Acura TSX Forum banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Wow.... So sorry to see this. After all that work too... At least you walked away unscathed thou.
In your shoes, I'd probably choose option 3 as well. I let mine go because I needed more space, (wanted) more power and I was done with the fun stuff. Normal maintenance was becoming a chore.
Finding something fun to drive has gotten WAY harder. Most of the options with a manual are European, and every real mechanic I know loathes them for unnecessary complexity. Nearly everyone else has ditched the manual all together... I ended up with an 09 Outback XT. I wanted to go newer but it was the last year they put the manual trans and turbo on the same car, and the Impreza hatch, or any of the sedan models just didn't have enough space.
A friend of mine has a G37 Sedan. It's a boring auto (in my mind) but it's pretty damn quick. Puts my MR2 to shame in a straight line (in all but a perfect scenario for me), and with the right suspension could probably keep up with me in the corners too.
Mazdaspeed3, STi and EVO all carry that boy racer label... But in the case of Subaru, there are several other go-fast vehicles in the lineup that don't look the part... Especially if you're willing to let go of a manual. As much as I hate it, pairing a turbo to a CVT drivetrain does make a lot of sense...

·
Registered
186 Posts
super bummed to see one of my favorite CL7s get injured like that, glad you're OK. Give us who follow your build thread first dibs on parts if you decide to part it out! Have you considered a 4.2 V8 6 speed S4? Maybe a B6 or B7? I had a B5 A4 i loved, but the B5 reliability drove me back to Honda. The B6 and later cars seem much more dependable, though i haven't looked into it seriously. Nothing comes close to Audi interiors. 6 speed, AWD, 350HP High revving V8 sports sedan is a pretty unique combo. In the same arena as the V10 M5.

·
-
1,585 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damaged TSX also.
It can definitely be repaired with time.

But when you are at a crossroads with your TSX and you want a car with more power, the TSX is not the car.

Despite the excellent K24 engine (with several options for ECU tuning) and the excellent 6speed manual trans, the tight engine bay doesn't lend itself well to turbocharging.
The intake at the front and the exhaust ports at the rear make it difficult to fit and route the turbo and piping.
Plus FWD.

The supercharging options never really lived up to the hype. Most guys who installed the pricey non-intercooled Comptech supercharger hurt their engines.
Or they spent even more money on the Comptech air to water intercooler and ended up with an extremely complex system that never performed as well as an intercooled turbo system.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
I still haven't decided what I want to do. Does anyone know just how much work it'd be to replace the core support? Likely more than I want to do to salvage the car.

My friend is letting me borrow his 2014 BMW 335i M sport with a tune and couple other goodies and it's a such a fun car. Twin turbos make all the right noises and the 8-speed transmission feels great. That and AWD I'm thinking this could be a really good daily contender.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The 335 is an amazing machine. The stock exhaust note is fabulous. I’m trying to hunt down a 335 or 340 6MT to ultimately replace the TSX.

How do you think the steering compares to the TSX? That is my one source of hesitancy.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
super bummed to see one of my favorite CL7s get injured like that, glad you're OK. Give us who follow your build thread first dibs on parts if you decide to part it out! Have you considered a 4.2 V8 6 speed S4? Maybe a B6 or B7? I had a B5 A4 i loved, but the B5 reliability drove me back to Honda. The B6 and later cars seem much more dependable, though i haven't looked into it seriously. Nothing comes close to Audi interiors. 6 speed, AWD, 350HP High revving V8 sports sedan is a pretty unique combo. In the same arena as the V10 M5.
If I part out all you TSX club guys will get first dibs.

I did look into 05-09 4.2 V8 S4's - going to pass due to the timing guide/tensioner issue I'm reading about. I know that's an engine out job and I have no interest in that. I also wouldn't put the 4.2 V8 in the same category as the e60's V10. Not even close actually.

I say replace it with a premium color/year TSX. A new car would be dope but the monthly payments wouldn't be. But if I had to replace the TSX, it would be with an E90 M3.
I am still considering that option. If I could find a black, red, or white 6 speed car, any year, with the transmission on the way out for the low I would scoop it up in a second. Keep me posted if you guys see anything!

You're right about payments but I'd be throwing at least $10k down so payments wouldn't be too bad. And I'd pay ahead when I have good commission months to minimize interest paid over the life of the loan.

Despite the excellent K24 engine (with several options for ECU tuning) and the excellent 6speed manual trans, the tight engine bay doesn't lend itself well to turbocharging.
The intake at the front and the exhaust ports at the rear make it difficult to fit and route the turbo and piping.
Plus FWD.

The supercharging options never really lived up to the hype. Most guys who installed the pricey non-intercooled Comptech supercharger hurt their engines.
Or they spent even more money on the Comptech air to water intercooler and ended up with an extremely complex system that never performed as well as an intercooled turbo system.
I think you are a little out of date with the TSX and k-series platform. You're right manifold/turbo location isn't the greatest but theres tons of people boosting these cars/engines and laying down 500+hp on stock longblocks consistently. FWD is my biggest killer though, you're right on that. I am playing with the idea of trying to keep the TSX and get it back to "close to straight as possible" and if I do it'll either be pure winter duty or I'll want to try and boost it. I think it'd be sweet to see how long a stock k24a2 with 345k+ miles would last.

There are also numerous other supercharging options that are far better than the comptech kit. If I had an interest in Supercharging I'd look at the Mercracing kit.

The 335 is an amazing machine. The stock exhaust note is fabulous. I’m trying to hunt down a 335 or 340 6MT to ultimately replace the TSX.

How do you think the steering compares to the TSX? That is my one source of hesitancy.
Steering feels a little vague at times but honestly the rest of the car is so good I barely notice. Bumps/potholes I would literally cringe in preparation when driving the TSX are handled with grace by the 335. I think I've only hit one bump that made me wince like the TSX did on a regular basis. A small drop with different wheels would go a long way with that car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I part out all you TSX club guys will get first dibs.

I did look into 05-09 4.2 V8 S4's - going to pass due to the timing guide/tensioner issue I'm reading about. I know that's an engine out job and I have no interest in that. I also wouldn't put the 4.2 V8 in the same category as the e60's V10. Not even close actually.

I am still considering that option. If I could find a black, red, or white 6 speed car, any year, with the transmission on the way out for the low I would scoop it up in a second. Keep me posted if you guys see anything!

You're right about payments but I'd be throwing at least $10k down so payments wouldn't be too bad. And I'd pay ahead when I have good commission months to minimize interest paid over the life of the loan.

I think you are a little out of date with the TSX and k-series platform. You're right manifold/turbo location isn't the greatest but theres tons of people boosting these cars/engines and laying down 500+hp on stock longblocks consistently. FWD is my biggest killer though, you're right on that. I am playing with the idea of trying to keep the TSX and get it back to "close to straight as possible" and if I do it'll either be pure winter duty or I'll want to try and boost it. I think it'd be sweet to see how long a stock k24a2 with 345k+ miles would last.

There are also numerous other supercharging options that are far better than the comptech kit. If I had an interest in Supercharging I'd look at the Mercracing kit.

Steering feels a little vague at times but honestly the rest of the car is so good I barely notice. Bumps/potholes I would literally cringe in preparation when driving the TSX are handled with grace by the 335. I think I've only hit one bump that made me wince like the TSX did on a regular basis. A small drop with different wheels would go a long way with that car.
Thanks for the comparison!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #269
Update: I've widened my search to include 10-13 BMW X5 M's as well.

I am specifically looking at 13 models due to the LED headlights and being the last model year I HOPE they'd have the least amount of issues. I found a clean black 13 with low miles local but it sold while I was on my way to look at it.

Found another at a dealer in Long Beach who has a black 13 model. I've put in a credit app for it, and as long as the deal is decent I might be flying out next Tuesday to go look at it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Came here searching 2nd gear grind issues and saw your build thread was updated. You would think it would be a lot easier to find a car in the middle of a pandemic! Guess the beamer crowd isn't impacted much. Seems like you're pretty set on replacing the TSX. Any idea what you're gonna do with your rebuilt trans? I'm looking into rebuilding mine or getting a ASP3 Euro R, the 2nd gear grind went from notchy over the years to feeling like it's full of pebbles with a slight crunch sound between driving to work and going out for lunch today :(. I just did brand new OEM Cables, fluids, and HR bushings 6 months ago and a hybrid shifter last week. Even went and got a NSX type R shift knob replica to put the cherry on top. Was enjoying shifting so much and now it makes me sad every time i leave a light.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #272 (Edited)
Came here searching 2nd gear grind issues and saw your build thread was updated. You would think it would be a lot easier to find a car in the middle of a pandemic! Guess the beamer crowd isn't impacted much. Seems like you're pretty set on replacing the TSX. Any idea what you're gonna do with your rebuilt trans? I'm looking into rebuilding mine or getting a ASP3 Euro R, the 2nd gear grind went from notchy over the years to feeling like it's full of pebbles with a slight crunch sound between driving to work and going out for lunch today :(. I just did brand new OEM Cables, fluids, and HR bushings 6 months ago and a hybrid shifter last week. Even went and got a NSX type R shift knob replica to put the cherry on top. Was enjoying shifting so much and now it makes me sad every time i leave a light.
Well it doesn't help that I'm exclusively looking for 2013, black, lower miles X5M's. There weren't a ton to begin with so finding a clean one that doesn't have a ton of owners and also has a decent amount of recorded maintenance is proving to be tricky.

If I part my TSX out the trans will be for sale. TSXclub will get first dibs at everything. The ASP3 Euro R trans is a great option. I would love to have those shorter gears but when I needed a trans I couldn't pass up the deal on this one from Tony.

I seem to flip flop what I want to do every day.. now half of me wants to find another TSX and swap all the goodies over. In a perfect world I could do both - upgrade and get a nice daily and also find a cheap 6speed TSX. Wishful thinking most likely.

261 - 272 of 272 Posts