Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was planning on getting an external hard drive and fill it up with music, i have about 60gigs of music, yes hard to believe i know. but i dont wanan get a ipod and use aux on it.

i was wondering is there an adapter or a way to use an external hard drive, get maybe a usb adapter and still control it through the radio or steering wheel controls?

or should i just get a really old ipod fill that up and use a iSimple kit?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
harddrives are not ideal for cars because of all the vibrations and such. Eventually it'll lead to premature wear and the harddrive will get the click of death. There are disks and other moving parts inside a harddrive so movement and vibration is fatal.

I have alot of music too but I realized that I will never be able to listen to most of it. I'd just buy a small mp3 player (ipod shuffle for example) and just put your most favorite songs on there and swap them out if you get bored of them. I find it to be redundant to get an iSimple kit when our cars have an aux port already, unless you really like the iSimple features

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
I have the iSimple merely so I can use the steering wheel controls.
Wait, you can change songs on the the ipod through the channel button on the steering wheel? I knew of the volume which is obvious but the songs changing? I'll try it. Never thought of it honestly.

OP: It's not abnormal to want an external for your music. I have 20 gigs of music alone and I have an external just for back up. But like people have stated before, it's not applicable really for a car. Get both a external for back up and an iPod/iPhone with iSimple to play in the car.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You can use a solid state hard drive and not have to worry about vibrations. You might be better off using a thumb drive though due to the costs of SSDs

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i work at a major retail store so my discount on hard drives is crazy, so solid state wont be too pricey for me. however how would i connect that to my car ? same thing if i do a 32gb flash drive ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was planning on getting an external hard drive and fill it up with music, i have about 60gigs of music, yes hard to believe i know. but i dont wanan get a ipod and use aux on it.

i was wondering is there an adapter or a way to use an external hard drive, get maybe a usb adapter and still control it through the radio or steering wheel controls?

or should i just get a really old ipod fill that up and use a iSimple kit?
I tried it with a 2.5''IDE laptop hard drive (Western Digital - 120 Go) in a an external case with an USB connector and it works perfectly. It is powered by the USB connection. All my music collection is now available in my car. I put the play mode in random and now I have my personal radio station.

N.B.:I had to format the hard drive in FAT32 format so it could be recognised (NTFS file format didn't work).

·
Triple Platinum Member
596 Posts
There's a kit from grom audio - I have one in each of my cars. Works great with USB sticks, which you can get in 64G. There are also automotive grade hard drives which are used in OEM nav/multimedia if you need more space. You could get an SSD, but you're paying for a lot more speed than is needed, and the flash in the USB stick will work just fine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts