Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.wassup peoples... so as you all know i upgraded my brake system with stoptech bbk... before the install everything was fine with no flashes... after the install the abs/vsa was flashing on the dash... so the person who did the install called stoptech to see what had to be done to reset the error code... so he disconnected the abs modular peice from the engine along with the battery ...20 minutes passed and he then connected everything back ...nothing same shit... so he then inspected the speed sensor and found out that the driver side sensor was damaged ... how ? he has no clue ? he stated it happens when you do a brake sustem and have to work on the bearing ect. ect.... so now im pissed becuase i had to buy the replacement sensor that cost me about $100 bucks... had my pops install it and guess what ****ing abs/vsa still flashes ..so he said it might have to be scanned by the dealer to see what error cose it is and possibly have software update which means my hondata will be reseted back to stock...? anyone ever had a problem like this? what can i do before i take it to the dealer? if in factif the dealer has to scan to see whats going on will they also have to update ecu software? cuz then id really be pissed and would have to resend the chip back... any info would help...thanx

oh yea before i get flamed...lol.... i searched on here and didnt find a answer and also googled it to see but nada.... only thing i found was for other cars and thats all... so ill take any info ...

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Did your dad use a feeler gauge to properly distance the sensor from the pulse strip? If not, the sensor must be distanced according to the specification or it will not pick up the signal from the pule strip correctly. Also, are you sure you didn't damage the other side too? In my CD7, the ABS light would blink in a similar fashion to the OBDI CEL. A certain number of long and short blinks would tell you exactly what's wrong. I'm willing to be it's just not distanced properly.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy checked the other sensor and it was fine.... my dad just poped it in and bolted the sensor accordingly.... im gonna ask him tomorrow what u suggested about the distance? but what excatly is it if its juat a plug in play sensor?... thanx

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Check te DTC code with a scan tool. It will tell you exactly which part is malfuntioning. The light can only be reset by clearing the code with a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery won't work on this one.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check te DTC code with a scan tool. It will tell you exactly which part is malfuntioning. The light can only be reset by clearing the code with a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery won't work on this one.

i heard only the dealer has this scan tool for the error codes? so after they scan it and they find error codes whats next do they update computer software and will it reset my ecu chip back to stock being that i have hondata ?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
the guy checked the other sensor and it was fine.... my dad just poped it in and bolted the sensor accordingly.... im gonna ask him tomorrow what u suggested about the distance? but what excatly is it if its juat a plug in play sensor?... thanx
So the ABS system has evolved quite a bit since my the days of my old CD7. Anyways, instead of a magnetic pulse strip, you have a magnetic encoder strip. The sensor is supposed to be within:
front: 0.5mm-1.2mm
rear: 0.4mm-1.1mm

I always recommend you invest in a factory service manual if you're going to be doing ANYTHING to your car. My Acura service manual cost me about $60 shipped. Best $60 I ever spent on her.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
I should also add that the service manual is constantly warning to make sure that the magnetic encoder strip is clean and has NO metal particles on it. So, make sure it's clean and not scratched at all.

It also says that you cannot clear the trouble codes manually. You must use the handheld diagnostic tool (scanner). Also, I've never heard of anyone damaging their wheel sensors performing maintenance or upgrades on brake components. It sounds like this person working on your machine was quite careless and I'd bill him for his mistake. The BBK only requires putting the new rotors on, bolting up the new caliper bracket and caliper and attaching the SS lines. Not sure why/how your wheel sensor got messed up. What the hell was he doing down by your wheel bearing?

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the replacement sensor is brand new...ill check the other sensor to see if it has any debris on it... thanx for the info... hopefully this can be fixed...

edit: so i was googleing for abs/vsa troule shoot and came upon a forum about possibly wheel bearing not properly pressed or bearing being pressed backward so the magnet wont work ?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Yeah but why would you (or your guy) remove the wheel bearing to do the brake job? I mean, to remove the wheel bearing you need to fully remove the knuckle and press it out. There is no way you would need to do this unless you were in fact replacing the wheel bearing.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pissed......

Yeah but why would you (or your guy) remove the wheel bearing to do the brake job? I mean, to remove the wheel bearing you need to fully remove the knuckle and press it out. There is no way you would need to do this unless you were in fact replacing the wheel bearing.
Sorry I should of stated on first post that reason was because I went with arp extended studs in order for me to clear caliper n wheels n used a 15mm spacer n .... anyhow went to a honda dealer where a friend scaned n it gave me 2 error codes :

13-1 l/f speed sensor open or short
22-1 l/f pulsar failure

So since I replaced the speed sensor that's not it.... the guy stated to me that either the guy put the bearing backwards, did not press the bearing good or damaged the teeth on the bearing .... so now I have to come out of pocket lol... only me ... before I buy any parts he will look into it n tell me excactly what I need n will do it for me....

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you pay this guy? Sounds kinda like a scumbag if he doesn't cover some of the repair.
well i have not spoken to him but will let him know and see if he will cover the damages done... he thinks it was the speed sensor but in fact it was the wheel bearing... ...so ill be contacting him soon..thanx for the help dough this might help another member one day atleast...

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: so today i had my mechanic guy check this issue and the wheel bearing ring itself was cracked in half leaving one side stuck to the axle and one side stuck to the other side ....and this is what causiing my abs/vsa to flash and not working along with the speed sensor... im am being charged $262 with part and labor... my mechanice explained to me that the person pressing the wheel bearing to hard was the result of the part splitting in half....so with that being said beware of this when you go for extended studs and everything is being pressed with patience....below is a picture of half of the part stuck to the axle and stuck to the other side....

diagram #5 is the part that was damaged ....

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx guys....dude cost me $300 dollars more for the damages...only me..lol...

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got the car fixed finally...thanx to Epic auto in jersey city NJ....so they mechanic pull out the wheel bearing and come to find out not only did it fall apart in 2 peices but the magnet inside the bearing was chipped on the edges .... so the cuase of this was that when dude pressed it he pressed it to hard....im gonna show you pictures of the wheel bearing itself and the chip on the magnet itself....... i hope this helps someone when they have a situation so atleast you have an idea ....

red circle showing the chipped magnet

this how the wheel bearing looks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Glad you got that fixed. With that money spent, you could of just got some Kics wheels spacers or ebay if u wanna save. Gl I hope that guy at least help you cover some of that bill.

·
" It Is What It Is "
7,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea... im in the process of taking the bill to the guy...even dough he stated that as a mechanic for 10 years its impossible for an error..lol...

·
2004 TSX & 2007 R1
148 Posts
question... how did you do a scan? I'm thinking that I might have the same error but would love to know before I buy parts and put her apart! Thanks!

i have had a prob with the VSA/ABS/Engine/Triangle light all coming on at the same time... seems like your prob might be just half of my issue... thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts