Acura TSX Forum banner

241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's our dilemma too! Our son has been out in Havasu for 4 weeks with grandma and he turns 17 tomorrow. Debating on if it's worth going out to celebrate with him and the fam and bring him home. He initially went for spring break then they had the lock down and shutdowns so he's been out there since.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Not a bad spot to get locked down at though. I hear you, hard to say if it's worth the risk or not.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Spent a good chunk of my Saturday hanging with my friend who owns an e92 M3. We cruised and found some decent spots for some pics.

First the overly edited insta pics:

And some other random shots:

And a random shot of the CBR sporting its BNIB side fairings. They look gooooooooood:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Been meaning to fill you in on how the Federal 595RS-RR tires act, since you brought them up a while back.
I've had a pair on the back of my MR2 for about 700 miles now.
They do make some noise. In my case it's ok because the whole car is loud. I think they may be cancelling out some other, less desirable frequencies. Think of the singing sound you hear when a jacked up truck on all terrain tires drives past on the highway. They aren't that loud, but the tone is similar. The sound could quite likely be less audible in a car with actual soundproofing.... Which the MR2 definitely is not.
They are really sticky. When I first put the tires on I went through my usual turns where I break the car loose for fun... And shot straight through them all with the back of the car firmly stuck to the road. I had to completely relearn how to break the rear end loose, and when cornering at the limit, the car is actually now prone to understeer rather than oversteer. Granted, the front tires are still performance all seasons nearing their life's end, but understeer is a new and strange feeling in a mid-engined car.
They even hold great on wet roads, much better than expected. However, you do NOT want to encounter standing water at highway speeds on these tires. Brand New you only get 7/32 of tread, so much less space for water to be siped away. I recently got caught in heavy rain and it did well everywhere but when encountering standing water. Maybe if you chose a near stock width tire on a heavier car it wouldn't be so bad. Mine are 225 in the back.... And the car only weighs 2200lbs total.

In other news, I recently came across some information regarding setting tire pressures by load index, and I've dropped the pressures on the Conti DWS 06 on the TSX to 29F/28R.... What a difference. Way stickier than with the stock pressures, and so far no loss of fuel economy noted. A truly excellent DD tire.
Been meaning to write a thread on this topic.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Been meaning to fill you in on how the Federal 595RS-RR tires act, since you brought them up a while back.
I've had a paid on the back of my MR2 for about 700 miles now.
They do make some noise. In my case it's ok because the whole car is loud. I think they may be cancelling out some other, less desirable frequencies. Think of the singing sound you hear when a jacked up truck on all terrain tires drives past on the highway. They aren't that loud, but the tone is similar. The sound could quite likely be less audible in a car with actual soundproofing.... Which the MR2 definitely is not.
They are really sticky. When I first put the tires on I went through my usual turns where I break the car loose for fun... And shot straight through them all with the back of the car firmly stuck to the road. I had to completely relearn how to break the rear end loose, and when cornering at the limit, the car is actually now prone to understeer rather than oversteer. Granted, the front tires are still performance all seasons nearing their life's end, but understeer is a new and strange feeling in a mid-engined car.
They even hold great on wet roads, much better than expected. However, you do NOT want to encounter standing water at highway speeds on these tires. Brand New you only get 7/32 of tread, so much less space for water to be siped away. I recently got caught in heavy rain and it did well everywhere but when encountering standing water. Maybe if you chose a near stock width tire on a heavier csr it wouldn't be so bad. Mine are 225 in the back.... And the car only weighs 2200lbs total.

In other news, I recently came across some information regarding setting tire pressures by load index, and I've dropped the pressures on the Conti DWS 06 on the TSX to 29F/28R.... What a difference. Way stickier than with the stock pressures, and so far no loss of fuel economy noted. A truly excellent DD tire.
Been meaning to write a thread on this topic.

I had a feeling they'd sound like a truck on mud tires. I grew up in the country so I know that sound all too well. I knew they wouldn't be shit in heavy standing water, but my current Potenza RE-71R's also hydroplane on heavy standing water so that's a trade off I'm okay with.

What PSI were you running before? Can you share the info you found? Curious to see if my tires need to loose a few PSI.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I will try to post up the tire load index info I have collected later today. Was running the stock pressures of 32F/30R before.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Not much new happening with the TSX. I only drive it 1-2 times a week now tops with the lockdown, riots, etc and really nowhere to go that isn't on the motorcycle.

Speaking of the motorcylce, been riding almost every day and it finally happened - I went down at about 85mph on Saturday. Came into a turn a little too hot, and missed my window to get my weight transferred enough to get leaned far enough. Almost saved it but once my tires hit the loose debris on the shoulder it washed out and low sided.

My poor buddy was behind me and crashed too, likely from watching me go down. I just spent 7 hours the week before going through his bike (it had been sitting 6 years) and it's already wrecked.

Both bikes are fixable. Mine was able to be ridden home. Anyways, heres some pics we've gotten lately.

IS THAT A SOOOOOOOOOOOOPRA

And of the wreck:

Quite shocked that I could low side at close to 90mph and walk away with minor rash on my right leg. I've already got my bike stripped (gotta do my friends next) and both should be back up and ready to go in a couple weeks or less.

On another note. How are you guys holding up with the protests and riots? I live on the west side in a majroity black neighborhood and the building I live in has a beauty shop on the ground floor. It got looted 12+ hours on Sunday. I spent yesterday riding my bicycle into the downtown area where I had to find a bridge that wasn't up or blocked by national guard. Once I got in there it was like a horror film. Some of you guys follow me on insta - it was all reported to my story.

I was downtown for protests Friday and Saturday and things got progressively more violent/angry as time went on. While I don't support senseless looting, I absolutely understand why we are here. I hope all this destruction is not for nothing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Glad you were able to walk away from the wash out.... As much as I want one.... This is why I don't own a motorcycle. Even once I trust my own driving... The majority of others on the road don't even acknowledge your presence. Riots aren't too bad here.... But there have been some major historical monuments defaced, and lots of small storefronts downtown looted. I can understand the anger at what happened but feel much of the violence comes from instigators who just want an excuse to riot and loot (and/or they have a political agenda), and couldn't care less that someone died in police custody. Destroying people's places of business or other property just doesn't make sense, and does nothing for the cause. Just another election year in the good ol' USofA...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
Normally I'm quick to condemn distracted drivers while riding but this crash was 100% my fault. Came in too hot and missed my window to correct.

Taking advantage of the tear down and doing new stainless brake lines F/R and a stainless clutch line. Also bought some much better than OEM brake pads, and an aftermarket clutch slave cylinder that should allow 1 finger clutch ins.

Trying to decide if I want to bite the bullet on all new plastics from Honda. They go anywhere from $275-$400 a piece so I'm not looking forward to it. I had a chinese replica kit on before and as good as they were nothing compares to OEM.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
Welp.. bad news. I rear ended a car last Friday and the core support is super bent. I don't have collision coverage so couple options:

-Fix TSX - likely going to cost too much. Anyone have experience replacing the radiator core support? Other items I'd need are: hood, headlight, grille, bumper, crash bar, A/C condenser, pry others
-Find another 6speed TSX for the low to swap all my goodies over to.
-Part out TSX and buy a newer nice car. I'm currently leaning towards this and am looking at stuff from ~$15k-$25k. Pry looking at a $10k downpayment on whatever I go with. Nothing FWD. Either AWD or RWD. Considering some expensive to maintain cars, but they are the only thing that attracts my attention.

If I part out anyone on this site will get first dibs on anything I have.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Looks like nobody was hurt, so that’s a plus. If I were you, probably would choose option 3 myself and get a replacement. You have anything in mind to test drive?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
I'm looking at incredibly impractical cars. #1 on my list is an E60 BMW M5 with the 5.0L V10. My friend has a couple of these and he knows all about their issues (rod bearings, VANOS pumps, throttle body actuators, etc) but I am obsessed with the s85 v10 and the glorious noises it makes.

Also considering an f10 M5 with the 4.4L TT V8 but they also have problems and are much more expensive. Also considering an E55 AMG, Audi S6/8 or RS4.

Basically I don't want to spend money on something unless it's going to excite me, and 98% of the cars on the road now I find boring. Open to suggestions though. 4 doors, RWD or AWD, must have decent power. I've kept myself in a slow car for years intentionally but it's time to get into something faster.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dang, you’re definitely looking at big boys. I have to admit, my German car knowledge is very limited so wouldn’t be able to chime in there.

If you’re going big displacement engines, have you considered Chevy SS with the magnetic ride? If you’re OK with V6 engines, might be worth checking out 4th gen TL with SH-AWD, G37, Kia Stinger.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
I was looking at TL's that are SH-AWD but for that kind of money I want something that is a true AWD or RWD and more power. Honestly I highly doubt I end up in another Honda/Acura.

Kia Stinger do appeal to me but I don't know much about them and they are a little outside my budget. Not a fan of Infiniti G cars. If I'm going GM it'll be a 08-13 Cadillac CTS-V with the supercharged LS9. But those are on the very high end of my budget as well.

I considered an EVO 9/10 but at my old age of 30 I think I want something a bit more refined and not as boy racer. Def not interested in an Sti either.

Who knew deciding on a car would be so tough.

241 - 260 of 272 Posts