fimiliar with the car. Handling wise, I kind of felt both to be at the same level, except the legacy was bit tighter on a turn I did (rainy on both days). I guess its cause its AWD.

Finally, what I said is just "my opinion", I am not an expert or some street racer. The test drives I did were both "short" and I really didn't have a full chance to try both car's full performance.

What made me fall in love with your car is the luxury. I have to agree, the car is definitely worth its money. Not many can provide such luxury at this price. The interior fabalous and I understand why the TSX is so popular! The GT is definitely worth its money in terms of "power" and "performance".

I guess what I need to decide on is whether I want performance or luxury. More comments are definitely welcome!

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
I agree, the Mazda 6 mazdaspeed will be less than 30k, and have the luxury items like the TSX. It will also have MORE power than the legacy ~ 285hp/275tork along with AWD...it will blow subaru out of the water.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
babeatto said:
Hi again everyone.

I don't me to be annoying. But was thinking maybe this chat was worthwhile for TSX members as well as a comparison. Unless it has been discussed before.

TSX'R US: I have actually test driven both (GT 3times/ TSX1 time). I think you probably know what I am going to say :D. But in case if you didn't, when I drove the TSX, it felt like the car didn't "want to go". But when in the GT, the car actually flew, and I was actually kind of scared of it since its got so much power in it especially when the turbo kicks in and I'm not fimiliar with the car. Handling wise, I kind of felt both to be at the same level, except the legacy was bit tighter on a turn I did (rainy on both days). I guess its cause its AWD.

Finally, what I said is just "my opinion", I am not an expert or some street racer. The test drives I did were both "short" and I really didn't have a full chance to try both car's full performance.

What made me fall in love with your car is the luxury. I have to agree, the car is definitely worth its money. Not many can provide such luxury at this price. The interior fabalous and I understand why the TSX is so popular! The GT is definitely worth its money in terms of "power" and "performance".

I guess what I need to decide on is whether I want performance or luxury. More comments are definitely welcome!
No...not annoying... We're glad to put in our two cents to help :nod:

Yeah...I'm not sure what else I can put into this... Power vs Luxury + what you want. Don't you wish you can get them both? :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Joker said:
Hello, and welcome to the Club babeatto :wavey:
The most common (easiest), and cost effective mod for the TSX is a Cold Air Intake (CAI).
The most popular CAI for the TSX seems to be the Injen CAI
You can see their dyno here: http://injen.com/webpages/testing/original_files/rd1430.gif :thumbsup:

Joker,

have you installed it in your TSX? How much does it cost? Is it noisey when the engine rev'd . . . where it sounds like a tuner car? Is the performace rec'd worth the install? I would like to add some oumph to my pedal, however my expirence with intakes is that they are very noisey when rev'd and in some cases don't give that much back in performance!! (my old 325 BMW)

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for everyone's feedback.
Great hearing advice from you all. Fantastic Forum.

Happy New Year.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
pocketkiller said:
Righton....Subaru doesn't even have retained accessory power (ability to close windows after key is taken from ignition). It is missing Traction Control, and Stability Control. It has crappy stereo, no Xenon headlights, no telescoping steering wheel, or audio controls on sterring wheel. No overhead console for sunglasses, no homelink. It's just not a luxury, and I don't think it's worth 4k more than TSX. If you want AWD, then I would say get that car without a doubt. Otherwise I think there are much better options out there.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
traction control
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ok sorry. but why would you EVER need traction control in the legacy? traction control is only for the sloppiness of fwd and rwd.

also, the awd is legendary. Don't plan on taking ur tsx out in the snow...
as for luxury maybe ur talking about another car? the legacy gt was compared to a bmw 5 series in C&D and MT

edit: i would have added 100x more laughs but the forum wont let u for some reason

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Not to be an anti-Subaru advocate but you're clearly on a Honda/Acura board talking about something out of another nature. So here are my thoughts in varying contrast of performance and handling aspects;

Traction Control - "An electronic device in place on an FF and FR because of a lack of AWD causing it to be sloppy in handling?" That has to be one of the most ignorant statements I've seen lately. Last time I checked, TCS is designed as a safety feature instead of a permanant active feature unlike AWD. A competent driver in any drivetrain can and will still perform with or without such electronics.

Legendary AWD - "Snow, poor road conditions will own3d you." Minus FR, MR and RR. FF can handle and meet similar if not better AWD handling in such conditions as well. AWD can be a serious bitch when it comes to handling, superb and legendary? Definitely not. Think serious understeer, more understeer and even more understeer. All Subarus are designed from factory with this characteristic and is still the biggest complain amongst owners. That itself is far from legendary in my books, no where near and will probably never be.

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I've actually had the same dilemma. The Subaru Legacy GT is an awesome car. While it lacks the style and probably a little on quality when compared to the TSX, it is a very nice car indeed. The TSX is the sort of car you marry right away. It is like your high school sweetheart....you can't go wrong but it will never make you scream "wow!" The Legacy GT on the other hand is almost as luxurious, a little funny looking, but when you push on the right pedal all is forgotten. The Legacy GT is a WRX sti that you can actually live with. The power comes on so efforlessly and the drivetrain is slick. If you actually read the car and driver comparison where the TSX was top dog, you will see that the Subaru actually edged out the TSX in the drive train category. I actually own a non turbo Legacy GT already that the wife drives and we love it. If you want to an all around great car with good mileage, get the TSX. If you want passion, heart thumping excitement, get the Legacy GT.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts