Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hei, all

Pricewise, Legacy GT is a very close rival to TSX.

Legacy GT: 3300 pounds, 2.5 boxer 4 turbo, 250 HP, AWD

TSX: 3300 pounds, 2.4 L4, 200 HP, FWD

TSX is by far the best FWD I have ever driven, but last weekend I test Legacy GT (in comparison test against 325i and S60T by CD mag) and AWD just felt awesome. Any comparison of these two before?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,087 Posts
I see that we had a thread on this early in the year:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957&highlight=subaru+legacy

People were curious, and speculating.

I see that on other threads a while ago, Ferg was also wondering if the Legacy might be good competition for the TSX, and Pocketkiller noted that an Aussie publication mentioned it as one of the main competitors to the Euro Accord.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry, I made a mistake by typing "turbo" in TSX description. I mean "HP".

Yeah, tsx will outlast Legacy GT, I believe. But it will be after 10 years and by then I already changed 2 cars. On another note, the gas mileage is worse with Legacy GT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
larchmont said:
I see that we had a thread on this early in the year:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957&highlight=subaru+legacy

People were curious, and speculating.

I see that on other threads a while ago, Ferg was also wondering if the Legacy might be good competition for the TSX, and Pocketkiller noted that an Aussie publication mentioned it as one of the main competitors to the Euro Accord.
:party: thanks larchmont. there were a lot of discussion then. I am considering buying one of them a year later, before my wife turn the money into hundred pairs of shoes. :rollsmile

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
Legacy: It is also very good value. Turbo and boxer engine are very good features. But it requires more effort in maintenence. Even a N/A boxer engine relies on good care from the owner. Legacy is also a good choice, b/c of the 4-wheel, and the safety rating of Subaru is pretty high recently. I think for sure it will out perform the TSX.

TSX: N/A engine... less maintenence headache (hopefully). I would say better interior. If you compare 2 cars, Legacy should be a better buy. BUT I love TSX, bite me!!! :nutkick:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MarkPinTx said:
How so? Not disputing, just curious. Zero experience with boxer engines.
I guess it is because four cylinders in an opposed position will cancel viberation, and the center of gravity will be lowered due to the position of the engine. :sport62:

and I am guessing why Honda only produce 4 / 6 cylinder engines: it started as a motorcycle company. (with salute: The best motorcyle I have ever ridden! CBR 600 RR)

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
I may be wrong but.....now that I have qualified......I doubt the configuration of the cylinders alone means the engine will require more/better maintenance. It may very well be that Subaru is not up to the quality level of Acura, and you may experience more problems, but I don't know why a boxer engine would require more maintenance than an I4.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,124 Posts
Australia has the Legacy GT around the same time the Accord Euro/TSX was on sale. This was to replace the twin turbo B4. They're close in design cues and each appeals to it's own market. Performance wise, the Legacy takes the lead. Looks wise, the Accord Euro/TSX is a better design. One carries a higher insurance premium than the other because it's turbocharged, apples and oranges.

G

·
Legacy GT is an awesome car. The styling is not as nice as the TSX but it goes and very enjoyable to drive. Subaru has good warranty too and their turbo cars are very reliable despite what people say. The problem with the Legacy GT is you are getting in 325i territory and even though it's not as fast as the Legacy, the 3 series is a work of art. Drive all three and decide for yourself. If you are looking for an automatic, then the legacy is better in my opinion, but the Manual TSX is very nice and that would make it tougher.

I own a Subaru and a 3 series and they are all good cars. One thing about the Subaru is that it ages faster than the Acura and BMW. What I mean is the rubber trim, etc. looks ratty on the Subaru after 4 or 5 years while I see many 4 year old BMWs that look almost new. Same thing for Acura, except with Acuras, the look good for a long time except for their plastic bumpers. They can never match those to the rest of the car and they change color quickly. I see many pristine 4 year old acuras that look perfect except for the damn bumpers that are two shades different than the rest of the car.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't rule out the Subaru just because it's turbo, it's a really fun and amazing car.

Finally, NOEL is correct, they are apples and oranges. The TSX is very balanced where the Legacy is a bit more performance at the expense of Mileage .

Good luck.

IB

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
694 Posts
I have both a 2005 TSX and a 2006 Legacy GT (wagon)
I choose the TSX as the better of the 2 for the following reasons:
-maintaince in the long run will be cheaper in the Acura (less parts than a AWD setup)
-MPG is better in the non-turbo
-interior is 5x better than the subaru's
those 3 factors alone makes me put the TSX above the Legacy GT.

when you just look at performance, of course the Legacy GT wins hands down. Its AWD, boxer engine, turbo....and not to mention a world of rally history in the company!

G

·
afici0nad0 said:
^

how does the suspension/handling characteristics compare between the 2? stock v stock.

this has always been a comparison i've enjoyed reading, because i was also in this position.
The stock suspension on the TSX is one of the best around and IMO, it is slightly more refined than the non spec-b Legacy......BUT, the Legacy is All Wheel Drive with special 60%Rear, 40% Front bias. No matter how good the FWD TSX suspension is, the Subie powertrain will crush the TSX of the track or street simply because it can put the power down at will. There is little "negotiating" to do with the Subie. It is pretty much point and shoot. That is why I keep saying, if Honda built a Mazdaspeed type car; or a Legacy GT type car with Turbo Intercooled and AWD, Honda would have the edge because their suspensions are very well designed. I have had gripes in my day with Honda on paint, seats, etc. but the TSX suspension is superb in stock form as is the gearbox.

As I said in the past, the TSX styling is better and the Acura will hold up better in terms of appearance and resale value but there is nothing wrong with Subaru. They are not Toyota quality yet but pretty close..then again, I still prefer the way Toyota puts their cars together more than Honda anyway.

If you value comfort, styling and finesse over thrills, the TSX is the better car. The TSX as good as it is will never make your heart miss a beat or your knees wobble. The Legacy GT CAN make you knees wobble. It can make your heart want to jump out its chest. The surge of torque from the motor is thrilling and very easy to tune for even more power as it is basically a de-tuned WRX Sti motor.

If you want thrills, the hot cheerleader, get the Legacy for sure. If you want timeless beauty, the prom queen, get the TSX. You won't regret either......well maybe, sometimes I wish I would've gotten the "hot cheerleader!'

:rollsmile

G

·
I also own both. I drive a 2006 TSX and the wife and I both drive our 2006 Legacy GT. Let me say first of all that we're suffering from car payment shock after having no payments for a few years. We recently got the GT for a very good price which ended up being lower than the TSX (though it doesn't have a nav and the TSX does). Here's my take:

TSX pros: better interior, more comfortable seats, more "fun to drive", a little quieter, better features for the price.

GT Pros: Much faster, better turning radius, FWD, better stock tires

Draw: Handling, Exterior looks (subjective of course)

I guess it depends on your priorities. Before my wife's car died, I was looking at both of them for myself, and I decided on the TSX. Most of my driving is stop-and-go commutes, and I love having the comfortable, responsive drive with nav, xm, bluetooth, etc. When I do get into the open road, I put it into sport shift and really enjoy revving high and shifting when I want. When I drive the GT, it's a rush to feel all that power, but too often I have to break as soon as I get going.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
ya, i'm on the legacygt forums too. a lot of civilized discussions there too regarding these 2 cars.

obviously, as some of you have already done, you've decided to grab both.

maybe down the road i'll pick up a lgt, and give my brothers my tsx. that way, i'll have access to both.

i've always said that, for me, it would've been a toss-up between these 2 cars. can't go wrong with either one.

i haven't been able to find any videos of a tsx/euro-r v lgt/spec-b shootout yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.