Acura TSX Forum banner

161 - 180 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
The last time I was down in Clearwater, Florida I visited an old del Sol friend from back in the forum days. I'd always loved his car and wanted to see it in person. It was even nicer than I expected.

I've been holding out to find some very specific sized wheels but was presented with a reeeaaally good deal on some Enkei NT03's. Done on the TSX a million times? Yes. But with 225/40 or 215/40/35 whatever. But for the price and considering they came with 245/40 Potenza Re-71r's I decided to finally cave. I had to get off the Accord Sports this year. They're 18x9.5 +40, so I knew the rear would be easy, but the front is going to still need spacers because of the RL calipers.

The pics show no rear spacer, so +40 and a 25mm space up front, so +15. Going to bump down to a 15mm spacer to save 10mm of poke and then add camber from there. This pics has maybe 1* camber so I should be okay to get these inside the fenders.

Had to pull the passenger seat to fit them all.

After hosing down all the salt and slush and unloading them:

Compared to the 235/45r18 and Accord Sports:

As we can see, with the 25mm spacers I can definitely afford to come in a bit.

Thank god because as I knew it would be, it is mexiflush as is.

So I'll need to drop down to a 15mm spacer and see where that gets me and play with the ride height/add camber from there. The rear actually needs to be lowered a bit and I can actually take some camber out to flush them up.

Already looking into getting them coated a different color. Most likely the brightest red possible lol.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Nice dood! Yeah, 15mm spacer and add some camber will be perfect. Are they hella sunk in without the 25mm spacer?
The rear is showing no spacer, so +40. Wouldn't know on the front. They won't clear the RL calipers with no spacer. I don't wanna be using a spacer at all but with this spec I have to.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Nice dood! Yeah, 15mm spacer and add some camber will be perfect. Are they hella sunk in without the 25mm spacer?
The rear is showing no spacer, so +40. Wouldn't know on the front. They won't clear the RL calipers with no spacer. I don't wanna be using a spacer at all but with this spec I have to.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
FWIW, I run a 15mm spacer on the front of my TSX to even out the offset with the rear. The downside is that you have to take apart your knuckles and replace your studs.
I have a set of bolt on 15mm spacers coming that are going to be REALLY close to not fitting. I'm worried about the lug studs hitting the back of the rim as the back of the NT03 doesn't offer alot of room.

If I have to go with a slide on spacer and ARP extended studs then so be it but I just did wheel bearings so I'd prefer to not have to do them again. We will see how it all goes together.

The reason nt03's have been done so much, is because it looks so good. I thought about doing the same on my car, before buying my Oz's.
Yeah they were hard to pass up let me tell you. Already got a quote to get them powdercoated. Will likely run them as is a bit and then have the tires flipped around from side to side when I go to have the wheels coated.

Has anyone ever run the Federal RS-RR? It's a cheap sticky tire that I've heard runs really fat. I've read the 245 is essentially a 260 so thinking their 245/35 would be ideal whenever these RE-71r's wear out.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
As expected, using 15mm bolt on spacers leaves some of the lug stud sticking out and unfortunately it hits the back of the rim preventing it from seating evenly.The nuts are a nice low profile design and they don't interfere - just the studs.

So my options would be:
1) tear the hubs out and install ARP extended studs/new wheel bearings/and slip on 15mm spacers - more $$ than I wanted to spend right now
2) cut a few MM of the wheel studs.
3) Find someone with a pair of +27 rims to swap for a pair of my +40 and then maybe use like a 3mm spacer - could be hard in this area
4) Go with 20mm spacers - not ideal cause 15mm seems to be the number.

I thought idea #2 was super sketchy but after a google search I see just about every "kind" of enthusiast has done it before. I also JUST bought new wheel bearings and hubs so I really don't want to re-do it all. Hindsight I woulda added ARP studs back then but alas. Idea #3 sounds ideal but that might not ever happen locally.

Have you guys ever cut wheel studs before? I see CCColsticehockey did it on the rear on his TSX for awhile: CCColtsicehockey build thread - The Rebirth

15mm spacers puts the rim/tire right where I want it. Just a little camber and it'd be good to go.

About to order a $15 grinder from harbor freight and chop a few MM off these suckers..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I've never cut wheel studs off before but if I was in your situation I would. Worst case scenario, you take your hubs apart and install new bearings and ARP studs later.

Sucks the NT03s don't have rear facing cut-outs.
That's my thought process as well. If/when I find wheels I really want to keep that don't require a spacer I can always go back and added extended studs then. I always thought the backside of these wheels would have more space on the rear end of the rim, def surprised to see it as shallow as it is.

Ordered a cheap grinder and some cut off wheels from harbor freight. Consider these studs cut.

·
-
1,575 Posts
You mentioned that the studs are only a few mm too long?

I wonder if drilling a slightly oversize divots in the back of the wheel to clear the studs is an option.
Only a few mm deep.
A CNC controlled drill press with a bed would be best but even a drill press with the wheel/tire secure.
I wouldn't want to try this with a hand drill at all.

A divot just a few mm deep wouldn't compromise the used wheel.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Let's go! I want to see your car with the wheels bolted and camber dialed.
It won't be dialed in/cambered where I need it til the spring when I go to actually mount them for the season. Stuck in winter mode still. But once the grinder comes in I'll be cutting. ,

It's gonna be SUPER tight as I don't want to cut off too much of the stud for fear I won't have enough stud left when using my 25mm spacers on the sports. I suppose if I had to drop down to a 20mm spacer when using the sports I could, but I'm wanting to keep the 25mm spacers I have ideally. I'll have to play with it but hopefully I have more than 6 full lug nut rotations after cutting the studs.

You mentioned that the studs are only a few mm too long?

I wonder if drilling a slightly oversize divots in the back of the wheel to clear the studs is an option.
Only a few mm deep.
A CNC controlled drill press with a bed would be best but even a drill press with the wheel/tire secure.
I wouldn't want to try this with a hand drill at all.

A divot just a few mm deep wouldn't compromise the used wheel.

Just a thought...
I also thought of that too but the idea of drilling the wheels seems sketchier to me than cutting the studs. I don't know anywhere to find a controlled CNC press big enough to fit a wheel in and I definitely wouldn't want to attempt this myself with a drill/bit. The problem is one of the cut outs on the back of the rim is smaller than the rest (not depth but length x width) and the stud actually hits the wall of the cut outs. I should have taken a pic but seeing that one alone made me realize drilling the cut outs in the wheel wouldnt be an option. I'd be cutting into too much material of the wheel via the wall of the cut out I'd think.

·
J-Spec
372 Posts
You'll have to update your avatar with the new wheels. :)

There is a thread on *****zine of wheels that clear the TL Brembo calipers
that you should check out. You may find some other wheels that work with
the RL calipers, which I'm sure aren't any bulkier than the TL calipers.

Check out some of the Enkei Tuning Series wheels. They all seem to be
designed similarly regarding the spoke to caliper clearance. I have the
TS-10s now and had the TX5s previously. Both cleared the Brembos
without spacers (17x9 +45).

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
You'll have to update your avatar with the new wheels. :)

There is a thread on *****zine of wheels that clear the TL Brembo calipers
that you should check out. You may find some other wheels that work with
the RL calipers, which I'm sure aren't any bulkier than the TL calipers.

Check out some of the Enkei Tuning Series wheels. They all seem to be
designed similarly regarding the spoke to caliper clearance. I have the
TS-10s now and had the TX5s previously. Both cleared the Brembos
without spacers (17x9 +45).

These were not wheels I ever was dying to own, but I found them for a steal locally so it was hard to pass up.

I know of a number of wheels that will clear RL's. The struggle is having a wheel I find visually pleasing that clears the calipers without poking a ton. If I could run these at the +40 as is and they'd clear I'd love it. I'd jump up to a 255 or 265 tire if I could tuck more of the rim in but alas I have to compromise somewhere.

I can tell by looking at both of those wheels you listed they'd be BBK friendly. I'll make this set up work though, and I think it'll be worth the effort to keep the beefier 245/40 tires vs what everyone does with a 225/40, 215/40, 225/35.

Just picked up a full set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport's in 245/40r18 easily 75% life for $50 so now I've got a back up set of tires for when these RE-71R's are shot. Can't wait to get these fitted and get the car re-aligned!

·
J-Spec
372 Posts
I have RE-71Rs now. Very nice performance tire.

CL9s look better with wheels that have more spokes.
I had TE-37s a couple years back and didn't like them
as much as my TS-10s, so I sold them. Also, they only
had about 0.5mm of clearance between the wheel and
caliper, which made me very uncomfortable.

FYI, 17" wheels actually do a better job of clearing the
calipers. It's because of the inside radius of the spokes
close to the hub. 18" wheels have a more gradual sweep
and ends up reducing clearance close to the hub. If you
could move your calipers further out, then you might be
able to run those wheels without spacers. Of course,
you would need larger rotors and different caliper brackets.
Might be worth investigating if you really like those wheels.

My TX5s went on my TL when I got the TS-10s:

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I have RE-71Rs now. Very nice performance tire.

CL9s look better with wheels that have more spokes.
I had TE-37s a couple years back and didn't like them
as much as my TS-10s, so I sold them. Also, they only
had about 0.5mm of clearance between the wheel and
caliper, which made me very uncomfortable.

FYI, 17" wheels actually do a better job of clearing the
calipers. It's because of the inside radius of the spokes
close to the hub. 18" wheels have a more gradual sweep
and ends up reducing clearance close to the hub. If you
could move your calipers further out, then you might be
able to run those wheels without spacers. Of course,
you would need larger rotors and different caliper brackets.
Might be worth investigating if you really like those wheels.
I've never run them so I'm excited to see how they feel.

.5mm clearance!! Wow that'd make me nervous too as I know even the strongest wheels can flex. I'm aiming for 1-2mm clearance at least. What were the specs on those te-37s? I agree the TS-10's look better.

Well sadly at some point I want to switch up to Genesis brembo calipers solely because they're freakin huge. But with that I think they also need more room than the RL's which would make this 18x9.5 poke way too far for me. So if I ever do switch up brakes I'd likely have to go a different route with wheels too. That's down the road though. Still alot of life in this RL set up.

·
J-Spec
372 Posts
The TE-37s were 17x8.5 +45.

When I said "further out", I meant radially, as in further from the center of the circle.
If you are going to run 18" wheels, then you can do that. FYI, the FK8 Brembo calipers
use the same size pads as the TL Brembos, even though the part numbers are different.
Might be a better option than the Genesis Brembos.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
The TE-37s were 17x8.5 +45.

When I said "further out", I meant radially, as in further from the center of the circle.
If you are going to run 18" wheels, then you can do that. FYI, the FK8 Brembo calipers
use the same size pads as the TL Brembos, even though the part numbers are different.
Might be a better option than the Genesis Brembos.
Ah I see what you mean. Seems like alot of change for minimal gains in clearance. I also don't doubt the FK8 brembos would be a better option but price and availability eliminate running those for me. Would only look to change to genesis brembos if I could do the whole kit under the cost of what I could sell my RL set up or close to it.

161 - 180 of 241 Posts