Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a mod I did solely for safety reasons. I bought a module that runs the front turn signal bulbs as DRL (daytime running lights). The reason I prefer it over high beam DRL is because the turn bulbs are cheaper to replace. Also, in terms of optics, the front turn signal compartment happens to be very well suited for a DRL application. They are big, wide, and noticeable lamps... much brighter than side markers. Lastly, yes they are legal. Several people have asked me this already... yes they are legal in the US.

DRL-1 Daytime Running Lamp Module Installation

(the included quick-splicers were properly discarded of)

When I turn the ignition on, after 3 seconds or so, the front directionals turn on as DRL. Only the turn signals are lit up in this pic. The HIDs are really off, but the camera flash sort of makes them look lit up (the turn DRLs and HIDs won't work together even if I try).

I can run these with my 1/2 strength high beams (if I chose to turn them on). I really don't use both at once, but I can. Again, note that the low beams are OFF- the camera flash makes it look on.

The turn sig DRLs are automatically disabled when the parklights are turned on

The blinking functions (turn signal/hazard) still work as they did originally. People have asked me if they still blink. Of course they do... they're turn signals. They're turn signals and DRLs now. So take a look at a quick video of how they operate. This is all automatic.

(the person's head is covered to hide identity, that's all haha)

^^As you see in the vid, they start with the car. They are delayed for a few seconds to stop them from flickering while passing ON to START for cranking. You also notice in the video that one turn signal shuts off while the other blinks- there is a safety reason for why it does that: another driver can think you're turning the other way if the other bulb stays on while the relevant one blinks.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it would hurt anything, but with this module it is possible to run the side mirror blinker LEDs instead of the front bulbs. I've heard people ask about that before on acura forums. I'll show how to do it using this module later.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Installation: the module comes with exact instructions and extra wire, and its actually very easy to do. So I'm just posting pictures of the way I did it to show the specific places to tap in our car, etc. The thing to remember about this installation in terms of wire tapping is to simply splice into the various functions regardless of location. So for ex, their diagram shows the parklight and turn signal both share the same bulb, but our car uses two separate bulbs. This doesn't matter- just splice each function, and it works the same.

The module has 8 wires sticking out. Before installing it, I had to find out how much current each of these wires will run. The yellow wire will draw as much as both bulbs together (about 4.6A eyeball estimate), so I used a relay to switch the yellow wire instead of connecting directly to the ignition circuit. The company's instructions say to go ahead and connect directly, but I won't risk it. Next, the wires that connect to the turn signal bulbs' wires obviously run as much current as one turn bulb (about 2.3A). The other wires run only tiny bits for control switching.

So here's how I set it up. The only differences between my way and the company's instructions are 1) I used a relay to get power directly from the battery for the bulbs, and 2) I grounded the green wire to the frame instead of connecting to a turn bulb's ground wire (a ground is a ground).

I mounted the module here under the fusebox. I pointed out the bolt. This bolt holds the module in place as well as acts as the ground.

The relay was mounted here next to the ones I mounted for my last mod (1/2 strength high beams).

Then the wire tapping was cake. Three wires ran to the other side to tap the turn bulb wires and parklight bulb wire. I just ran them with my halo wires in the same heat-resistant currogated tubing.

For power, I hooked relay terminal 30 to the battery terminal screw in the fusebox. This is a high output terminal for high loads like DRL. I used an o-ring soldered onto a blade fuse holder with a 7.5A fuse.

You can also see the 3 relays in the pic above (only one is for this mod). Just showing where I mount them on the airbox (a good tucked away spot).

For the ignition-ON input, I hooked terminal 86 of the relay (coil) to a black/yellow wire that plugs into the underside of the underhood fusebox. It is hot-in-ON and comes directly from underdash fuse#30 to power things like the radiator fan, A/C condensor fan, etc. I also used this wire to power the relays in my 1/2 strength high beam mod- same wire.

With this module, you can also run the side LED mirror blinkers too instead of the front bulbs. Its pretty much the same thing except for two different wires. I'll show how to do this later.

·
dynamite
534 Posts
+1 pretty cool install
i just run my fogs as my DRLs but might think of investing in this since i think DRLs actually do what theyre supposed to do..make others aware of you..haha

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Side Mirror Blinker Version

I've seen people ask before on TSX forums about running the side mirror blinkers as DRL, so using this module would be a way to do it. If you substitute the front blinkers' wires with the side mirror-blinkers' wires, then obviously it would work the same as mine except the side LEDs, instead of the front bulbs, would run.

I just can't guarantee the side blinkers can handle constant running. I don't know for absolute sure because I didn't do it this way. So this is for you to determine if you want to do this mod. Its likely alright, but I have to cover myself. I'm not responsible for undesirable consequences. Remember that I'm assuming this works based on generalizing from my front bulb install. Has anyone ever run the side blinkers before?

Anyway, like I said, to run the side blinkers, you'll have to use the side blinkers' wires instead of the front blinkers' wires... that's it. However, unlike my install, its probably easier to find these wires in the cabin rather than in the engine bay, so you'll just mount the module and do the wiring under the dash. Finding a place to mount the module and the relay is your job. For this, you won't have to run wires through the firewall. All the functions are available inside.

The module comes with instructions, but they're for generally any make/model. So I'm showing where to find them in an 06 TSX.

LEFT SIDE TURN SIGNAL: MODULE'S PINK and PURPLE WIRES
The module's pink and purple wires connect to the LEFT LED mirror blinker's + wire (red/blue) shown below

RIGHT SIDE TURN SIGNAL: MODULE'S RED and BROWN WIRES:
The module's red and brown wires connect to the RIGHT LED mirror blinker's + wire (brown) shown below. Be careful to pay attention to which side of this plug is the male and female. It matters.

How to get behind the glovebox is on my unfinished LED stuff here
Front Footwells LEDs with Door Trigger Wires (Write-Up) - TSXClub.com Forums

^^I'm not sure how hard it is to reach these wires. I only did the front bulbs, so I wouldn't know. Its on you.

MODULE'S BLUE WIRE:
Splice it into a wire that gets + when the parklights are on. Inside the cabin, just use the cubby light or glovebox light + wire (its red/black).

MODULE'S GREEN and WHITE WIRES:
Just ground them. Connect to the frame, a grounding post, the ACC socket's black wire, the cubby light's black wire, the glovebox light's black wire... all will work the same.

MODULE'S YELLOW WIRE:
This needs to be a + that is switched on/off with the ignition. Connect to terminal-87 of the relay.

IGNITION INPUT:
Use the accessory socket + wire (white/red) to power the + side of the relay's coil. Ground the ground side of the coil just like I said about the module's green and white wires... frame works. Actually, the ACC socket is probably able to handle it without the relay, but I'd personally use it anyway. To do away with the relay, connect the yellow module wire directly to the ACC socket + wire.

POWER:
For the 'constant +' connection in the diagram, tapping underdash fuse#3 with an add-a-circuit seems to be suitable because it powers the stock Canadian high beam DRLs. This is what makes me figure that its safe to run two turn signal bulbs from it instead. But in general, you need a source that can handle the current both blinkers draw and what you fuse with (7.5A).

That's it. This will light up the side blinkers as DRL, and they will act just like my front bulbs do as seen in the video I posted. By the way, this info comes from the 06 electrical manual.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,

How Much is the normal DRL module? (not the mirror one)

I Put Hid for my High beams and now i don't have any DRL since you can't turn on the hid at 50%, and that would blind others even if the hid are at 50%.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the front turn signals rewired as DRLs 3 years ago. Today I just tried the same mod on the side mirror blinkers, and they also work. Thanks TSXFiles for the wiring diagram for the side blinkers.

[/IMG]

·
Retired Tsx Owner
3,174 Posts
at least you're the 1st person whom i see doing this..

but, it's going to be weird like that tho.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tookie, it looks really good on PWP. Did you use the same module I did from Stern, or did you use your own design with relays? Just wondering

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tookie, it looks really good on PWP. Did you use the same module I did from Stern, or did you use your own design with relays? Just wondering
Thanks. Yah I used the same DRL-1 module. placed the module in behind the glovebox. Striping the blinkers' wires was the toughest 'cus the available wire length to work with is so limited. I had no idea where to find a hot wire in the cabin, so I ran it through the firewall and tapped to the one i know under the hood.

at least you're the 1st person whom i see doing this..

but, it's going to be weird like that tho.
Yeh, it's probably not for everyone. my tsx probably looks like a christmas tree on the road. hah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey TSXFiles, I wanted to ask if you have changed your front signal bulbs to LEDs since you rewired as DRL. When I did my front signals, they worked for like a week or so then one of them just stopped working. I pulled out the bulbs and found that the bulb housing has burned and melted because the bulbs got so hot. I guess the stock housing is not meant to take all that heat from being on all the time. After that I had to switch out the stock bulbs for LEDs. They've been working fine ever since.

Somebody in one of the forums said that the stock side mirror blinkers are LEDs, is that correct? hopefully i wont have to change them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and found that the bulb housing has burned and melted
Thanks for mentioning this! I just checked mine too, and there is minor burning on the socket's tip (pic below). I've been running these since July, so it doesn't look too severe for 4 months worth. The worst case is that I'll need to check a lot and replace the sockets periodically. This could reverse the gains I make by running the turn signal bulbs for DRL instead of the more expensive high beam bulbs.. dang

I wanted to ask if you have changed your front signal bulbs to LEDs since you rewired as DRL.
With safety oriented lights, such as turn signals, I won't use LED bulbs in incand assemblies because of the optics. But switching to LED bulbs will certainly run much cooler. Personally, I wouldn't do it, but its definitely a solution to the heat

Somebody in one of the forums said that the stock side mirror blinkers are LEDs, is that correct? hopefully i wont have to change them.
Yes, the side mirror blinkers certainly are LEDs- 5 in each mirror. So you very likely won't have to worry about melting the assembly by running them.

Also, I just wanted to ask... if you used the DRL-1 module, why are the blinkers still running with the low beams on (in your 2nd pic above)? Did you leave out the parklight input? Just wondering cause mine shut off when the parklights are turned on.

This is the best pic I could get, but you can see the browning on the tip of the socket. No melting or changing shape on mine, just some brown

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, I just wanted to ask... if you used the DRL-1 module, why are the blinkers still running with the low beams on (in your 2nd pic above)? Did you leave out the parklight input? Just wondering cause mine shut off when the parklights are turned on.
Correct. I didn't hook it to the parklight so they don't turn off when parklights are on. So i guess technically they're not really DRLs.

·
Dallas,TX
326 Posts
My god tsxfiles... your obsessed with lighting LMAO

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm curious about this install of this. I'd like to set up my front blinkers as DRLs, but I don't want to melt the socket or housing. Any long term updates?

If I convert to LEDs, I guess I need load resistors to eliminate hyperflash, right? Any problem with those things staying hot for extended periods of time?

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Would this also work on a 2004 tsx MT?
Cmon guys stop making fun of the noob :rollsmile

well it all depends if your 2004 MT has the blue or the violet halogen cooling fluid and the flux capacitor solenoids. If you have the blue fluid you should switch it to the violet and also make sure the flux capacitor has the 1.2 gigawatt fuse in it :rofl:

YES IT WOULD WORK IN 2004 MT TSX :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts