Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I know you're all loyal to your TSX's on here, and for good reason. It's one of the best cars out there in the $25-$30K price range. Believe me, I'm strongly looking into getting one. I've owned 2 consecutive Nissan Maxima's for 10 years now, and I've loved everything about them. Interestingly enough, I think Maxima and TSX owners share a lot in common despite the differences between the two vehicles. Both owners want something a little different, something other than the herds of Accords and Camry's on the road. I'll list the pros and cons of the Maxima and hopefully you'll give me your thoughts on the matter. Again, I know you're loyal to the TSX, but try to think outside the box.

First of all, I should tell you that I'm an outside surgical sales rep and drive a considerable amount of miles each year (around 18-20K). Like you guys, I value reliability, performance, durability, and value. That's why I (we) buy japanese cars, isn't it?? Ok, that's my bio.

Nissan Maxima SE

pros - rated one of the best V6 engines for 10 straight years. also (as I can attest to) one of the most reliable sedans out there. With 265hp, acceleration is breathtaking. Not fair to compare that to the TSX, because they strive for different goals. 6sp manual tranny is nice and lets you blow it off the line. :ben: Trunk capacity is great, and both front and rear seating space is best in class. Huge 20gal fuel tank is nice for sales people like me because you only fill her up every 450-500 miles. Base price is the same (or slightly higher than the TSX, but the ibiggest factor in Nissan's favor is there are more "deals" available out there. Rebates and/or low interest incentives are easily found. Also, I'm having much better luck FINDING the models and colors that I like. TSX's are hard to come by!!!

cons - not nearly as agile as the TSX, and like I said about acceleration, it's really not fair to compare them (different goals). Interior fit and finish is not up to Acura's standards, and fuel economy is a few MPG less, although not too much. Another big con is that you can't get a NAV system in a Maxima unless you get the automatic tranny. What the heck is up with that?? Maxi's are reported to get 25mpg in mixed driving. I've had Maxima's for 10 years now, so maybe another con is that I'm too set in my ways? Then again, they haven't failed me at all, so perhaps it isn't?

Thanks for helping me out guys. There are so many quality japanese, near luxury cars out there now that deciding on one is really a crap shoot. Lexus, BMW, Audi, Acura, Nissan, and Infinity all make rock solid top-line sedans. I'm interested in why you guys chose your Acura's. I should also say again that Acura has not been very helpful in my early search process. They're trying to sell me what they have on their lotl; steering me away from my color and transmition preference. Nissan has been more like "whatever man, we'll track down exactly what you want and ship it here if we don't have it." Of course that has everything to do with the fact that the TSX is in short supply. So far my best 6sp TSX quote (with NAV) is $28,900. I can get a comparably equipped Maxima (w/out NAV) for around $28,000. Again, not much difference. Big V6 or smooth DOHC 4-banger??? Who knows!!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now why didn't I think of that???

Of course I'm going to test drive them both! :mad:

I was hoping for some of YOUR opinions on your TSX vs. the competition. :bowdown1:

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
Nissan Maxima SE

Acceleration is great, but if gas mileage is a concern, check TSX
Consider the torque steer in the Maxima as well...have you driven the 3.5 or just the 3.0? This problem is exacerbated by the 6 speed manual.
The size is quite a bit bigger than the TSX as you stated, if you like the bigger car, check Maxima
Base prices are similar, but Maxima has must less options than TSX standard. Are you getting a base SE model or are you adding any packages, if so which ones?
Yes you can get a loaded Maxima Elite and get thousands off the msrp price

TSX
6speed manual is 10 times better - must try to believe
agility and tossability
Fit and Finish
Acura NAV is touchscreen, and offers much better versatility than Nissan NAV
Better warranty 4yr/50k vs 3yr36k
Depending on your dealership, Acura will also give you free loaner cars when you have any service completed, as well as free car wash/vaccum

In the end, I think these are the major differences in the cars
Size
Acceleration/Gas Mileage
Dealership/Warranty

I very much like the Maxima as well, but if you're talking base model SE, I would definitely go for the TSX. Maxima's are only good with the top of the line models. If you drive clients around, I would definitely check out the Elite package. It changes the rear bench seat into 2 bucket seats, with center console, heated rear seats, and power rear sunshade controls.
Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns, I'm pretty well versed in these two cars.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
TSX comes with a sunroof, Maxima comes with skylights...

Sunroof is big winner for me. I like the open air feeling most of the year

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Pocket....

Glad to meet someone who actually knows about both cars. You hit the nail on the head as far as the comparisons go. To answer your question, if I decide on a Maxi, I will get a "nearly" fully loaded 3.5 SE as opposed to the SL. Yes, the Acura's shifter is far better than Nissan's. Far better. I still prefer the Nissan's 6sp over the automatic though. I don't dig auto's too much. The rear bench in the Maxi is much more convenient for me, as their are times we need seating for 5. Also, I personally think the Maxima sunroof is awesome. It's not only unique, but it offers up a lot light to rear seating passengers.

I really have nothing bad to say about the Acura. The biggest problem I'm having is tracking down what I want. This is not a minor issue with me. If they can't find me a silver TSX, 6sp manual with Nav, then I'm going with the Nissan. Also, the lowest I've gotten them down to is $28,900 with the Nav. I'll pay $28,500, no more. Is the Nissan a compromise? Yes, in many ways it is. All things being equal though, I'd rather have the Maxima w/out NAV over the TSX w/out NAV. In my opinion, the NAV is a huge selling point with the Acura. Without it, I feel as though I'm driving an upscale Accord 4-cyl.

Thanks again for you input. What a great country this is. So many fantastic cars to choose from. I'm sure in the end, I'll be happy with my decision. If they find me a TSX, I'll buy it. :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Welcome BobbyG123 :wavey:

I did take a gander at a Maxima before deciding on my TSX. I had a bad sales experience with the dealer so I didn't get a chance to test drive one. So I won't be of help with the power of the Maxima. For one thing, the TSX sold me on both interior and exterior style. I felt like I was sitting in front of a modern abstract art exibit in the max. I just like "clean" interiors...if that makes any sense..

Now based on what you might need the car for... I think a bigger car would suit you better. My sister is in sales and she drives clients around and has to carry alot of equipment. So a bigger car would help you out here. The Max has a bit more interior room and I think that'd be good for you if you take clients out for lunch or something...that way they can sit comfortably as well. Don't get me wrong, the TSX has alot of interior room also, but just not as much as the Max. And as you mentioned, I'm sure the Max has more trunk space. Being a salesguy...the navi would help alot... And if you got the Max and taking clients out, if they ask what your car has...you don't have to tell them you've got a 4 banger :nervous:

If only your price range was a little higher...you could get the TL... interior room, styling, V6, 6spd MT, and navi

not sure how much that helps...but good luck to ya!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks TSX-R-US....

I agree with just about everything you said, including how a bad experience at a dealership can tick you off!! (f)(l)(a)(

Having owned 2 consecutive Maxima's, I totally understand your opinion of them. In fact, it's right on the money. The Maxima has always flirted with disaster in terms of styling. Love it or hate it, they've successfully accomplished their primary goal of differentiating themselves from Accords and Camry's. Frankly, I'm not smitten with the Maxima's exterior myself. It looks great from some angles, and very odd from others. Then again, I don't really care (much) about how a car looks. I like a blend of performance, style, reliability, and durability. I like Audi's a lot, especially their look, but their reliability scares me away. Why would I pay $35K for a car that breaks down OFTEN?? No offense to the Audi fans out there.

Anyway...I have lots of time to make my decision. I'm meeting with the Acura people tomorrow, and if they tell me that they can't find the car I want, so be it. I'll gladly pay for another Nissan and have to "settle" for 265hp / tons of interior room / and the peace of mind that the car will last up to 200K miles. Aren't we Americans spoiled???

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
If you are dead set on the 6 speed manual, I think you would be much happier in the TSX. The NAV is another added bonus as you mentioned. Yes the Maxima has the interior room to fit clients. But the TSX is no mini. It carries 4 adults comfortably. If you are getting a Maxima fully loaded with navi, then I suggest you check out the Acura TL as well. The TL is a closer match to a loaded Maxima SE.

Also, the Maxima can be had with a regular sunroof. The skyview roof is the standard, but regular opening sunroof is optional.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Like it's been said, both great cars, targeting somewhat different buyers.

I really believe you should be able to go lower than 28,9. Depending on your location try different dealerships. Also, if you're not in a hurry, you should be able to get one built for you and any reasonable dealer should accomodate your request if they cannot find the car you want.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
pocketkiller said:
If you are dead set on the 6 speed manual, I think you would be much happier in the TSX. The NAV is another added bonus as you mentioned. Yes the Maxima has the interior room to fit clients. But the TSX is no mini. It carries 4 adults comfortably. If you are getting a Maxima fully loaded with navi, then I suggest you check out the Acura TL as well. The TL is a closer match to a loaded Maxima SE.

Also, the Maxima can be had with a regular sunroof. The skyview roof is the standard, but regular opening sunroof is optional.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention about the sunroof option... That sky light thing is just weird... IMO..
With the TL, I think you'll have more chances of getting the color/tranny you want than the TSX... if you go that route.

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Well Bobby from my point of view I am going to say this. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima which is entirely different than the 04 but my friend owns a 2004 Maxima SE.

2004 Maxima

Pros
Definatly more power off the line, in a bigger class, a couple of more options

Cons
3 yr 36k warranty
lower gas mileage compare to the TSX
18" wheels, more expensive for tires, friend just paid $1k buying the same tires that came on the car
You dont get a free car wash when its serviced

Now I will say before I bought the TSX I was heavily leaning toward the Maxima. My insurance was a tad lower with the TSX and the 5 yr warranty and a couple of other options made me lean toward the TSX. I have owned about 5 Hondas and Acuras and for some reason I just couldnt go back to a Nissan. Also in my opinion and in my area...the local Acura dealerships have better service. One time my integra was in the shop overnight and they gave me a brand new RSX to drive. I dont believe that Nissan will do that.

Just my .02 cents and the resale value of the Acura will maintain while the Maxima will be lower year after year. Here in Alabama you can find a used 04 Maxima for around 23K and a used 04 TSX around 24-25k. Definatly cant go wrong with the Acura!

·
BUM
1,242 Posts
JT2k4TSX said:
Well Bobby from my point of view I am going to say this. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima which is entirely different than the 04 but my friend owns a 2004 Maxima SE.

2004 Maxima

Pros
Definatly more power off the line, in a bigger class, a couple of more options

Cons
3 yr 36k warranty
lower gas mileage compare to the TSX
18" wheels, more expensive for tires, friend just paid $1k buying the same tires that came on the car
You dont get a free car wash when its serviced

Now I will say before I bought the TSX I was heavily leaning toward the Maxima. My insurance was a tad lower with the TSX and the 5 yr warranty and a couple of other options made me lean toward the TSX. I have owned about 5 Hondas and Acuras and for some reason I just couldnt go back to a Nissan. Also in my opinion and in my area...the local Acura dealerships have better service. One time my integra was in the shop overnight and they gave me a brand new RSX to drive. I dont believe that Nissan will do that.

Just my .02 cents and the resale value of the Acura will maintain while the Maxima will be lower year after year. Here in Alabama you can find a used 04 Maxima for around 23K and a used 04 TSX around 24-25k. Definatly cant go wrong with the Acura!
Very good points, I think if the size and 265 hp don't matter too much, then definitely go with the TSX

·
Registered
80 Posts
It all came down to: Single or Family? Driving Style? How much you want to spend?

My opinion; A good handling car with MT, you feel you are in total control and alot of fun in twisting turns at high speed. More power with lazy handling car (04+ Maxima, stock TL they are more focus on hp and comfort), I feel the car is more controlling then driver.

At 27-35k range with fun, performance, value and reliability in mind. You can't go wrong with TSX, G35s.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
seems to me the only pro Maxima has over TSX is HP. Interior comfort and look is important to me personally. Once I sat in a TSX and had a good look round. My mind was pretty much made up - I could find no other cars in the same or less price range with such a well-layed out & tasteful interior.
Plus Maximas are EVERYWHERE like the freaking Accords !

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
JT2k4TSX said:
Do you mean 4 year warranty?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bobby,
this is a toughy. i have a 3.5 o2 altima and my women has a tsx. i love both cars. the nissan interior is far inferior to acura's. i think the tsx is a better looking car too. as far as performance goes the tsx cant hold a candle to a 3.5. so really what it is going to come down to is your preferrence. performance? or luxury.

G

·
I don't own the TSX. I went in to negotiate over a white pearl over a year ago when there were very few on dealership lots and they weren't giving much discounts, so I decided to buy a slightly more expensive car (according to MSRP) with a bigger discount. I still dream about the TSX.

Regardless of price, I would rather own the TSX than the TL. I would take either over the Maxima no matter how much discount I could get for the Maxima. It's clear that you are into Nissans and Infiniti, that you don't know how screwed up they really are. Many people are in the same position. But I'll tell you that Nissan/Infiniti is about the last Japanese brand I would ever consider buying. They are the king of cost-cutting, as their Renault CEO, Carlos Ghosn, is called "Le Cost Cutter." Ghosn brought Nissan back from the edge of destruction (actually they were past that edge), that is true. His method was and is to build cars that look good on the outside; have a lot of HP compared to same-class competition; and save money by platform sharing, engine sharing, and going cheap on interior and other less-noticeable things like R &D in the mating of engine to chassis as well as chassis refinement and tuning. Nissan/Infiniti is truly the chop shop of Japanese cars, much like GM is for American cars. Pretty much every magazine has mentioned the same things across many Nissan models. Harsh ride in the Altima, Maxima, Murano, Titan, FX, etc. Nissan of course calls it firm, sporty ride that matches the high HP levels from the VQ engine. Smart marketing. However, virtually every single mag has brought up that it's a kind of firmness that is indicative of short-cutting the R & D and materials and saving costs. All the interiors, including the G35 sedan and coupe and 350z, are terrible in materials and unacceptable LOOKING. Of course, the American buyer who is used to years of American Big 3 crap, somehow convinces himself the Nissan/Infiniti interiors are pretty cool. Still, constant backlash against the Altima interior has led to the current, quickly-redesigned interior. Give props to Ghosn for quick action on things that can be redone or redesigned without much R & D cost and time. He has truly developed the new bible/model on how to build chop shop cars and make great profit. Really. Pretty much all the car mags have also commented on how the drive trains don't seem mated to the platform properly, how it seems the car is carrying too much HP for the chassis, how when going around corners at high speeds the body seems to want to go straight forward for a split second before it begins to turn and catch up with the rest of the car. Note the mags are not saying it's a ton of HP for pretty much any chassis; they're saying the chassis was not designed properly. The mags have mentioned this independently for the Altima, FX, Q, and MAXIMA. Yes, really. The mags all say it is as if Nissan/Infiniti was in the middle of R & D and ran out of time and simply put the respective car to production. The VQ engine has also been described as somewhat unrefined and coarse. Mags question if the somewhat low redline is acceptable for such a engine by modern standards and have suggested that the VQ may be nearing its limit for displacement increases. So why does it consistently win a spot on Ward's best engines list? Because it is important in its versatility and its singular great impact on an automaker. The fact is, the Honda V6 used in Accords and whatever else is a superior engine in virtually every way.

The bottom line is, if you knew really what is going on with Nissan/Infiniti, and specifically the Maxima, you would never purchase one. For example, I would NEVER EVER seriously consider a Maxima. I'd go straight to the Accord V6, TSX, or TL.

I'm not trying to criticize you or make you feel bad, I'm just giving you some information that may be important to a consumer. Of course, if you just want to get a Maxima, then you're going to get one, and that's great.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Mitsubishi

Startle_Reflex said:
I But I'll tell you that Nissan/Infiniti is about the last Japanese brand I would ever consider buying.
Mitsubishi would be the last 1 I chose followed by Mazda & then Nissan. I never really considered a Maxima bc they never really were that aesthetically appeasing to me. More importantly tho, Nissans/Infinitis seemed awfully over priced when compared to Honda/Acura & Toyota/Lexus, especially when you consider that they do not have the same reputation for quality. & yes, their interiors leave much to be desired.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Startle_Reflex said:
Regardless of price, I would rather own the TSX than the TL. I would take either over the Maxima no matter how much discount I could get for the Maxima. It's clear that you are into Nissans and Infiniti, that you don't know how screwed up they really are. Many people are in the same position. But I'll tell you that Nissan/Infiniti is about the last Japanese brand I would ever consider buying. They are the king of cost-cutting, as their Renault CEO, Carlos Ghosn, is called "Le Cost Cutter." Ghosn brought Nissan back from the edge of destruction (actually they were past that edge), that is true. His method was and is to build cars that look good on the outside; have a lot of HP compared to same-class competition; and save money by platform sharing, engine sharing, and going cheap on interior and other less-noticeable things like R &D in the mating of engine to chassis as well as chassis refinement and tuning. Nissan/Infiniti is truly the chop shop of Japanese cars, much like GM is for American cars......
great write-up Startle_Reflex ! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts