Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a rainy day here. I went to a store in the car and when I came back to the car from the store I noticed that the a-pillar had become wet. I got home and put the car back in the garage and used my wife's car for any further travel.

I looked up posts regarding leaks with this vehicle and found several that suggested checking the drains from the sunroof. The car is always garaged and does not have leaves and such clogging the sunroof tracks. A test with some water showed that all four drain are clear and draining quickly. I also found posts that indicate that the roof racks will not leak as the bolts that hold them to the roof are welded to the car's structure - not through bolted. So where else can this leaking come from? The car has never leaked before - this came up just in one trip out. It seems to me if I had a windshield leak it would have started slowly and gotten worse over time.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another rainy day here. For about three miles it looked like the leak might have stopped, but no, by mile five it was back. I've attached a photo of the A-pillar. Don't be fooled by the drop at the door seal - that's from switching sides of the car to take the photo. There is no access from the door to the interior trim. The leak has to be from the windshield or exterior trim. Anyone know how to remove the painted trim along the front of the A-pillar so that I can have a look at the windshield seal on the right-side edge?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More information:

I ran two quarts of water through the roof drain in the right front where the leak is. There was no evidence of leaking. Then I drove the car a bit and the dampness appeared on the a- pillar garnish - it was not raining. I hadn't gotten any water on the windshield or roof. This made me suspect that the drain hose must be leaking, just a little. A couple of days later I pulled the trim off the door and opened the garnish enough to see in there. I didn't take the garnish off as I've not ordered the top clip that gets destroyed in removing it. I ran another gallon or so of water through the right front corner of the sun roof, again being careful not to get any water on the roof or windshield. No water came into the a-pillar and the garnish did not get wet. I could not observe any water in the area of the drain hose, which runs inside the airbag in the a-pillar. I'm stumped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More information:

I ran two quarts of water through the roof drain in the right front where the leak is. There was no evidence of leaking. Then I drove the car a bit and the dampness appeared on the a- pillar garnish - it was not raining. I hadn't gotten any water on the windshield or roof. This made me suspect that the drain hose must be leaking, just a little. A couple of days later I pulled the trim off the door and opened the garnish enough to see in there. I didn't take the garnish off as I've not ordered the top clip that gets destroyed in removing it. I ran another gallon or so of water through the right front corner of the sun roof, again being careful not to get any water on the roof or windshield. No water came into the a-pillar and the garnish did not get wet. I could not observe any water in the area of the drain hose, which runs inside the airbag in the a-pillar. I'm stumped.
I experienced the exact same problem. After several frustrating months, I pulled the luggage rail and liberally coated all studs and body seams with Flex Seal. End of the leak! Good Luck.

·
Registered
2011 TSX Sportswagon
11 Posts
Just seeing this thread. My wagon doesn't leak (yet) but ironically has another known problem which is that the windshield trim can come of (while driving down the road actually). The seal of the windshield is then directly exposed, but it doesn't look like the trim does much weatherproofing anyway.

My understanding is that windshields are commonly held in place with 3M "Window Weld" which is readily available. In doing a van conversion with roof fans I've used this successfully to fasten a bezel, but still had leaks elsewhere. I ended up fixing them using Dicor self-leveling lap sealant; I tried using silicone but highly recommend against that.

Will keep my eyes open for this problem, thanks for the heads up. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had a problem with leaking through the roof rail rack. The Acura dealership said that they could not identify the problem and returned the car to us saying there was no problem. Several days later we found a large pool of water in the wheel well We also have water damage along the same place in the interior as the previous posts pictures. We took it to an autobody shop, which indicated that all of the interior bolts are rusty. We think this is a manufacturer's defect, but our car is well out of the extended warranty. We are very frustrated as we had brought the car in for water leaking problems within the roof that was impacting the electrical several years ago and was told that the problem was fixed. We really love this car, but the roof rack design appears faulty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just joined after seeing this post. My 13 wagon was getting just some drops of water on the drivers sill plate, I always just wrote it off to drips when I opened the door. Yesterday I decided to pursue it further and noticed the a pillar garnish was wet. Checked the 4 sunroof drains and all were clear so I got the drivers front corner of the headliner lowered to see if the hose had a crack. That’s when I noticed where all of the layers of sheet metal are welded it looked wet. So I closed the drivers door and window then poured some water down the roof channel under the roof rail and sure enough some drops of water just started to emerge from that spot. Now I just have to wait until it’s warmer than 20° and not raining or snowing to remove and seal up the area. Always make sure to use a urethane based sealant. A silicone base will rot the metal (not sure why but a body man told me that).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yesterday I pulled the trim off the left front roof rack cover. I ran a bunch of water on the exposed bracket and in about 15 minutes I had a wet A pillar ganish. This could be from a leaking windshield but I assumed it to be from the roof bracket and sealed it up with butyl caulking. When the garnish has fully dried I'll give the bracket another good soaking. If it does not leak I'll proceed to do the right side. If it does leak I'll have to conclude I have a windshield seal issue.

Links to Photos
Cover and Tab
Bracket and Cover
Making Rain
It's Leaking
Fastening Nuts
Butyl Caulking Applied

While finishing up this post I came across a post in the Honda Ridgeline forum. It seems that the Ridgeline has similar leaking issues and it uses exactly the same roofrack mounting system as the TSX wagon. From the posts, it's not clear if the problems are coming from the roofrack mounting points or other entrys in the channel that runs the full length of the roof seam. Does anyone know now to pull off the front piece of channel trim without damaging it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

I went out this morning and soaked the area around the front left roofrack bracket that I had sealed yesterday. Initially, things seem good but after fifteen minutes or so of soaking I started to get dampness on the A pillar garnish. I removed the front roof grove trim piece (it just pull backwards, see photo with attaching point). There is a slight crack in the "bondo" that fills the welded seam of the roof. Could this be my problem? I took the right side of the roof apart and it has a similar crack. These may be my problem. I will carve them out a bit and fill them with sealant. On hand I have; Phenoseal vinal adhesive caulk, GE 100% silicone caulk and DAP kwik seal plus kitchen and bath adhesive caulk. Any recommendations on the best one to use?

If this does not resolve my leaks, I'm going to need to remove the exterior trim pieces at the sides of the windshield. Any suggestions on how to do this without destroying them?

Photo Links:
Front Trim Piece
Left Side Crack
Right Side Crack

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is a bit late but you really don’t want to use a silicone based sealant, you need to get a urethane based one. Home Depot sells a PL product for roofing that is urethane based and it’s black.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined after seeing this post. My 13 wagon was getting just some drops of water on the drivers sill plate, I always just wrote it off to drips when I opened the door. Yesterday I decided to pursue it further and noticed the a pillar garnish was wet. Checked the 4 sunroof drains and all were clear so I got the drivers front corner of the headliner lowered to see if the hose had a crack. That’s when I noticed where all of the layers of sheet metal are welded it looked wet. So I closed the drivers door and window then poured some water down the roof channel under the roof rail and sure enough some drops of water just started to emerge from that spot. Now I just have to wait until it’s warmer than 20° and not raining or snowing to remove and seal up the area. Always make sure to use a urethane-based sealant. A silicone base will rot the metal (not sure why but a body man told me that).
I have a 2013 TSX Wagon in the shop now. They replaced the sealant under the roof rack hoping that the windshield would be no problem But, guess what .. I'ts back in the shop having the windshield resealed.. I hope this fixes it, Definitely costs enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts