1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the board.....

question-----

TSX or RX-8

Whats everyone thoughts?

I would get a Black/Black TSX no navi, auto, w/ underbody kits or a Silver RX-8 w/ all options (grand touring package, etc.)

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I considered both cars (and a bunch of others) before deciding on the TSX. The RX-8 is a great car, but I found there were a few too many practical limitations for me as a daily driver.

- I wanted auto as well (stop-n-go commute), but the RX-8 auto is 4 speed which makes the paddle shifters kinda useless. I'd (personally) feel bad getting the RX in auto anyway.

- Despite the suicide doors, there isn't all that much room in the back and the seats don't fold.

- A loaded RX-8 in Canada is $10k (list) and the dealers won't discount, whereas I got about $2k off the TSX, making a $12k difference, which is huge.

- 3 month wait, unless I wanted one off the lot which came with lots of useless options.

- Poor mileage (I have a 80km/day commute).

Of course, the RX-8 has all that sex appeal, good looks, rarity and it's a true sports car and not sports-lux sedan. I think if practicality isn't an issue for you, then go for the RX-8.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I have a passion for both sports car and luxury car.... and that drove me to decide on the TSX today.... I will be picking my new Black/Ebony TSX on Jan 7th

·
Registered
9 Posts
rx-8 is not putting the power that it should have. they said its 250hp? but on dyno its 175hp. check the rx8 forums most of them are unhappy coz the engine has a lot of problems in it

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I am considering an RX-8 (manual, NAV) and a TSX (manual, NAV)

Both cars drive great.

I also read that the RX-8 is having reliability issues. I also don’t trust it a few years out. I am confident I can rack up 200,000 miles on the TSX with a major mechanical issue, but I don’t think the RX-8 will be like that.

I also think that the Acura dealer would provide superior service.

·
Registered
332 Posts
paul said:
I also read that the RX-8 is having reliability issues. I also don’t trust it a few years out. I am confident I can rack up 200,000 miles on the TSX with a major mechanical issue, but I don’t think the RX-8 will be like that.
Mazda hasn't done a rotary in a few years and the Renesis engine does have a lot of new technology in it. Look at the number of RX-7's on the road with 200k on them - probably not that many.

On the other hand, the K-series engine has been in service for a while in other cars (Accord, CRV).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts