Acura TSX Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Looking good, dood! If I was in Chicago I'd be at your garage too. Haha
The garage was the biggest selling point of the apartment I'm currently in. I hadn't even seen the unit yet, just the garage set up and I already told the agent to send me an application.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)
This is different from the family shop you used prior? Super sick that it's part of your apartment.
Yes sir, the family shop is 3 hours from Chicago in my hometown. It's the family shop my dad uses to store his antique tractors and other toys. That's the real gem. 80'x120' with a 40'x80' climate controlled shop area/kitchen. Heated floors, insanely good lighting, the drain in the floor, the bendpack lift - doesn't get better than wrenching there.

Kinda can see what I'm working with here:

That said, driving 3 hours to wrench sucks, so I had been looking for a decent garage set up when I went to move this spring. Most garages in Chicago are going to be a parking garage that don't allow any wrenching at all. I actually got written up one time by my old HOA for having my hood popped (I was checking my oil)

So yeah, once I saw the garage and the potential it had (needed cleaned up and better lighting) I was sold on the unit.

Youtube kills the quality but heres a little video of the new set up:

Not shown is the lockable closet I use to keep all my tools/fluid/detail stuff/misc garage stuff.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Haven't done much to the TSX lately due to picking up a new motorcycle. I've been looking for an 06/07 Honda CBR1000RR for awhile that wasn't overpriced. My friend had this bike and it needed some love (lots of love). I really wanted to find something cleaner to start with but the price was right so I picked this up:

Every fairing was cracked, plastidip overspray everywhere, needed a stator, and some major cleaning.

Strip down:

Got my old bike back from my mechanic too. 2 cylinders down on compression :(

My friend gave me a hodge podge of cheap aftermarket fairings and OEM Honda Repsol fairings (albeit in kinda rough shape):

Stator replacement:

Couldn't decide if I wanted to go all black, black/red, or repsol. Decided on black/red:

The bike is an absolute animal. I'd been wanting to upgrade to a Liter bike for awhile from my 600 and I'm so glad I did. It has a larger than stock rear sprocket and will pick the tire up in third unless I'm hugging the tank.

On a more TSX related note - my starter went out (cheap ebay POS, thank god for lifetime warranties) 10 mins later had her yanked out: ,

Fast-forward a week and I see my temp gauge fluctuating and I can smell coolant. I had been thinking my car felt sluggish and I immediately thought "oh shit I'm down a cylinder"

Did a comp test and all cylinders tested out fine.

I then noticed blue coolant on my transmission case. Immediately realized I either pinched or forgot to re-attach a IM/throttle body coolant hose. Sure enough, the hose that sends coolant to the TB had pinched and was leaking. $2 rubber hose and some type-2 coolant and we're back in business.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Congrats on the new bike! I don't ride but a bunch of my friends do and I've always liked the Repsol colors.
Have you ever ridden? Shredding on the bike keeps me from driving like a maniac in the car. Thanks though man, my love for red/black will likely keep me rocking that livery for awhile but since I have a few OEM Repsol fairings I kinda wanna see if I can piece together a full set, but they're getting harder and harder to find and more and more expensive.

The red/black set is replica kit from Auctmarts and I was impressed with the quality so if I can't piece OEM fairings maybe I'll get a second Auctmarts kit.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Gotcha. Crestwood is a suburb of Chicago on the Southside. Near Orland Park, and Tinley Park. The blue bridge looked familiar, that's why I asked.
Not far off - Joe Louis golf course is about 6 miles east. South Halsted st. You're from the chicagoland area?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not far off - Joe Louis golf course is about 6 miles east. South Halsted st. You're from the chicagoland area?
No, I'm from South Western Michigan. I'm just on the other side of the lake from Chicago and have made many trips over there. Would rather a trip to Chicago or Detroit any day of the week 😊

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Haven't done much with the TSX. Installed a new set of fender liners since my car has been spitting out chunks of them more frequently the last few months and winter is right around the corner. This can always be a task with a car with rolled fenders. That and they're not OEM liners so it definitely takes a little massaging to get them to fit.

Also, since my A-Spec side skirts never came with the factory end caps I needed to do something to prevent the side skirts from getting stuffed with slushy salty nasty shit every time I drive in snow. This was a real problem last year and one of my side skirts even popped out and was dragging due to the weight. So, limited on time, I fitted some old license plates as makeshift mud guards. They also help keep the splash down from the tires sticking out the fenders.

Also I'd been meaning to pick up a decent lo-pro jack for awhile since mine at my place is a real POS. Picked this up on sale while I was back in my hometown:

Car hit 340k recently:

Really been more focused on the bike lately:

For the garage:

And since it's snowing today (Halloween) here in Chicago that means my riding season is over so today I winterized the bike and rearranged the garage. Sad..

Hoping for at least 1-2 more nice days where I can pull this baby out before we really get in the thick of winter.. we'll see.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hit those new licence plate mud guards with some flat black spray paint and it would be hard to tell they are even there. Looking great for 340k! I'm about to roll 250k, and I'm stuck in a long phase of replace-a-part... New power steering pump and new radiator goin in tomorrow. Need to replace headliner and front grill, and do something about my failing clear coat.

To aid with the low-pro jack, I have four 2"x10" planks, 3' long that I like to drive up on before lifting. Cheap and helps me get the jack where I want it with less effort. Who needs race ramps....

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
Haha I'm going to leave them as is. I like the random looks people give me when they see them.

Been there, replaced ALOT on this car lol.

I wanted a jack that I'd never have to use boards. I'm spoiled back at home with the Bendpak lift so having to go up on boards to jack the car up wasn't ideal. The jack I have slides under my side skirts with plenty of room to spare.

141 - 156 of 156 Posts