Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my Ingalls ETD from a member. Needs a good paint job and some hardware. But I noticed that I can move the plunger part of the stiffy easily by hand, and it doesn't return to any sort of position. My experience with shocks tells me this is bad. Am I correct? Obviously, at full stiff this wouldn't be an issue.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
You can push the plunger inwards by hand easily?

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, and then it stays there. Should I be able to move it by hand?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
5,036 Posts
I think he sold you a broken one.

I don't recall being able to push mine in by hand.

Cause think about it. If you can push it in by hand, then the engine will have no problem pushing it in. And the whole purpose is to make it hard for the engine to push it in.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is exactly what I thought and why I asked. Hmm. I did ask to make sure it was in good working order, with no leaks, and the plunger fine. For EXACTLY this reason.
That's disappointing. I feel scammed.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
This is exactly what I thought and why I asked. Hmm. I did ask to make sure it was in good working order, with no leaks, and the plunger fine. For EXACTLY this reason.
That's disappointing. I feel scammed.

contact the seller and see what they say. PM me if things go sour and make sure you keep documentation on everything like PM's, txts, emails, etc

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a separate note, it was supposed to include hardware, and only arrived with 1 bolt, 2 metal washers, 1 rubber washer, and 1 nut. It may have been lost during shipping, but then thats just bad packaging in the first place :S.

If I'm correct, I should have: (?)
2 bolts
2 lock nuts
2 metal washers
2 rubber O rings
1 spacer
2 smaller lock nuts
1 hex head bolt
(This is from the replacement kit from ingalls)

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx tek, I'm hoping it wasn't on purpose. We will try and sort it out discreetly. No sense making a big deal out of it if it was an honest mistake. I just wanted to check if I was right about the plunger.
Still want to confirm it couldn't be movable by hand easily too.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gonna give ingalls a call tomorrow.
Next question:
Is running on full stuff bad to do? Will I be damaging anything?

·
5,036 Posts
Gonna give ingalls a call tomorrow.
Next question:
Is running on full stuff bad to do? Will I be damaging anything?

The instruction on mine said 10mm is the smallest you should go. I set mine to 11mm cause I was afraid to go past 10mm.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Talked to a guy at Ingalls. I'm not quite sure if he understood what I was asking as he kept insisting that there should be play in the plunger when set to soft (which we know), but it seems like it is okay. He said that the movement was fine and that only the rubber stoppers on either end will limit the engine movement. Basically the distance of the stoppers closes as the stiffness is increased. He didn't get around to answering if there was fluid inside the stiffy, but I guess that there is none!

Appears problem is solved with a happy ending :)

·
5,036 Posts
But you said the plunger does not return back out, which does not seem normal at all.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh right, I asked him about that as well, and he said that it is not supposed to return. His explanation is that there is just a rod with a flange at the end, bouncing between two rubber stoppers. So basically you can make this yourself really...
It appears that it is not quite as similar to suspension shocks as I thought.

·
5,036 Posts
I just find this really odd as I was not able to push the rod inward even at its default settings when I bought it brand new.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just find this really odd as I was not able to push the rod inward even at its default settings when I bought it brand new.
That's the exact info I was looking for. Someone who had experience with it. The guy on the phone may not have know what he was talking about... Maybe not so happy ending.
Are you sure on this? I have it on stiffest setting, so there is no play anyways right now. But if I get tired of the side effects, I don't know what I'll do lol.
Maybe I should just send it away to get rebuilt.
Can we confirm the plunger thing?

·
5,036 Posts
That's the exact info I was looking for. Someone who had experience with it. The guy on the phone may not have know what he was talking about... Maybe not so happy ending.
Are you sure on this? I have it on stiffest setting, so there is no play anyways right now. But if I get tired of the side effects, I don't know what I'll do lol.
Maybe I should just send it away to get rebuilt.
Can we confirm the plunger thing?

I can't really re-confirm because I have it on stiff and I really don't want to take it off and change the setting. But I do remember trying to push it in when I first bought it and I couldn't push it in.

I think you need to understand why and how the ETD works. It's a dampener just like shocks. When the car launches from a stop, the engine moves due to spinning components in the engine. When the engine moves, you lose torque power, thus engine torque dampener. Thus the purpose of the ETD is to reduce this movement by resisting the engine from moving. The reason why there's dampening is to give comfort for the driver so it won't feel like you have solid motor mounts. BTW, I view an ETD as another form of upgraded motor mounts.

Now that I explained the purpose of the ETD, we need to discuss about what you have right now. If you can push the plunger in with your hand, your engine will have no problem pushing it in. Now if the plunger does not return out, then there is NO resistance. That means the engine will end up moving as much as it wants.

What you described about your ETD is what I think is a broken ETD.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol Cyn, I know how this is supposed to work (or so I thought), which is exactly why I asked in the first place. Otherwise I wouldn't have thought to ask in the first place.
What you said, is what I said to the guy at Ingalls. And he told me that it DOESN'T work like that. Which at the time left me with a pause, as I was a bit shocked.
He said, that all there is are two rubber stops. The plunger is allowed to bounce freely between them. He said there is no "neutral" position that it is supposed to be in, and so no return mechanism (fluid pressure?). Basically the more stiff the setting the less travel the plunger has between the rubber stops that absorb the motion. This means at soft, the engine has enough play to idle freely without contacting the stops too much, (comfort) and will only start to make a different under hard rev as the engine rocks. If it is stiff, all motion is dampened.
If he was knowledgeable and not lying, the travel of the plunger is not the dampening mechanism, the absorbing rubber stops are. The travel is only to allow minor vibration to be ignored (idle). This is somewhat confirmed when you look at the rebuild kits ingalls sells online.
I'll give them another call for sure tho. I do know that when uninstalled. The plunger doesn't move much 1/4-1/2 inch as it is. And only on direction if its stuck at one end (no return to the "middle"). So I thought it was stuff too when I got it. But playing with it found the "issue"

·
5,036 Posts
Hmm, I honestly could be wrong about it being like shocks and that the internals could just be rubber stoppers. What you explained in that post makes perfect sense and I do think the person you're talking to is knowledgeable. Now you really make me want to take off my ETD and test it but it's such a hassle because I do not have the right tools right now to adjust the dampening (you need a huge socket wrench)

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'll try calling them again. Don't go through any trouble! I have it on full stiff. I'll send a message to Marcus too maybe. I'm sure he'll know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.