Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use 87 for mine.. I don't see why 91/93 really matters. I also noticed less gas mileage out of the 91/93 when I filled up on those a few times.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I use 87 for mine.. I don't see why 91/93 really matters. I also noticed less gas mileage out of the 91/93 when I filled up on those a few times.
I'm not so sure that your fuel economy would worsen with the 91/93, after all the engine was designed to run on the higher octane because of it's higher compression ratio.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
93 - preferred
91 - i noticed that the engine "knocks" sometimes
87 - never used
How do you have engine detonation/premature ignition spark using the octane required for optimal performance on the car?

Either your car is running super lean or the pumps you go to don't offer the octane they advertise.

·
Premium Member
3,260 Posts
seriously u guys... if you guys dont want to use 91+ then theres no point of buying a car that runs 91. You guys knew what you guys were up against when buying the tsx. The engine was designed to run 91+ because of high compression. if u guys want to run anything lower then go for it. It ain't my car.

93 - preferred
91 - i noticed that the engine "knocks" sometimes
87 - never used
cali only has 91 :O

·
Registered
62 Posts
seriously u guys... if you guys dont want to use 91+ then theres no point of buying a car that runs 91. You guys knew what you guys were up against when buying the tsx. The engine was designed to run 91+ because of high compression. if u guys want to run anything lower then go for it. It ain't my car.

cali only has 91 :O
Agreed, if the relatively minor extra expense of premium fuel mattered that much to me, but I wanted/needed something close to the TSX, I would surely own a Honda Accord instead... just my $.02 though...:squint:

·
Registered
87 Posts
doesnt the accord take in 91 also?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hahah ey. to each his own!!

but i read that regular gas can give you better miles per gallon, than compared to premium. Idk but can someone prove this theory? Quote:

Cylanth
Registered Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: (0)

4cyl TSX: Regular vs Premium fuel
With the 4 cylinder TSX, you have the option to use Regular or Premium fuel. According to the manual and to the gas cap, Premium is "recommended", but NOT required. A big distinction.

I always read that Premium fuel will give you better performance and mileage. I wanted to test this out for myself. I drove two weeks with both fuel types. Exact same route every day to work.

With Premium Fuel, I got 26.4 mpg. With Regular, I got 27.5 mpg.

Obviously, there may be some factors that I am not considering, but overall, I got BETTER mileage with Regular, with no real noticeable decrease in performance.

Since Premium is not required for this type of engine, I will probably just use Regular from now on.

Can anybody else validate or refute this data?

·
Live life supercharged!
598 Posts
"With the 4 cylinder TSX, you have the option to use Regular or Premium fuel. According to the manual and to the gas cap, Premium is "recommended", but NOT required. A big distinction."

this is a retarded thread. THERE IS A PREMIUM FUEL ONLY STICKER ON THE GAS TANK!! STOP SPREADING FALSE MISINFORMATION!!!!!

i wish i had my smartphone to take a picture of it and upload it.

as elegantly quoted by socalitrojan:

By the way, the engine calls for premium because it is a high compression engine. Octane levels basically indicate how easily the fuel ignites. Compression of a fluid, including gas, causes it to heat up. Fuels with lower octane levels are easier to ignite, and may ignite on itself without a spark from the spark plug (compressed to a certain point, heat from the cylinder walls, etc). This is called pre-ignition, and you'll hear the engine knock or ping. By using premium fuel (higher octane levels), the fuel can be compressed and ignited at the proper time (when the spark plug sparks).

As mentioned before, the car is smart enough to make adjustments when regular fuel is used. The manufacturer, in order to not steer customers away, now says that regular fuel can be used (when premium used to be required). However, they don't say that the car will have sub-par performance and decreased mpg's if you don't follow their recommendations. If you want to use regular fuel and have sub-par performance and lower mpg's, it might be a better financial decision to switch to a car that was designed for regular fuel so that you can use that car's engine to its maximum potential.

mayuga or another mod, please lock this thread. this has been beaten to death over the years.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Cylanth
Registered Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: (0)

4cyl TSX: Regular vs Premium fuel
With the 4 cylinder TSX, you have the option to use Regular or Premium fuel. According to the manual and to the gas cap, Premium is "recommended", but NOT required. A big distinction.

I always read that Premium fuel will give you better performance and mileage. I wanted to test this out for myself. I drove two weeks with both fuel types. Exact same route every day to work.

With Premium Fuel, I got 26.4 mpg. With Regular, I got 27.5 mpg.

Obviously, there may be some factors that I am not considering, but overall, I got BETTER mileage with Regular, with no real noticeable decrease in performance.

Since Premium is not required for this type of engine, I will probably just use Regular from now on.

Can anybody else validate or refute this data?
he forgot to mention that with Premium gas he was on VTAAAAKK!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How do you have engine detonation/premature ignition spark using the octane required for optimal performance on the car?

Either your car is running super lean or the pumps you go to don't offer the octane they advertise.
have to correct myself:

94 - preferred
91 - used as recommended
89 - that's when the "knocking" is
87 - never used

hope this clears everything

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to revive thread but why do you guys support 91 octane so much? What's so different about the TSX from a Honda Accord & CRV which uses the exact same K24 and same ECU but does not say 91 octane ????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts