Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent this morning replacing my brakes and when I was doing the final corner, I decided to whip out the camera and contribute to the community since I didn't see a write-up in the DIY/FAQ section.

What you need:
Adjustable or 17mm wrench
12mm socket
3" or longer extension
Rear Caliper Piston Reset Tool (can be rented at most auto parts stores)
New Pads
6 Pack of your favorite beer, I recommend Shiner Bock :)

I labeled each picture with a reference number in the upper left corner to help follow the steps in this tutorial.

Obviously, you need to jack the car up and remove the tire before starting, so we will pick up from there.

Step 1:
Locate the 2 bolts holding the caliper in position and have your wrench and socket ready

Step 2:
Apply your adjustable wrench to the inner nut and apply the socket to the end of the bolt. While holding the wrench, use the socket to loosen the bolt.

Step 3:
Same as step 2, except a 3" extension is need due to the caliper shape.

Step 4:
Once the two bolts are removed, gently wiggle the caliper off and set it on the surrounding suspension components. Pull the pads off.

Step 5:
IMPORTANT: Make sure to match the new pads to the old pads, and that the clips are on the correct side.
Insert the new pads into place and grab your caliper reset tool.

Step 6:
IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE A C-CLAMP ON REAR CALIPERS!!
Notice that the piston has a x in the middle of it, those grooves are used reset the piston.

Step 7:
Find the right size insert for the reset tool and insert it into position inside the caliper and adjust the tool so it fits snug inside the caliper.

Step 8:
Apply your adjustable wrench to the reset tool's adjuster nut. While spinning the wing clockwise, turn the wrench counter-clockwise until the piston is pushed far enough into the caliper to fit around the new pads.
IMPORTANT: Make sure the boot that surrounds the piston isn't twisted or torn before re-attaching.

Step 9:
Work your way backwards from step 3 to complete.

·
What to put here?
1,990 Posts
Thanks for a good write up. How much does it cost to rent the reset tool?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for a good write up. How much does it cost to rent the reset tool?
Thanks! I got the tool from O'Reillys and it cost $54.99, so its not cheap.. but you get it back when return the tool.

As for the calipers, I plan on painting them but All I had was hi-temp engine spray paint in red, but wasn't sure if I wanted red or not. I think I will wait until its warmer outside as well, when I am lowering the car.

·
iVTEC no koe
1,913 Posts
nice write up...what is the piston reset tool needed for?
Unlike the front calipers (that retract back in from direct force), the rear calipers' pistons require you to turn and push in. This tool makes it easier.

There are cheaper (not so convenient) alternatives:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis28600.html

Or, you could just use a large slot screwdriver/vise grip and opening it about 1.5inches to push and turn.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unlike the front calipers (that retract back in from direct force), the rear calipers' pistons require you to turn and push in. This tool makes it easier.

There are cheaper (not so convenient) alternatives:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/lis28600.html

Or, you could just use a large slot screwdriver/vise grip and opening it about 1.5inches to push and turn.
The cube reset tool will work fine with a socket, but does require more effort than this loaner tool and you actually have to purchase it.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
thanks for the write-up. it' excellent.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good DIY! This should be in the DIY section, I found it by searching. I'll be changing my pads for the first time. Do you use a c-clamp for the front piston? DSM, do you have the p/n for that tool you're using? Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Humm, I did mine without the Fancy Tools.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have another question: after you change the pads, do the pistons rotate so the notch from the pad will fit into the piston slot or do I need to manually fit it in? Thanks

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have another question: after you change the pads, do the pistons rotate so the notch from the pad will fit into the piston slot or do I need to manually fit it in? Thanks
for the rear brakes only, you rotate them UNTIL the pistons fit over the notch! it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
for the rear brakes only, you rotate them UNTIL the pistons fit over the notch! it's a no brainer.

I just did my rear pads, one thing initially concerned me was the notch on the pad lining up to the caliper X. However, I believe that the caliper wont slide over the new pads no matter how far pushed in they are unless the groove mates with the notch.

Is this true?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks did my brakes this afternoon!! I saved alot of money, the dealership was going to charge me 250 for the rears and 250 for the fronts! I did them both for 95.00! very good pictures and explaning!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts