Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if you can split power from the stock radio and use it for an external device (mp3 player or xm radio)- instead of using the cigarette lighter plug?

thanks

·
By Appointment Only
172 Posts
Hey Nick,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you b/c I just don't know, but I was wondering if you were Greek?

I myself am one-hundred percent Greek, it would be nice to virtually meet another fellow Greek TSX owner.

If you are Greek..... Yia Sou.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nick Papgeorgio said:
Does anyone know if you can split power from the stock radio and use it for an external device (mp3 player or xm radio)- instead of using the cigarette lighter plug?

thanks

If you remove the plug underenealth the radio, you'll see a wiring harness. You'll need to locate the yellow wire, and that provides power straight from the battery. Now if you want ACC power, you should just splice into the cigarette lighter from behind. When I hooked up my Sirius, I tapped into the yellow line for the memory, and use the cigarette lighter wire for the ACC. Hope this helps.

-Jimmy

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club Jimmmmmmah!!! :wavey:

Joker - who is happy to see you over here :woot:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimmmmmmah!!! said:
If you remove the plug underenealth the radio, you'll see a wiring harness. You'll need to locate the yellow wire, and that provides power straight from the battery. Now if you want ACC power, you should just splice into the cigarette lighter from behind. When I hooked up my Sirius, I tapped into the yellow line for the memory, and use the cigarette lighter wire for the ACC. Hope this helps.

-Jimmy

Jimmy,

thanks for the response

I will need the ACC to power up my xm radio - will the power be too much - (12v's) - from what i understand the xm radio only needs 6v's. - how did you get around that?

I assume the cigarette lighter in the not an astry box has several power wires leading to it. which ones should i splice? Once spliced did you buy a particular RCA wire to attach?

Would happen to have nay pictures of your install?

thanks again.

Oh yeah one more......when using your siruis radio can you still use you r cigarette lighter - or will you blow a fuse??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doc said:
Hey Nick,

Sorry I don't have an answer for you b/c I just don't know, but I was wondering if you were Greek?

I myself am one-hundred percent Greek, it would be nice to virtually meet another fellow Greek TSX owner.

If you are Greek..... Yia Sou.

No, I am Italian/AMercian. If you thought that from the screen name i can see why. The screen name should have read "Nick Papageorgio" - from the National Lapoons Vegas Vacation, but i misspelled the name.

By the way i do like when girls speak Greek, if you know what i mean!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nick Papgeorgio said:
Jimmy,

thanks for the response

I will need the ACC to power up my xm radio - will the power be too much - (12v's) - from what i understand the xm radio only needs 6v's. - how did you get around that?

I assume the cigarette lighter in the not an astry box has several power wires leading to it. which ones should i splice? Once spliced did you buy a particular RCA wire to attach?

Would happen to have nay pictures of your install?

thanks again.

Oh yeah one more......when using your siruis radio can you still use you r cigarette lighter - or will you blow a fuse??
If you pull off the box the console that has the cigarette lighter and the "not an ashtray," you will see a white wire with a red stripe I believe. There should be like a 2 pin black connector for it. The black line is the ground, and the white line is the 12v ACC you'll need. There is no extra RCA wire or anythign to buy since all you need to do is tap into this line from the ACC of the tuner. You can also go down to the local hardware store and pick up a wire tapping connecting. I just tend to splice and soldier it all in. Makes it a solid connection.

Yes, the XM will only need 6v, but you can also use the 12v from the cigarette lighter instead. That's how I installed my Sirius and I tapped into the cigarette lighter for the ACC, and the yellow wire from under the dash for the Battery/Mem. You can use the cigarette lighter and the tuner at the same time because the fuse on there was design to hand 2 cigarette lights. If you blow a fuse, just upgrade it. It's pretty simple. I've been doing installs on car electronics since I was 8 years old, so it's pretty simple once you figure out the basics. I'll have a picture of it shortly as I'm a bit busy today. Hope this helps.

-Jimmy

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Jimmmmmmah!!! said:
If you pull off the box the console that has the cigarette lighter and the "not an ashtray," you will see a white wire with a red stripe I believe. There should be like a 2 pin black connector for it. The black line is the ground, and the white line is the 12v ACC you'll need. There is no extra RCA wire or anythign to buy since all you need to do is tap into this line from the ACC of the tuner. You can also go down to the local hardware store and pick up a wire tapping connecting. I just tend to splice and soldier it all in. Makes it a solid connection.

Yes, the XM will only need 6v, but you can also use the 12v from the cigarette lighter instead. That's how I installed my Sirius and I tapped into the cigarette lighter for the ACC, and the yellow wire from under the dash for the Battery/Mem. You can use the cigarette lighter and the tuner at the same time because the fuse on there was design to hand 2 cigarette lights. If you blow a fuse, just upgrade it. It's pretty simple. I've been doing installs on car electronics since I was 8 years old, so it's pretty simple once you figure out the basics. I'll have a picture of it shortly as I'm a bit busy today. Hope this helps.

-Jimmy
great info! :thumbsup:
can't wait to see pics. Have any of your Sirius setup too?

·
Registered
54 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
great info! :thumbsup:
can't wait to see pics. Have any of your Sirius setup too?
As promised, pictures of my sirius setup

I painted the kenwood controller black, because it looks a whole lot better in black than silver. The 4 big buttons, I didn't paint because the paint will evenually rub off from using them too much.

-Jimmy

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
^^ that's sweet!! It blends in quite nicely! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great install.\

I'll have to pull out the main console bin and look for that white wire with the red strip b/c i dont know how to remove the cigarette lighter "not a bin" console.

So once i find that wire i can splice the ac power plug (from xm radio) and the
car acc wire together, right? -seems simple enough. DId you have to remove the battery when you installed this?
I am still confused on how the xm will only pull 6v if the line is providing 12V? especially when i am removing the power conveter from the xm acc power cord(the thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter).

thanks for the help

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wait wait... What model number is your XM Unit? You are very confused at the moment in terms of what you need to do. Unless I understand you correctly, you're going to pop open the XM Cigarette power cable, to remove the power inverter???? Doesn't the unit have a way to connect without the cigarette cable?

-Jimmy

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no. LOL. i have the roady 2 which comes with the cigarette lighter power adapter. THe cigarette lighter plugs into the XM radio with a standard 6v power plug port - the other side plugs directly into the cigarette ligther.

that is the only way my xm gets power.

- i know i can buy power adapters - i think that is what i might need

1 - 17 of 17 Posts