1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if there is a way to modify the keyless remote/security system
so pressing "Unlock" on the remote ONCE unlocks ALL 4 doors instead of
just the driver-side.

This is annoying the heck out of me....out the car...walks over to the passenger sides...door locked.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I believe it was designed as a safety issue for those who are alone so no one could enter the car on tha pass. side. Personally I like the way it is.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Hmmm...I prefer the way it is.. Not really any point since I'm the only one getting in my car.. Plus it prevents the gremlins from getting in my pass side door too :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I don't have much of a problem with it....all I do is press twice to unlock all doors. I think its a safety feature that allows one press and it opens the drivers side, which is good I guess.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Our version unlocks all doors and locks all doors with the click of one button, no such silly consessions in place.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I see both sides of the issue. :D

Usually I'd prefer it to be how RTG wants it.
No, I'd ALWAYS prefer it his way, or at least always so far.

But yeah, I can imagine that "some time, some day" the other way might be useful, like if I was being chased by a real stupid guy who was coming probably from the passenger side of the car and ran a lot slower than I do, so I'd do one click and hop into the driver seat while he was desperately lunging for one of the other doors, which of course would be locked because I only clicked "once." Unless of course, because of my haste and panic, I nervously clicked "twice" by accident with my trembling fingers, in which case I'd be dead. But usually yeah, I'd click just once and that stupid guy......Ah, forget it.

Hmmm. How exactly is this a "safety feature"? :donno:

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CL9 K24a said:
Our version unlocks all doors and locks all doors with the click of one button, no such silly consessions in place.
Oh, really ?! CA TSX version eh, that's interesting.
I guess that means it should be easily convertible,...maybe just one single part
thanks

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
Oh, really ?! CA TSX version eh, that's interesting.
I guess that means it should be easily convertible,...maybe just one single part
I don't think you can assume this means it's easily convertible.
I'd guess it's not. Then again it depends what you mean by "easily."

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
Hmmm. How exactly is this a "safety feature"? :donno:
Look at it this way... if you're getting into your car in a parking lot, someone can easily walk up and just get into one of the doors on the passenger side of the car. You probably don't think it's a big deal, but think about it from a woman's point of view.

I don't think it's a big deal to press the unlock button twice.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sjlee said:
Look at it this way... if you're getting into your car in a parking lot, someone can easily walk up and just get into one of the doors on the passenger side of the car. You probably don't think it's a big deal, but think about it from a woman's point of view.

I don't think it's a big deal to press the unlock button twice.
Good point, I guess. But I never heard of anything like that happening. Not that I know the mind of the criminal that well, but I thought that almost always what would happen is they'd come up right behind you, not from the other direction. But yes, I see what you mean.

About it being easy to just press the unlock button twice:
I don't think this has been mentioned on any of the sites, but it's NOT that easy! At least not to me. If I just press it twice, very often I must be missing one of the hits, because only the driver door opens. So, I've gotten into the habit of pressing it repeatedly, like 4 or 5 times, whenever I'm opening the car. That usually does it. :D

I wonder if anybody else has found that just a "double-click" often doesn't work.

If nobody else has had a problem, I think it would just be that from playing piano, I'm used to quick finger movements which are too quick for this button.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
larchmont said:
About it being easy to just press the unlock button twice:
I don't think this has been mentioned on any of the sites, but it's NOT that easy! At least not to me. If I just press it twice, very often I must be missing one of the hits, because only the driver door opens. So, I've gotten into the habit of pressing it repeatedly, like 4 or 5 times, whenever I'm opening the car. That usually does it. :D

I wonder if anybody else has found that just a "double-click" often doesn't work.

If nobody else has had a problem, I think it would just be that from playing piano, I'm used to quick finger movements which are too quick for this button.
WORD, that's exactly why I was asking.

You really need 2 SOLID, FULL DEEP presses with a slight PAUSE in between to have the other doors unlocked. That's what seems to me.

That's why I am bitching.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Please, you guys are complaining about insignificant stuff. My wife's Cavalier has the same type of thing... you press the unlock button once, only the driver's door gets unlocked... you press it twice... all the doors get unlocked. Yes, I agree that sometimes it takes a few extra presses, but is it really that hard?

I bet you guys also think it's hard double-clicking on your computer. Maybe you should drive around in a car with manual locks for a while to bring you back into perspective. :)

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
agree....on that note I swear I will not bitch if we have another HUGE oil embargo
and we all stop driving for a while
We get more excercise & let enviorment take a break

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
sjlee said:
Please, you guys are complaining about insignificant stuff. My wife's Cavalier has the same type of thing... you press the unlock button once, only the driver's door gets unlocked... you press it twice... all the doors get unlocked. Yes, I agree that sometimes it takes a few extra presses, but is it really that hard?

I bet you guys also think it's hard double-clicking on your computer. Maybe you should drive around in a car with manual locks for a while to bring you back into perspective. :)

LMAO!! Yeah, every car that I've owned that's had this "double click" ability has had the same problem. You have to click once, wait, click again. Never bothered me enough to complain tho. As an aside, my boss bought a new Ford F150 pickup....cost him right around $25K. He doesn't have power locks or windows! $25 grand for a freakin pickup, and you have to reach across the seat to roll the passenger window down with a hand crank! Ludicrous. Ford is just printing money with those trucks in that price range.

Fergie

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ferg said:
LMAO!! Yeah, every car that I've owned that's had this "double click" ability has had the same problem. You have to click once, wait, click again. Never bothered me enough to complain tho.
Why would you have to click once, then click again? Why wouldn't you just double-click immediately if you want to unlock all the doors?

·
Guitar and Amp Junkie
465 Posts
sjlee said:
Why would you have to click once, then click again? Why wouldn't you just double-click immediately if you want to unlock all the doors?

Isn't that the definition of a double-click....click once then click again.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yeah -- we're not talking about waiting a significant amount of time, just that you can't do the 2 clicks real real fast or else only 1 will register.

·
Registered
954 Posts
larchmont said:
Yeah -- we've covered it in this thread. We're not talking about "waiting" a significant amount of time, just that you can't do the 2 clicks real real fast, or else only 1 will register.
That's weird, because I usually don't have to consciously think about pausing when unlocking the doors.

Just to make sure, I press it a bunch of times as I'm walking up to the car.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
sjlee said:
.....Just to make sure, I press it a bunch of times as I'm walking up to the car.
Yeah, that's exactly what I said I do also.

And I'm getting darn sick of it. :D

Actually, as the sensible people have said :D this should be the biggest of our problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's weird, because I usually don't have to consciously think about pausing when unlocking the doors.

Just to make sure, I press it a bunch of times as I'm walking up to the car.
Why don't you shut the **** up and let somebody answer the question.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts