Acura TSX Forum banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Thanks man!

Keep us posted on these - definitely appreciate you taking this task on!

·
J-Spec
387 Posts
I just came up with idea 3. PTFE tubing. You can push it on the bottom of the spring,
one complete revolution. Easy, relatively inexpensive and no custom fabrication/machining.

Edit: The Versilon stuff is too expensive. McMaster-Carr has the preferred stuff:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Oh I see what you're saying. Yeah I'm sure that would work too. Do we know the OD of the springs? I've never measured.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For washers, yes 65ID/90OD and 70ID/95OD. Hell, if this works well Brock you better patent it quick before every speed shop starts selling them :p

I'm gonna go look at the springs that aren't in the car right now to see if that tubing idea would work. Initially I'm a bit skeptical. Since the springs are machined flat for a flat seat, in my mind a flat washer makes more sense. I certainly suspect it would look cleaner (and here I said I was function/form...) than tubing. A look at the springs I have out will tell more...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ok, took some measurements of the 12k springs and here's what we're working with:

IMG_20200403_012013.jpg

ID, I guess I forgot to measure OD... It's late.
...and don't mind my accidental product placement...

IMG_20200403_012216.jpg

Spring thickness, 13.6mm, or ~17/32"
IMG_20200403_012739.jpg

Spring height, just under 8". I think before I said the rears were shorter than the fronts, I now think I got that backwards. Calling them front/rear is now screwing with my head, probably something to do with having the "rear" springs on the front coils. Moving forward, I think I'm just gonna refer to them as 12k or 7k. I remember seeing something on the Tein site about 200/225 regarding the springs. 7.87" is 200mm, so stands to reason the 7k (70mm/95mm) springs are most likely 225mm tall, while these 12k (65mm/90mm) springs are 200mm tall.

Looking closely at the spring I'm still skeptical of the tubing idea. The spring is machined for a flat contact patch, so I feel tubing may not "hold on" to the winding. There is only a small area where the winding returns to whole before it hits what would be a stopping point for our tubing, unless we applied a scary amount of leverage to pass it, and then use this point as a pinch hold for the tubing.
IMG_20200403_012653~2.jpg

IMG_20200403_012602~2.jpg

I've never worked with PTFE tubing, but unless it is stretchy and would conform to the odd shape of the bottom of the spring I think there's a moderate chance the flat surface friction could overcome the friction holding the tubing on the spring, which could pull the tubing off the spring.

If having washers cut for a reasonable cost is on the table, I am all for it. Hopefully in my budget right now, this pandemic has shut down and unemployed my entire industry. What a mess.

This post was in no was sponsored or affiliated with HyperCoils :p

·
J-Spec
387 Posts
My GC springs are similar with the ground flats on the spring ends. I was thinking 1/16" thickness
on the PTFE tubing, which would very easily conform to the shape and flatten out, but I think it
would be extremely difficult to install because of how close the coils are on the end.

The PTFE washers are definitely the best way to go. I still haven't heard back from the local
place about water-jet cutting, so I'm thinking they are closed. I don't think any of us are in a
hurry, so I'll just plan on having the washers made whenever it becomes possible.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Yeah that flat spot on the spring looks like it'd be tough. I agree the washers seem to make more sense.

I'm definitely in no hurry. These are a "nice to have" at this point and I'm sure alot of places are closed/delayed on jobs due to the COVID-19 shit.

On that note - where are you guys from and how is it affecting you/your family?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Definitely no hurry. I am in no rush to tear the suspension apart again unnecessarily.

I'm in South Texas, and I work in live entertainment, hence the full industry shutdown, minus the few in live broadcasting.
Unemployment offices are completely overwhelmed. I haven't managed to speak to a person yet, and I call 10+ times a day, every day for the past 3 weeks. Lately I'm lucky to even hear a busy signal.
On the plus side, got lots of time to see the kiddos. Homeschooling them is challenging, so I do not lack purpose at least.
Beyond that... It is really sad to see how many people refuse to accept the conditions we are under. I guess they think they aren't vulnerable, or the situation is overblown... I dunno. This is why the US has the highest number of confirmed cases in the world, over double that of Italy, in second place. Right now US is at 277,117 cases, Italy at 119,827. The charts are embarassing. We've left the rest of the world in the dust.
I'm sheltering in place as best I can. When I do have to be somewhere public I'm in a mask and gloves as soon as I step out of my car, then that stuff is off and I'm sanitized before I get back in the car. I get a lot of weird looks, laughs, and the occasional fake cough or sneeze. Stupid. Maybe Darwinism will make a small comeback.
I hope y'all are staying safe out there.

·
J-Spec
387 Posts
I'm in metro Detroit. Been working from home for 3 weeks now. Fortunately I have a good job.
Not in the auto industry anymore, which is very, very fortunate, because that industry is shut
down now too.

I'm surprised too that so many people are ignoring the CDC guidelines. I guess the whole
world economy shutting down isn't enough of a signal that this is serious.

I always wear gloves, even before this virus threat. No face mask (yet) but I keep distance
from other people. I have a decent stash of masks because I wear them to minimize the
dust that I inhale. I always wear them when I have to slide under my car in the garage.
Something about concrete dust that really agitates my sinuses.

I only see two options that will cause life to return to normal.
1. Most people catching COVID-19.
2. Most people getting a vaccine.

I think we are a ways off from either. Many companies working on a vaccine, but it takes
time for this type of development. And more time for regulatory approval, however given
the circumstances, this will probably be fast-tracked.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yup, those two scenarios are the most likely. Fast tracking a vaccine could have some serious repercussions down the road... I think I'd rather wait it out. There's also a chance this subsides for a few months, then rolls around again next year like the Spanish flu did.
Unfortunately I don't have too many masks. I am trying to use them sparingly, and quarantine each one for two weeks before considering reuse if needed. If I run out and need them more immediately, I will have to start using steam bags to sanitize them.

·
J-Spec
387 Posts
I was poking around the Eibach website and it looks like they have PTFE washers.
It doesn't say "PTFE", but that's the most likely material.

These particular ones are for 2.5" ID springs, but if you select a different size race
spring, then you will see the isolators listed as an accessory.

And also, they have the needle bearing type too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Flex Z does come with some kind of plastic washer. If you look further up where I posted a breakdown pic of my front coil you can see it. From my experience it doesn't slide very well. Grease helps, but once the preload gets significant even grease has a minimal effect. I don't think it's Teflon, it doesn't look quite like the material I've used at work. Might be worth an email to Tein to figure it out beforehand thou. If it is... then we can save the effort of having some custom ones made.

Edit... I can't read. You were on the Eibach site, not Tein. Maybe Eibach's isolator is better than whatever Tein provided.

$36 for a single thrust bearing is a bit steep. Sure hope it isn't a Chinese one

Edit: if you look closely you can see where the washer is already getting roughed up.
Screenshot_20200406-012259.png

Thinking about it, a second washer may help still. I think the biggest issue is this gap, which allows dirt and crud to get on the slip surface, and also allows the washer to arch under tortional load, which let's dirt and crap get under it too.
IMG_20200401_140617~2.jpg

A second washer and grease could act similar to the thrust bearing. The top washer and bottom spring perch can act as the races and the greased washer between them could provide the needed slip.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I've heard that same exact thing about unemployment offices being hard to contact. Glad you guys are both safe though.

I'm in Chicago and I live across from a big grocery store so it doesn't feel like anything is different just looking out my window. I work in sales for a B2B tech marketing company and I've always worked remote so the lockdown isn't a huge adjustment. The biggest thing that bothers me at this point is eating money on plans that are only re-imburseable to an extent.

Can anyone (cough cough TONY cough cough) confirm those Eibach rings are PTFE?

Back to the car, I broke left rear upper ball joint loose and adjusted it that way. I've got the car where I want it now just need an alignment which I'm hoping to get done today.

Got the bike out on Thursday/Friday and put 5 tanks of gas through her. Not many miles to a tank going all out most of the time but either way it's good to get out and stretch the bike's legs. My phone came out of my Ram x-grip at about 140mph and did the electric slide for about 150 yards. Amazingly we were able to circle back and find it and even more amazingly it was still working (albeit a messed up screen) So Verizon and an alignment are on my list today.

I took a ton of nice pics yesterday since photo ops are easy to come by with the lockdown:

KB24

Also, little side project. A stop light had cracked off it's pole and fallen to the ground and was going to be thrown out. The city workers said it wasn't working anymore but I thought it'd be a cool relic. Unknown to me these things only use regular lightbulbs, 135W. All 3 bulbs were cracked. So I replaced the bulbs and took a wild guess on how to wire it up and ended up with this:

·
J-Spec
387 Posts
Car looks great! Sweet bike. (y)

I'm thinking neither the Tein nor Eibach washers are PTFE. They are probably nylon.
PTFE is kind of soft, so the more I think about it, a thin metal washer should be used
in addition, between the PTFE washer and the spring.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #235 (Edited)
I called a Just Tires and they have a 3 year alignment package (up to 6 alignments) so I'm gonna go that route. That way I can re-align every time I go back to my winter set up.

Had to pull the front bumper off as they said their rack isn't lowered car friendly. They also agreed even with COVID shit to let me come back and get under the car so I can talk to the tech and make sure we're 100% on the same page with adjusting the rear toe/camber arms. I'll be heading out in a couple hours. Can't wait to see how she feels!

Maybe do a metal washer, some of that super lube, a PTFE washer, more super lube, then another metal washer?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #236 (Edited)
Got her aligned - ended up grabbing a 3 year package so I can re-align every time I swap between winter/summer tires.

Camber specs:
2.9* LF 2.6* RF
1.5* LR 1.3* RR

Not bad for eyeballing.. but when taking measurements in my garage I was worried that it wasn't 100% flat and it was throwing my measurements off ever so slightly. I had a feeling the driver's side would be a tad more cambered in than the passenger side and looks like I was right.

I asked for .05* Toe in up front and 0.0 toe out back but the shop wasn't able to break loose the inner lock nut on one of the driver's side toe arms (bad design from Ingalls, the lock nuts should be right in the middle not at the ends) so I settled with .10* toe in out back. Not 100% what I wanted but I'll take it.

They were also cool with me hanging around and talking with the tech to make sure we were on the same page. And they let me be in the car when setting toe which with my 220 lb ass I'm sure makes a tiny difference.

As expected, with wide tires, camber, and awful roads the car has a tendency to torque steer like a motherfucker on uneven pavement if I let her eat. Was able to launch on a smooth road and it was a million times better. Just gonna have to deal with it being a little darty on the super un-even/bumpy streets.

Since traffic is non existent I was able to cruise along at 100mph the whole time (whopping 5 miles) and it felt smooth as silk.

Since the bumper is already off this is a good time to install a new Sti lip. They are way overplayed at this point but for as cheap as they are I'll rock another one. This will be the lowest I've ever had the car and it scraped like hell on the Sti lip before so we'll see how bad this one hits lol.

PS: Yes I know I'm missing a rear bumper reflector. I already ordered/received a set of LED lights/reflectors that wire up with the taillights.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Installed the Sti lip/splitter tonight.

And that's probably it for the time being. I'm going to swap the tires on the rear from left to right and right to left, and pick up a different set of lugs at some point, but these old Rays will do for now.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #238 (Edited)
Nothing new for the TSX but my buddy and I spent the night last night wrapping the airbox on my CBR to keep IAT's down. The DEI gold tape doesn't like to stick on corners or contours so we used a layer of HVAC take, then the DEI gold, then another layer of HVAC tape to keep it sticking tight. Lots of work for very minimal gain lol but hey not much else to do right now.

Next big thing I wanna do on the bike is wrap the header and exhaust with DEI heat wrap. I want the bike to to shoot flames which it easily will with a wrapped exhaust.

I have some left over DEI Gold and now I'm wondering where I could use it on the TSX. Almost considered wrapping the base of the IM. Again, seems like more trouble than it's really worth. Who knows..

·
Registered
363 Posts
Can anyone (cough cough TONY cough cough) confirm those Eibach rings are PTFE?
I'll have to check with engineering when I'm back in the office on them Isolators. I think Brock may be right and likely nylon. No one's ever asked but when I find out I'll update the Eibach site to reflect the material used.

Man, your car looks so good! Love the photo in front of the theater.

As far as lockdown, I'm in Tustin, CA which is right next to Irvine in OC. I'm in a pretty urban area and usually walk to get groceries anyway so not much has changed there. Haven't worked in three weeks since Eibach is 90% shutdown and have mostly been staying home. I've taken our daughter on a couple of drives in the M3 but we haven't seen family or friends in weeks. We're all going a little stir crazy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Thanks Tony! Feels good to be done with it but now I'm like "okay what now?" Can't ever leave anything alone lol.

I was going to go back to my hometown this weekend for Easter and to see my 7 month old niece but we talked as a fam and agreed that it probably isn't worth the risk - especially for my baby niece. Sucks, but better safe than sorry I think.

221 - 240 of 272 Posts