Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I was looking at my rear rotors the other day and I've noticed that on the left one there was a "shiny strip" closer to the hub. As if the pad was mostly touching the rotor with only a thin band of its area. Pictures are here with the right rear rotor for comparison TSX uneven rotor wear - Imgur

I've had a history with that left rotor. Last year when I went for on-the-car wheel balancing, the mechanic told me that when he applied the brakes when balancing the left rear wheel, he could feel pulsations. The brakes were at the end of their lifetime so I've replaced all pads and rotors. A little of pulsation under braking persisted, and next time I was at the balancing shop, there was still vibration coming from the left rear when braking. When I was replacing the pads/rotors, I've noticed that the piston seals in the rear was ripped and there was sand around the piston. I figured that there might be an issue with it not retracting properly, so I've put on new rear calipers. Pulsation persisted. It's hard to diagnose, as at some times it feels stronger than others. Only noticeable on the highway under heavy braking. I tried pulling on the e-brake when going fast and seemed to have felt the vibration. Now I see this "wear strip" on the rear left rotor and can't help but think that it's somehow related. I've tried measuring the rotor run-out with a clamping micro-meter, but couldn't find a good way due to rotors being slotted (any suggestions here?).

Any thoughts/ insights are appreciated.

·
Registered
422 Posts
not sure if this is even possible with slotted rotors.. but it sounds like rotors are not even.

i'd get an on-car brake lathe done. regular resurfacing doesn't take into account the individual car's bearings, wheel movements and such. i used to have crazy pulsating at freeway speeds albeit on oem rotors. had on-car brake lathe done at dealer and i've been nearly 50,000 mile trouble free on the oem's.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.